PDA

View Full Version : What Should UConn Coach Learn From Tonight?

75Zag
12-14-2008, 04:11 PM
If you were the UConn coach watching tonight's game, what would you learn about how to beat GU?

Obviously GU is intimidated by the press. What else?

JAGzag
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
If you were the UConn coach watching tonight's game, what would you learn about how to beat GU?

Obviously GU is intimidated by the press. What else?

Take a breath ...

VinnyZag
12-14-2008, 04:15 PM
That GU struggles to defend athletic big guys like Hill. UConn has some guys like that.
Against Tennessee and WSU, we saw GU beat two styles of play that have given the Zags fits over the years: The Vols' agressive, slap-happy pressing style and WSU's slow-down, bunch-the-key, take-the-air-outta-the-ball style. This was the third test: Teams with supremely athletic big guys. GU failed.

HOOTER
12-14-2008, 04:25 PM
UConn will learn that if Gonzaga shows up unprepared and unmotivated they will lose. Unfortunately for UConn this may not happen again anytime soon.

btzag
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I disagree on the press comment. Tenn had a swarming press and we handled it just fine. Arizona just executed it well and GU did not respond to it well. No reason to think that is an ongoing problem for this team. Also Hill did have a great game but I think overall the Zags played mediocre and still had a great shot at winning.

TacomaZAG
12-14-2008, 04:31 PM
why would we show up unmotivated and unprepared??? There is no excuse for lack of motivation and lack of preparation. They have athletic bigs, just like we do and just like a lot of other programs. They have good players on the wings and in the back court, just like we do and just like a lot of other programs do.

Maybe we are out of gas, maybe we are sick, maybe it's finals...........

If we have dreams of a FF, we have to bring it every possession, every minute, every night. We won't win them all, but it shouldn't be from lack of motivation and, especially, lack of preparation.

Go ZAGS

madness
12-14-2008, 04:36 PM
The zealous trap press and half court trap zone works very well when the opponents (Zags) do not attack it.

Few's best opportunity to teach from this will be to watch film and show how passing over the top of the trap is fine, but cutting/curling off the trap works much better. Few never coached this up and I give credit to AZ's tenacity and coaching.

When Goodson penetrated quickly against the trap (albeit sometimes out of control) he created open shots. Pargo/Gray/Bouldin never really did this and I would assume that was coach's Few's teaching. Time to starting coaching again Mark.

johnwzag
12-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Take a look a Zona's shooting %'s this year. I thought it was so high because they played weeker teams. 2s and 3s are sinking for them. They are a deadly shooting team. I think we defended fairly well. Combine WSU like play with high % shots and you have a deadly team. Something happened to us with their D. We should have made them pay for putting 2 or 3 guys on a man. We never made them pay for it once so they kept it up.

bartruff1
12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
And play 40 min of hard defense ....that should do it in most games... the Zags are fine, Arizona just played a very good game....

BSUBronco74
12-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I would look at this GU/UA game tape and see that there clearly is a way to beat the Zags, and Pennell just wrote the book on it.

However, if I were as smart as Coach Calhoun is, I would also consider the fact that during this game, Mark Few learned just as much about his team as anyone did, and will make the necessary adjustments to prevent a similar result in the BIS. Coach Few tried some unexpected things tonight, maybe to put certain young players into positions of responsibility and see how they responded in extremis, and to give them some big game experience while it's all pre-conference and pre-tourney and before it all gets down to nut-cuttin' time.

Whoever the coach is at Texas Southern, I can guarantee he is poring over this one tonight. TSU might seem like pushovers, but judging by their schedule so far, I don't think they are going to be overly intimidated just by coming to Spoke-a-loo, especially after watching this one.

I lived in Houston for 5 years, and spent a lot of time playing ball at Cossaboom YMCA in south Houston. That's where the baddest hoops were being played at that time. Lucas and Drexler would swing by now and again. Olajuwon came to watch, never played. Most of the kids running the court there were from UH/Rice/TSU and they all had game. My goal then (in my late 30's) was to try to keep up with em and get a workout.

My point is, even though the Zags will be heavily favored, don't think that the Texas Southern game is going to be easy.

BC

rawkmandale
12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Go Broncos against TCU!

BSUBronco74
12-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Rawk- thanks for your support of the BSU Broncos! Poinsettia Bowl might be a real thriller. It's gonna draw a lot of viewers. TCU is tough, but I'm picking the Donks in this one.

Now, back to your regular Zag programming.

7ICoug
12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
I think you give your guys a bum rap on this game. Arizona did the exact same thing to us twice last year. If they shoot lights out and if they really play good defense then they can beat people.

Your guys looked to me to be a bit tired, which is to be expected after all the travel. It just caught up with them.

Arizona has there share of "pro's" always has and probably always will have and on this night they were just a shade better.

Clearly the trap caused a lot of trouble as did the zone. A couple of better plays and you would have prevailed. That's pretty much a good deal.

johnwzag
12-15-2008, 11:02 AM
I think you give your guys a bum rap on this game. Arizona did the exact same thing to us twice last year. If they shoot lights out and if they really play good defense then they can beat people.

Your guys looked to me to be a bit tired, which is to be expected after all the travel. It just caught up with them.

Arizona has there share of "pro's" always has and probably always will have and on this night they were just a shade better.

Clearly the trap caused a lot of trouble as did the zone. A couple of better plays and you would have prevailed. That's pretty much a good deal.

Wow, I am agreeing with a Cougar. :)

MedZag
12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
why would we show up unmotivated and unprepared??? There is no excuse for lack of motivation and lack of preparation. They have athletic bigs, just like we do and just like a lot of other programs. They have good players on the wings and in the back court, just like we do and just like a lot of other programs do.

Maybe we are out of gas, maybe we are sick, maybe it's finals...........

If we have dreams of a FF, we have to bring it every possession, every minute, every night. We won't win them all, but it shouldn't be from lack of motivation and, especially, lack of preparation.

Go ZAGS

Never seen a FF team with as masochistic of an OOC schedule as ours though. If I had to travel 14,000 miles in a month I'd be exhausted, and I wouldn't have to be playing basketball or trying to keep up with schoolwork.

The Zags have been essentially playing a "NBA type" schedule with the road games and the long travel periods. There's a reason there's a proverbial "rookie wall" in the NBA, and I think the guys just hit something similar.

It's your body's way of rebelling, regardless of how "motivated" you are. A lot of it is hormonal and manifests subconsciously. I'll save the gory details :)

johnwzag
12-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Wow, I am agreeing with a Cougar. :)