PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga will never go undefeated

Reborn
12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
with Mark Few as coach. Few will play anyone anywhere. I had this down as a loss from the first day I heard we were playing in Arizona. Arizona is a very tough team at home, and as we saw they have some pretty good players. It is just so hard to win on the road, and when you play good teams like Arizona at home, you are going to lose some of those. We beat the Cougs in Spokane, so we're one and one. We still need to go to Utah and Tennessee. I hope we can split those as well.

The Zags also play horribly the weekend after finals. We were just sooooo tired today. You could see it. And 6 straight road games??????? And they were all TOUGH, accept for maybe Indiana. And that is a tough place to plaY.
All in all we should be proud of the Zags for accomplishing what they have. Perspective helps. I think the biggest factor in this game was the Zags being tired. Tired of being on the road. Tired from taking exams. When you are tired you tend to make a lot more mental mistakes, and the Zags really made a lot today.

It isn't bad to lose. But I sure hate it. A lot. I'm sure the team hates it worse than any of us. But perspective is the key here. I think we will lose a couple more this year. Let's hope just one more. That would be nice. But there are some very rough games ahead of us.

What I like about Gonzaga is our willingness to play anyone anywhere. I love that philosophy. It's too bad that teams, like Arizona, are unwilling to come into Spokane to play. That is one thing that I DON'T like about the pac 10. I also feel that Few has built up enough respect now that he doesn't need to schedule PAC 10 teams unless they come to Spokane. It's home and home at least in a neutral site or not at all.
The monkey is off the back now.

Zag79
12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
and even if we played an easier schedule the odds of Gonzaga or any school going undeafeated is lofty (and IMO unreasonable) goal. play solid, consistent hoop and regardless of wins and losses this team will go far.

MickMick
12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Indiana did.

Who else?

BSUBronco74
12-14-2008, 06:11 PM
when I saw the quotes from Zag player(s) last week stating that "we could go undefeated", I knew the jig was up. When you're only 7 games into a very long season, with games against powerhouse programs yet to come, that's the worst possible thing you could utter to the press.

Pretty sure it was prime bulletin board material in the Arizona locker room going into the game. Coach Few should have told those young men to zip it, or should have never let it happen in the first place. You know what they say about where pride goeth.

Lessons learned. After the first half, the Arizona gameplan was evident, and perfectly orchestrated right up to the final buzzer. Their coach did a fine job of managing Jordan Hill's minutes after he got in foul trouble. They (UA)should keep the guy on full time.

MDABE80
12-14-2008, 06:26 PM
If they don't learn some humility, we'll win lots of games but we'll lose a lot more. This crazy talk of being better than someone........or having too much confidence is that "pride cometh before a fall" stuff. It can NEVER be successful.....!! I hope somebody drills it into the kids' heads.

Gonzdb8
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
The Zags also play horribly the weekend after finals. We were just sooooo tired today. You could see it. And 6 straight road games??????? And they were all TOUGH, accept for maybe Indiana. And that is a tough place to plaY.
All in all we should be proud of the Zags for accomplishing what they have. Perspective helps. I think the biggest factor in this game was the Zags being tired. Tired of being on the road. Tired from taking exams. When you are tired you tend to make a lot more mental mistakes, and the Zags really made a lot today.

finals don't start until tomorrow. last week was prep week. prep week isn't like it was when i went to school and we called it "dead week", nowdays we expect the students to attend class and a lot of profs have end of semester assignments due during prep week. honestly, i was somewhat shocked that we scheduled a road game the day before finals begin. i have no doubt that studying for finals while simultaneiously preparing for a tough road game against UA was at least part of why they looked so road weary.

Dishman Coug
12-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't think so, and I think you are better than they are. AND, I think they see ASU as a bigger target on that trip on the Thursday.

Reborn
12-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Dishman Coug! If UCLA takes that kind of an attitude they will lose. Arizona IS a good team. Their win of the Zags is going to do everything positive for them. That was a huge win for UA. It was a confidence builder. UA is going to beat UCLA anyway at home.

GonzagaDynasty
12-15-2008, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=Reborn;317960]with Mark Few as coach. Few will play anyone anywhere. I had this down as a loss from the first day I heard we were playing in Arizona. Arizona is a very tough team at home, and as we saw they have some pretty good players. It is just so hard to win on the road, and when you play good teams like Arizona at home, you are going to lose some of those. We beat the Cougs in Spokane, so we're one and one. We still need to go to Utah and Tennessee. I hope we can split those as well.

we beat WSU in Pullman,. actually.