• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Losses aren't always bad

Especially in the beginning of the year. This is the time to learn how to correct the things that need fixing. I think being ranked 7th or 8th is real good for this time of year. Teams in front of us are going to lose too. The Zags will move up as the year goes forth.

Playing on the road in opposition territory is difficult. Just ask Duke. And actually Arizona, who lost at Texas A&M about the same way we did. Arizona played a great game, just as Michigan did when they beat Duke. We came way closer to winning our game than Duke did. The game just got away from Duke. Ours never did. The Zags fought back and could have won.

I have been waiting for a game like this one. Every team is going to have them, and I was anxious to see how we would respond. It was great to see us fight our way back. The guys showed a lot of guts and fire.

I also wanted to see who our go-to-guy would be in crunch time. Yesterday it was Pargo. There's nothing wrong with Jeremy being that guy, but yesterday was not the day to have Jeremy attacking in the lane. They (Arizona) had the lane completely blocked all game long. It was very unfortunate that he made those mistakes that he did (the travelling call and the turnover on the baseline), and hopefully he'll learn from them. 7 turnovers is unimaginable, and obviously he has a lot to think about. I believe in Jeremy, and I think he will. I think we will see a very different game from him this Saturday.

The Zags were not prepared for that press, and I am not worried about it. We have great ball handlers and very smart guys. They were just unprepared and I think surprised by it. They will be practicing against that a lot this week I am sure. These are reasons to schedule these kinds of games. Arizona was able to show us something that we need to work on, and we will.

The Zags are still the great team that we all believe they are. Let's not let one setback, or two or three, make us lose our confidence in these guys. They are special, and my belief that they are is not a reflection of drinking Kool Aid. It's my experience from watching a lot of basketball, coaching and even playing. There is a lot of talent on the team. To have been that close when our two best players have an off night, and still be that close to a very good team, I think says as much positive about our guys as it says about negative things. After a loss us fans do tend to get a little negative, and I don't see anything wrong with that. We are HUMAN TOO. Let's just bounce back, and get ready for Wednesday night where our Zags will finally be coming home. As I said in another thread, these guys have done one hell of a job on that very very long road trip. THEY ARE HOME and lets all show them all the love they deserve. Let's help them take the next step of getting back on the horse.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • johnwzag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2008

I still have the belief that this is the best Zag team ever. Well balanced and still fine tuning the team.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

• 75Zag
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Do you suppose that the Bulldogs have a sign in their locker room that says "Losses aren't always bad"?

I think not. This post is BS.

Go Bulldogs. Win the BIS!
      Do not go gentle into that good night,
      Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
      Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

JohnWzag says, "still have the belief that this is the best Zag team ever."

I'd be interested JohnWzag how you see this team is better than the '99 team. Not that I disagree yet, but for right now, I'm not so sure they're better than '99. But maybe you can convince me.

Comment

• kdoggy
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

Learn and Moveon....

It was one of those game where the opponent was more up for the game than the Zags. The Zags weren't totally lifeless, but 'Zona was jacked. Those games happen to every team, every year. The Zags are a better team than Arizona, and will be better for losing down the road. I think its possible for teams and fans (myself included) get a little too pleased with themselves.

I think this loss is a good one. Great program, away environment, great players, and they hung in without the A-game.

Now, what I don't want to see is a demoralizing stinker of a loss against UConn. Like the Tennesee loss last year, I think it firmly planted the fact that the Zags wasn't among the elite programs. We looked like a team that would make the tourney and lose in the first round. I see this team as something quite a bit better.

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Remember the UCLA game?

The Arizona game seemed eerily similar in one respect.

The Zags were unable to cope with intense defensive pressure in the clutch.

Gonzaga must come to terms with this or we can expect similar results again.

In that respect the loss was good because it exposed a weakness.

The question now is.....can they resolve it?

Right now, the Zags look like a Sweet Sixteen team to me. We all know that after the first two wins, the going gets really, really tough. Wait until SMC fans experience it (RB will get them there someday). They will see a quantum jump in the quality of opponents and intensity of play at that field of sixteen level. You simply cannot go any further without flawless play from the point. The hype is peeled away like clothing and the real players (for good or bad) are exposed for all to see.

Right now that barrier looks as formidable to me as it ever has.

Edit: Nic Wise looks like a player that could get it done at that intensity level.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• alaskazagnut

That premiss is falacious, IMO

If a loss is good then 2 must be better, and hence, 3 losses even better than 2 losses. The UW football team had a good season?

We all know that there are good things that can come from losing. Character building, staying under the radar, learning about what we need to work on, etc, etc, etc. But the reason we play the game is to win. Period. Therefore, a loss is not good, and a win is good.

