PDA

View Full Version : Who takes the last shot?

Larrylegend
03-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Gonzaga has the ball, down by one with 12 seconds left. Who do you want with the ball?

Downs: too big for guards, too quick for forwards. Great shooter and can create his own shot.

tyra
03-15-2007, 08:13 AM
In your hypothetical "last shot" scenario, did we have any timeouts left such that Few has designed it? Or were we out of timeouts and it was a default circumstance?

mdZag23
03-15-2007, 08:14 AM
the open guy!

It drives me crazy to see teams force stuff that isn't there and then take a horrible shot because we feel that so and so needs to take it.

Personally, I have no problem with Raivio, Downs, Pendo, Pargo, or Bouldin taking that shot at that critical of a juncture.

JLGutrocks
03-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Pendo, I said it preseason and I'll say it again. He's our man. I'll live and die with the ball in his hands in crunch time.

gamagin
03-15-2007, 08:17 AM
DR at the line as IU attempts to beat the clock and catch up. and loses.

Lawdog9902
03-15-2007, 08:26 AM
No question in my mind. Its Raivio. He's our leader and he should have the ball.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-15-2007, 08:47 AM
No question in my mind. Its Raivio. He's our leader and he should have the ball.

Yes--D-Rav should have the ball. Downs and Pendo can pick and pop, then D-Rav can shoot if the screen gets him open, or pass to the screener if he's not. Or drive and get fouled.

-------

wazZag
03-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Derek, if he can get open. If not, Pendo.

sonuvazag
03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
the open guy!

It drives me crazy to see teams force stuff that isn't there and then take a horrible shot because we feel that so and so needs to take it.

Personally, I have no problem with Raivio, Downs, Pendo, Pargo, or Bouldin taking that shot at that critical of a juncture.

So, I'm the coach in the huddle, my team is looking at me to draw up a play to get someone open, and that's what you want me to say? I have a hard to believing that. Even a pick and roll has the purpose of getting the ball handler open as the first option, roll as the second. The coach should decide who holds the ball and who picks and who floats the baseline as a third look, and so on.

I understand not forcing shots. Give me your first option, then.

mdZag23
03-15-2007, 09:29 AM
My point being is that very seldom does a team actually get exactly what they drew up in the huddle. If it was that simple, Kuso would be dunking every in bounds play and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Most of the time someone takes forced shots that get blocked or the shot clock is about to run out....

Obviously plays have to be drawn up with the intent to get an OPEN shot. My point was, I am comfortable with all those guys taking it.

The better question, I think, is who do you want to have the ball with 12 seconds left and my answer to that is Jeremy Pargo.

Here's why:

He gets to the basket better than anyone we have.
He is stronger and can finish better than anyone we have and that makes a huge difference when referees are reluctant to blow whistles down the stretch.
He is very capable of finding wide open shooters like DRav, Bouldin, Downs and finally....
I love his moxie, he wants the ball in those situations.

I still contend, if he's in that UCLA game the last 3 minutes we win the game because of his ability to break the press and get the ball up court.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2007, 09:36 AM
My point being is that very seldom does a team actually get exactly what they drew up in the huddle. If it was that simple, Kuso would be dunking every in bounds play and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Most of the time someone takes forced shots that get blocked or the shot clock is about to run out....

Obviously plays have to be drawn up with the intent to get an OPEN shot. My point was, I am comfortable with all those guys taking it.

The better question, I think, is who do you want to have the ball with 12 seconds left and my answer to that is Jeremy Pargo.

Here's why:

He gets to the basket better than anyone we have.
He is stronger and can finish better than anyone we have and that makes a huge difference when referees are reluctant to blow whistles down the stretch.
He is very capable of finding wide open shooters like DRav, Bouldin, Downs and finally....
I love his moxie, he wants the ball in those situations.

I still contend, if he's in that UCLA game the last 3 minutes we win the game because of his ability to break the press and get the ball up court.

I put it in Derek's hands. Pargo, for all of his positives, has been dreadful in the last 15 seconds. He doesn't make his move until there's six seconds remaining (or less), and the defense keys off his spin move.

BobZag
03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Prego.

Why?

"It's all in there."

:p

LA Zag
03-15-2007, 09:59 AM
This will definitely be a Sr situation (not to be confused with a senior moment) so it's gotta be Raivio.

CDC84
03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Pargo going towards the hoop, or Raivio from long range. Those are the two guys that I would want shooting. Of course it would nice if Jeremy could start up the offense with about 12-15 seconds to go instead of waiting until there are 6 seconds left.........

sonuvazag
03-15-2007, 10:06 AM
I like Pargo, too, if he gets started sooner. Of course if we're running the picket fence to Derek, we don't want to get caught watching the paint dry.

ZagDaddy
03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Nice "Hoosiers" reference Sonuvazag!

ZaginLaw
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd just like to get off an open shot. Unlike the TO's committed down the stretch this year against Nevada (3 to's in a row) and Memphis (pargo dribbling into a double team with time expiring).

Ravio, then Pendo.

LA Zag
03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I just hope it doesn't come down to the last shot this early in the tournament. I hope yesterday's shootaround is a sign of a looser team (our Zags of course) that will make some early baskets and stay on top through the game. If Indiana stays tight per somebody's perceived observation, I hope they struggle to find their game until it's too late.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but I am hoping.

VanZagar
03-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Sean Mallon, wide open underneath, on an assist from Pargo on the drive.

McZag
03-15-2007, 03:19 PM
DR of course

TuckC
03-15-2007, 03:42 PM
We all know what's going to happen. Same as every time. Either few decides to give it to Raivio because of seniority, or he lets Pargo try and juke with 5 seconds left.