PDA

View Full Version : Rivals Article on GU Loss

omahazag
12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Not sure i'm buying what Mike Huguenin is selling...has he watched us play this year? Anyway, worth the read.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=889409

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't understand his point about "losable" games. Every program worth its salt plays a tough schedule. Why is that a drawback for GU?

I also don't understand his point about the other WCC teams knowing the "Zags' weaknesses and how to attack them." EVERY team in EVERY league scouts their opponents. I'm sure the Zags have got on SMC and USD too.

I actually kinda think that his editor just wanted someone to play devil's advocate. Anyhow, he made some pretty weak arguments.

MedZag
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
"Outside of senior Jeremy Pargo, the Zags don't have any other guards who can play lockdown defense – and that's going to cost them."
I'd argue Meech's defense is at times better than Pargo's. And our wings have done a pretty good job of helping when our guards get beat on the dribble.

"In addition, when Pargo has a bad game offensively, Gonzaga is going to struggle."
As last year showed, that is actually the opposite. We aren't reliant on Pargo for points, at all. But what the 'Zona loss showed is that we ARE reliant on Pargo for his assists and for keeping TOs down. When Pargo is facilitating and running the offense smoothly his points come as a result.

Pargo is the Zags' only top-flight ballhandler, and coaches have to worry about him wearing down.
Meech's handles are as good as P's for breaking a full court press, and Matt and Steven are more than servicable with the ball in their hands. Downs can even put it on the floor a bit.