PDA

View Full Version : Last Nights Shoot Around

Sacto
03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Took the kids to watch the open practice and came away with the following observations:

Saw Indiana, Weber State, and GU. Few is the only coach who worked the kids hard and had something even resembling a practice. Indiana and Weber just shot around and went through the motions. After 20-25 minutes Few turned them loose and they had fun. Pargo challenged Downs to a dunk contest. He tried to get PMAC involved but he declined. Pargo and Downs put on quite a show. They all looked very loose. My impression of Indiana was exactly the opposite. There is a fine line between being "focused" and "tight". I can't tell which but they definitely were not having fun. On a side note Mike Montgomery was at the GU practice and he and Few were in conversation for at least half of the 40 minute practice, lots of speculation on why, I didn't realize he and Few were that close.

wazZag
03-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Interesting about Fewie and MM. I imagine Few knows better than almost anyone how to prep a team for the tourney. I think focusing the players for a short session and then letting the guys relax is smart. They are disciplined, they know what they're there for, and have been there before. Man I cannot wait...

lothar98zag
03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
thanks for the report.

I don't think much can be read into these public "practices" (I saw GU's pre-sw16 session last yr in OAK) but it is nice to know everyone seemed relaxed and were able to get some quality time in on the court they'll be playing on tonight. The dunk contest sounds fun - they didn't do anything close to that last year...

Thomas_Sutpen
03-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Pargo challenged Downs to a dunk contest. He tried to get PMAC involved but he declined. Pargo and Downs put on quite a show. They all looked very loose.

Who won the contest, in your opinion? Thanks for the report!

Sacto
03-15-2007, 10:18 AM
DOWNS...From the charity stripe, Off the glass, spin, Thundering left handed slam..The place erupted and Pargo walked away with a smile.

ZagNative
03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
DOWNS...From the charity stripe, Off the glass, spin, Thundering left handed slam..The place erupted and Pargo walked away with a smile.
I love Pargo! He obviously was pleased with himself for accomplishing exactly what he set out to do - to fire up Downs.

gamagin
03-15-2007, 10:24 AM
If pargo is slamming w/downs that says his bruised thigh is a non issue. great !

how about sean ?

CDC84
03-15-2007, 10:27 AM
One of the reasons why Monty might've been there was to visit with Weber State head coach Randy Rahe. Rahe was a long time assistant of Stew Morrill's at Utah State....Morrill is very close with Monty (he's an ex-assistant).

zagirl2k
03-15-2007, 12:52 PM
As we were driving home from work, Monty was doing radio for the Wazzu game from Sacramento so that would be the primary reason he was there. Ted Robinson was the play by play guy. If you knew it would stay for the whole game, they would likely be a much better duo to listen to than the tv guys.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-15-2007, 01:07 PM
ted robinson is doing the play by play with mike montgomery as the color commentator for westwood one's radio coverage of the sacramento games...thats why montgomery is there and they will be calling the gu-indiana game tonight for westwood one