VinnyZag
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
A surprisingly poor game for the seniors tonight:

Pargo: 37 minutes, 2-7 FGs, 4 pts, 5 assists, 7TOs
Heytvelt: 34 minutes, 1-4 FGs, 6 pts, 8 rebounds
Downs: 35 minutes, 2-5 FGs, 0-2 3FGs, 4 pts, 2 rebounds
Brown: a few minutes, 0-0 FGs, 0 pts, 2 rebounds

combined shooting: 5-16, 14 points

Did anybody else get the sense that something just wasn't right with those guys? Like maybe they were all ill or something?

NEC26
12-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I was wondering the same thing.Seemed like no energy out there.

btzag
12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
They were off for sure but I thought the effort was there but just wasn't their night. Downs and Ira just couldn't do much of anything right and Josh got outplayed by a monster game from Hill. Pargo was trying to make plays but just seemd to be swarmed anytime he got past his initial defender. 7 TO's! Ouch.

In big tight games like this they must step up and make plays down the stretch but didn't happen at all today. Really makes me curious about that UConn game to see the response...

alaskazagnut
12-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Except for Daye. ??? That game makes no sense unless AU is just better than everyone thought. We took them for granted.

Maybe they thought they were going to go undefeated this year. Overconfidence?

Nah, AU is good and we had a bad day. UCONN is coming up and this was a necessary evil in order to learn how to finish when the momentum is on our side.

HRZag
12-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Vinny, check the minutes. Downs did not play much, if at all, in the second half.

Josh seemed like he was sleep walking. Actually, all three (four) seniors just didn't seem to be up to speed tonight.

Either they were all sick, tired or ????

VinnyZag
12-14-2008, 04:38 PM
the minutes were according to cbssportsline.com. Gozags.com didn't have a box up when I posted, and ESPN didn't have minutes totals. I agree, that did seem like too many minutes for Downs, who was barely in the game in the second half (and who, frankly, didn't seem to be in the game when he WAS in the game).

Zag79
12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
the guys were obviously perplexed by the zone az threw at them, and we never figured it out. it took josh, pargo and micah out of the game because we were settling for 3s. this was the game we really needed to get it in the key to open things up (the easiest way to break a zone), or clear out and let pargo attack the hoop. instead everyone stood around and jacked up shots.

BSUBronco74
12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
by Jordan Hill.

Josh seemed intimidated, or lost, or both.

Wish he didn't have the habit of bringing the ball down to waist level when trying to make a move in the painted area or when going to the hoop. That turns a 6'11'' guy into a 5'9" guy. On the other hand, Jordan Hill never brought the ball down lower than his own shoulders, and never head-faked, ball-faked, crouched or gathered himself to jump. He just went straight the he11 on up to the rim. Which is what a guy of that size and athleticism should do. That's strong play. He knew Heytfelt couldn't or wouldn't challenge him. Not really Josh's fault, he and the coaches probably knew he would have fouled out had he tried to play strong defense on Hill. Zags definitely could have used Sacre in this one.

I think Arizona must have watched a lot of GU game tape. They sure knew where to apply the pressure, and on whom. The strategy of letting Pargo penetrate and then doubling him underneath worked to perfection.

Daye was awesome though, and the Zags shouldn't be ashamed of this one. It was a learning opportunity, and am pretty sure they will make the best of it. Get that first loss (to an excellent squad, at least today) out of the way and move on. They'll be fine.

JPtheBeasta
12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I would like to see our bigs keep the ball up higher so the smaller help defender on the double-teams has a harder time stripping the ball.
Anticipating the double-team better would also have served us well tonight.

We looked really perplexed by the press at times- which seemed weird to me, since we handled Tenn pretty well.

I was at the game and that 8-0 run by UofA in the second half (all disgusting, demoralizing, dunks) could have been a big momentum swing, but our guys fought through it and almost pulled this one out. I was impressed with our resolve. We could have folded up pretty easily after that.

As an aside, what's the rule on a goal-tend when someone has tipped the ball? There was a play (I was far away and couldn't tell exactly) where it looked like Daye tipped the ball on a shot by Hill as it was coming out of his hand, then Josh swatted it. It was called a goal-tend. It, obviously, is a moot point if Daye didn't tip it. It is just a nuance that my friends and I talked about after it happened- just curious about anyone else's take...

JPtheBeasta
12-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Wish he didn't have the habit of bringing the ball down to waist level when trying to make a move in the painted area or when going to the hoop. That turns a 6'11'' guy into a 5'9" guy.

Sorry, your post got up before mine...

Zag79
12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
josh only taking 6 shots all game proves my point we didnt feed the paint enough to beat the zone az used. if josh took 20 shots and we lost, i would rethink that. but the pgs rarely gave it to daye or josh when they flashed the lane, and when they did we scored or got to the line. we just needed to do it all day and stop allowing the zone to make us shoot 3s.

zagporvida
12-14-2008, 06:02 PM
maybe the energy expended from the WSU really took its toll plus it was dead weak and finals next week. Let's hope we step up the energy for the rest of the season.

BSUBronco74
12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Sorry, your post got up before mine...

So you and I saw the same thing, good on ya. I wasn't just imagining it then. Keeping the ball up high is something Josh might want to work on.

BC