Dealing with the hand you are given, good or bad is the real test of character and therefore, IMO is why losing tends to be confused with being a positive thing. The primary positive thing from losing is survival of the fittest and "if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger". But if you win you already are stronger. So just win in the first place.

If we MUST lose, better to lose now, than in March.

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

I was a pretty good basketball player in high school, and I played for a high school that seldom lost. When I was a Junior we were undefeated state champions. My senior year we lost a few games because we didn't have a guy on our team taller than 6 feet. I remember after a game we lost, a friend of mine, who wasn't even on the team, came into the locker room and called me every bad name he could think of. He didn't know enough about how to play the game in a way that our coach expected so he never even turned out after his Freshman year. Yet he knew it all. He was just a guy who couldn't handle losing, AND obviously especially couldn't tolerate other people losing. This guy died at the young age of 42 of a heart attack and left a wife and four wonderful daughters behind to go on and live without him.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                  I was a pretty good basketball player in high school, and I played for a high school that seldom lost. When I was a Junior we were undefeated state champions. My senior year we lost a few games because we didn't have a guy on our team taller than 6 feet. I remember after a game we lost, a friend of mine, who wasn't even on the team, came into the locker room and called me every bad name he could think of. He didn't know enough about how to play the game in a way that our coach expected so he never even turned out after his Freshman year. Yet he knew it all. He was just a guy who couldn't handle losing, AND obviously especially couldn't tolerate other people losing. This guy died at the young age of 42 of a heart attack and left a wife and four wonderful daughters behind to go on and live without him.
                  and your point is to enjoy the game whether you win or lose?? Maybe I'm in the minority on this topic, but I am pretty competitive and I am not following you with this one.

Comment

• zagfan08
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Hello? You play to win the game.

Losing is not good. Convincing yourself that losing is okay is also not good. We have become a top program in the country over the past decade. Top programs don't accept losing. There is no game this year, not even North Carolina, where we should allow ourselves to be satisfied with a loss.

However, teams are often exposed in the process of losing. Gonzaga needs to handle pressure better. We also need guys to step up and make a play in the closing minutes of a tight game. We will be in more tight games throughout the year, we'll need guys to make plays in crunch time.

Bottom line is learn from the loss and move on. But do not trick yourself into thinking losing is okay. It isn't.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
                      Do you suppose that the Bulldogs have a sign in their locker room that says "Losses aren't always bad"?

I think not. This post is BS.

Go Bulldogs. Win the BIS!
                      This loss isn't bad. The post is NOT BS. It taught they guys a touch of humility. They certainly seemed to be believing their own press. Problem was that the "press" wasn't playing the game, they were. Did they lose to a lesser team, perhaps. A loss can help refocus them. I am sure they will come out with a bit more desire the next time around.

Learn and move on.
                      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2007

I am still feeling like crap. I can not wait for us to get on the court again, and win.

Comment

• FrosTbear
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                          Especially in the beginning of the year. This is the time to learn how to correct the things that need fixing. I think being ranked 7th or 8th is real good for this time of year. Teams in front of us are going to lose too. The Zags will move up as the year goes forth.

The Zags are still the great team that we all believe they are. Let's not let one setback, or two or three, make us lose our confidence in these guys. They are special, and my belief that they are is not a reflection of drinking Kool Aid. It's my experience from watching a lot of basketball, coaching and even playing. There is a lot of talent on the team. To have been that close when our two best players have an off night, and still be that close to a very good team, .
                          First You need to take a deep breath and slow down....you are all over the place some good ideas like "This is the time to learn how to correct the things that need fixing" Second as the top Kool Aid salesman I can only hope you re-think this point- When you take the true Kool Aid TEST you believe and know that this is the best team and the reason they keep score is to have a winner or loser. The last point the game I watched there were more than "two best players that had an off night.
                          “Great plays wins games, but teamwork and hard work wins championships.”

Comment

• jim77
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

If losing allows one to evaluate and improve their game then it's tolerable....however, like the flu, sometimes its contagious....and spreads. Only 1 team this year has a chance to go undefeated...that is the national champion....and even they might not be undefeated. Personally, I'd be thrilled with a 2 or 3 loss national championship!

Go out and play hard and smart ZAGS...and don't let the opposing teams center(hill) walk around with that "SMIRK"......as Pargo said: "we need to man up"...take it to Texas and THEN to Uconn.....the crowd is gonna be ballistic Saturday! (thursday too) GO ZAGS!

Comment

• finechina2003
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2007

First, I agree that a true competitor is never happy or satisfied with a loss. But, I also believe, that in hindsight and over time, a team MAY make some adjustments and improvements specifically because of a loss and will actually point to that loss as being a good thing for the team. Is this the case with the Arizona game? I don't know. Only time will tell if lessons were learned and adjustments were made specifically because of this loss. Unless this happens - the loss to Arizona was ALL bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X