PDA

View Full Version : TSN rant on UConn/Gonzaga TV coverage

CDC84
12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=497244

As everybody finishes up their final exams and tries to stuff in one more game before the holidays, 20 of the top 25 teams in the coaches' poll will play games Saturday, including five head-to-head confrontations. Not that the top 25 contains any legitimate information regarding how the best teams in the country should be properly ordered, but what can be said for certain is that most of the ranked teams are of reasonably high quality. So when there are five games between such teams, we've got ourselves a heck of a day: Connecticut vs. Gonzaga, Michigan State at Texas, Duke vs. Xavier, Syracuse at Memphis and Purdue vs. Davidson. There isn't any question which is the best of the lot: UConn-Gonzaga at 4 p.m. ET in Seattle. Word is CBS will capitalize on Stephen Curry's popularity by making Davidson's game the national attraction in that slot and feeding Huskies-Bulldogs only to small sections of the nation. It's highly unfortunate CBS has chosen to regionalize its telecast of such a game. Everybody should get the chance to see it. It provides a reminder of why so many would love to see another network charged with broadcasting the NCAA Tournament. When I heard CBS' Jim Nantz bragging during the Georgetown-Memphis game about all the top teams that would be on his network's air a week hence, I thought they were going to present a quadrupleheader. That would have been a sweet Christmas gift. A regionalized doubleheader is only a slight upgrade from a lump of coal.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Cheers to that! Well said!

jazzdelmar
12-15-2008, 11:54 AM
cbs has been terrible for decades, esp in the NCAA....fans have no choice but to suck it up and hope for the best...back when ESPN did it, almost every game was 'cast, sure most delayed, but still...cbs and its on air personnel are arrogant. to wit, the first wkend is meaningless and if some cinderella goes thru, oh well they wont last. the chalk teams take over in the S16 and thats when knob heads Packer and Nantz get into it.....the studio show, with Fat Gumbel, is even worse. Seth Davis is a good addition, but he always picks the Zags to get to the FF and we know how thats worked out. and that music? makes me wanna run to the fridge or the bathroom...u just know there are gonna be 2-3 lengthy timeouts in a row, enough to read the Times or write a thesis....

Thomas_Sutpen
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
cbs has been terrible for decades, esp in the NCAA....fans have no choice but to suck it up and hope for the best...back when ESPN did it, almost every game was 'cast, sure most delayed, but still...

CBS has made every game available streaming online for the last three years, I believe. You can watch them live, watch them again, slo-mo, rewind, etc. There's no reason to miss anything.

March Madness On Demand (http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod/get-notified)

That is too bad about UCONN-GU however.

LongIslandZagFan
12-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I will say this... MMOD last year rocked. I watched a ton of games while "working".

jazzdelmar
12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
CBS has made every game available streaming online for the last three years, I believe. You can watch them live, watch them again, slo-mo, rewind, etc. There's no reason to miss anything.

March Madness On Demand (http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod/get-notified)

That is too bad about UCONN-GU however.

good pt TS..if u like ur games in sluggish mo and the playrs looking arthritic,,,no sub for an HD gm on real TV.....

BigTymeONIONS
12-15-2008, 06:20 PM
If you have a decent internet connection, the online games are ok but as you said, it's nothing like on tv. One thing CBS does have going it's way is Gus Johnson announcing. I could listen to that guy announce anything. He was calling the Morrison bank against Ok St. and the runner against Florida to get to the elite 8.