PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Journal - "Olynyk persists as tower of strength for Kamloops"

ZagNative
12-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Really nice story about Kelly Olynyk (Olynyk persists as tower of strength for Kamloops), in a dominating performance.

Six-foot-10 swingman leads Titans with 48 points in REB final

By Chris O'LearyDecember 14, 2008

After facing him on the court for just one night, the Jasper Place Rebels senior boys basketball team has seen enough of Kelly Olynyk.

The six-foot-10 guard/forward of the South Kamloops (B.C.) Titans did a lot of everything in Saturday's championship game at the REB Invitational Basketball tournament.

He effortlessly brought the ball up the floor against guards who gave up well over a foot in height to him. He shot the three-pointer and he worked away on the inside, rebounding at both ends of the floor and blocking shots.

The tournament's Most Valuable Player accounted for almost half of his team's offence with 48 points in his team's 105-86 win over Jasper Place.

Rebels coach Rick Stanley was impressed with Olynyk's all-around skills.

"The thing I like about him is he's such a good passer. He's got such a good touch," Stanley said.

"We tried to double down on him and boom, he's finding the open man. He's a beautiful player to watch."

Olynyk had 31 points in the game's first half, which was the most competitive portion of Saturday night's game. After falling behind nine points at the end of the first quarter, the Rebels stormed back, opening the second quarter with a 10-0 run to take their first lead of the game.

spudzag
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Now that article brought a smile to my face. :)

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Thata boy, Kelly!

There's no denying the potential.

thespywhozaggedme
12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Sounds just like OKD. Notice I said, sounds. I have no idea if his game is anything like Austins, if it is that wouldn't be too bad to replace Austin with Canadian Austin, with the exchange rate, Kelly should be 90% as good as the original. I'll take it.

finechina2003
12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
What a monster game! Is Kelly's season generating additional schools interest in him?

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Kelly seems to be on Michigan's radar. This blog entry is from early August, but Kelly's stock presumably has only risen since that point, so I'd think that the Wolverines would still interested. Also, this site mentions that USD has shown some interest as well.

http://www.umhoops.com/2008/08/03/recruiting-notes-whos-next/

BobZag
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
What a monster game! Is Kelly's season generating additional schools interest in him?

It can't hurt. Spring will be verrrrrry interesting.

Scotto
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I was at this tournament with my team and watched Kelly play twice. While dominating on the score sheet, I wasn't overly impressed with his work ethic. He was very nonchalant and looked uninterested at times. That being said, he pretty much can do anything he wants on the court and this may account for disinterest. I have been a fan of his since he was a freshman and hope the Zags land him.

ZagNative
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Looks like Kelly's team will play again this weekend, in the Fulton Cup tournament (http://skss.sd73.bc.ca/). Wonder how many he'd score when not sleepwalking...

More a about the Fulton Cup here (http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/35985224.html), though no mention of Kelly.

spudzag
12-16-2008, 03:43 PM
If I remember right those are the kind of numbers Austin was putting up his senior year. Spring could be very interesting.

Radbooks
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
What kind of competition is he playing against now? Are the teams competing in either of these tournaments comparable to 4A type teams in Washington State or what? I don't think of Kamloops as a huge place, but it's been a long time since I've been up there. :) I'm just curious...

BobZag
12-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Looks like Kelly's team will play again this weekend, in the Fulton Cup tournament (http://skss.sd73.bc.ca/). Wonder how many he'd score when not sleepwalking...

More a about the Fulton Cup here (http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/35985224.html), though no mention of Kelly.

Keep us updated on this and beyond, ZN. ;)

ZagNative
12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Tip-off for the boys final for the Fulton Cup will be at 7:00 pm tonight. Hope Kelly has some big fun and a big game tonight!

MickMick
12-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Is there room for him?

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Is there room for him?

Outgoing: Jeremy, Josh, Micah, Ira, Andrew Sorensen, Austin (crosses fingers)

Incoming: Manny, Bol, Sam, Elias and Kelly (crosses fingers)

To answer your question: yes.

MDABE80
12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I hope we get a good look at Montreal.....kid is continuing to pile up pts and boards. Seems like he has a real big future. I don't know if the coaches are still on him.

NorthoftheBorder
12-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Andrew Sorenson doesn''t have a scholarship. I'm pretty sure Olynyk won't want to walk on so if Bol Kong is able to join Gu then the only way there would be room for Olynyk would be if Austin leaves.

spudzag
12-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Remember there is an open scholorship right now. One more space to fill. Will keep sprong interesting.

zag67
12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Yes there is one more open. I would therefore think it will either be a Big or someone like Olynyk. I think that he woud fit in.

If Robert has to do a medical redshirt, then I think that Olynyk would be a great pick up. For bigs we would be pretty well set next year (Robert, Will, Dower, and Poling) and then maybe be able to pick up the Frenchman from NIC the following year.

cjm720
12-19-2008, 07:22 AM
The more I think about the more we need a shooter. We have Bouldin and Gray along with Gibbs for next year. We will have very little outside depth.

GO ZAGS!!!