PDA

View Full Version : Sacre Injured

Scotto
12-13-2008, 01:17 PM
I heard he broke his ankle at practice yesterday. Do we have confirmation of this?

kclubfounder
12-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Say it ain't so Scotto! Say it ain't so.

ZagMan in Philly
12-13-2008, 01:26 PM
OH NO! Please No!

RenoZag
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
I heard he broke his ankle at practice yesterday. Do we have confirmation of this?

Just you so far. . .

BobZag
12-13-2008, 01:49 PM
It's true. That's the bad news.

The good news is it's a very minor type fracture that is only a 2 to 4 week deal before he's back.

And yes, if worse comes to worst, he can medical redshirt. He's only played in five games. NCAA rules allow up to 30% of all games.

But he'll be back in less than a month.

johnwzag
12-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sucks.

IowaZag
12-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the update, Bob.

Who gets Rob's playing time? More minutes for Will, or do we use Ira, Austin, and three guards when Josh is on the bench

BobZag
12-13-2008, 01:56 PM
It certainly does suck, but he could be back as early as Utah, and primed for the WCC.

GoZags
12-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Heal quickly, big guy.

BobZag
12-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the update, Bob.

Who gets Rob's playing time? More minutes for Will, or do we use Ira, Austin, and three guards when Josh is on the bench

Likely more Ira!, with more Austin. A lot like in the Wazzu game.

Kiddwell
12-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Holy schnikeys. Unbelievable.

:[

TheZagPhish
12-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I have to say that Rob is the steadiest guy on his feet. He's like a ten ton column out there, guys literally roll off of him.
I forget what game it was, but he was fouled by someone literally falling onto his back as he was taking it up. Sacre didn't budge. It was amazing to see, but made even more so by the fact that Sacre was taking a step to his left at the same time. Unreal.

Thank heaven he's our superfast healer; we need him.

Best to Rob.

madness
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
If anything, Will will be needed for "Hack-a-Thabeet"...hopefully he's doing the hip sled to get ready and maybe try and draw some charges.

Bad news for Uconn and tomorrow's game for sure.

CDC84
12-13-2008, 02:21 PM
This injury is going to really hurt GU's chances of beating UConn. Rob is the only guy on the team who has the bulk, height and enough fouls to bang around with the Husky big men. The Zags simply wouldn't have won the UConn game last year if it weren't for the minutes that Rob gave them. If Heytvelt gets into foul trouble of any kind, GU might be toast, even with all of the GU fans in the stands.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-13-2008, 02:25 PM
I think this poses a problem for the UConn game. There's no way Brown or Daye can matchup with Thabeet. Hasheem has 60 pounds on Austin and and 11 inches on Ira. I expect Foster will see some important (although not big minutes) minutes in the BIS. More importantly, Josh has to stay out of foul trouble.

EDIT: Wow, looks like we're on the same page with this analysis.

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2008, 02:29 PM
...There's no way Brown or Daye can matchup with Thabeet. Hasheem has 60 pounds on Austin and and 11 inches on Ira.....

Disagree. We handled the big lug Baynes no problem. Nice to have Sacre, but we'll be just fine.

DixieZag
12-13-2008, 02:45 PM
There has been a lot of optimism on this board, and most of it justified, but I was just about to post on the Kool Aid thread that it is a long season, and many many things can happen. OK, Rob will not be available for the next month (likely, lets be conservative) and yes, that hurts us against UCONN, BUT, 2 things; (1) We are good enough that we don't have to be "perfect" against UCONN to win, I think we have been giving them a little too much credit, remember, they have to travel all the way over the country and play in front of 20,000 Zags and (2) Losing a game here and there is not the end of the world, nor the end of the fight for a number one seed. EVERY team has setbacks, every team has injuries, it could have been much worse, what if Josh had reinjured his ankle? Lets all take a deep breath, we have a deep team that can play a variety of ways, 2 losses on our schedule and we still have a No. 1 seed, and maybe big Will can come out and hack around and clog up the middle a bit. Best to Rob, DON'T RUSH, we NEED him in March, it would have been NICE to have him in Seattle. Go Zags.

CDC84
12-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Some optimism:

1) The UConn game is in Seattle
2) The Zags run a highly effective zone that's better than the one they ran last season. The zone helped keep Heytvelt and Daye in the Tennessee game despite their foul difficulties.
3) UConn is a not a terrific 3 point shooting team beyond AJ Price.

MickMick
12-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Rob is a big bruiser. We will miss him.

Last year the Zags practically flew from Alaska to Boston (48 hour lag actually + St. Joes OT) and beat UConn without Josh Heytvelt or Steven Gray.

I'm calling a blowout. I worry more about Arizona, Tennessee and Utah (away games).

Honestly.

In my mind, UConn is media/Big East hype. I gotta see more from them to be concerned.

gamagin
12-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Disagree. We handled the big lug Baynes no problem. Nice to have Sacre, but we'll be just fine.

thank goodness for our depth.

This is but a test for the next guy to get up to speed. I think Ira will do the banging. And he's going to have to turn into the Tazmanian Devil, because he can't grow any taller.

Will has to step up, or be ready, too, to cast a shadow at least for several minutes per game. Go for it. Keep your arms up and make a nuisance of ourself, big guy.

And JH will have to give up his hopes of camping out atop the key, but so what ? We got plenty of warriors waiting to restake that claim.

JH's big and strong and fully capable. Our very best, for that matter, nearest the hoop. Austin and Micah, too, can raise havoc. So can Matt around the edges.

So let's just hope injuries don't become a trend. They are the uncertainty we deal with all year long. You can't practice staying healthy. It either happens or it doesn't.

Get well big Rob. We can't wait to see you back in action.

Go Zags !

BZ: is this related to his summer of rehab project ? i.e., same foot ?

madness
12-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow, I'm extremely worried about UConn (exact opposite from above post)...especially with Stanley Robinson coming back. They will be deeper and adding a very athletic wing to the mix.

With that said, Gonzaga may learn more from this game than any other this year. It's already getting hyped by CBS heavily and learning to deal with adversity early in the season is a blessing.

Either way, I seriously doubt it will be a blowout either way.

Nevtelen
12-13-2008, 03:30 PM
That's too bad for Sacre and for the team. I hope he heals as well (and at least apparently completely) this time as he did from the last injury. The worst thing is, being a leg injury, it'll affect his conditioning (which must have only started to come back after recovering from surgery) and he'll loose lots of practice time, which hurts.

I never say never, but this will really hurt us vs UConn. Josh and Will are going to have to step up HUGE in that game. I feel that the team can handle UConn at the guard spots, but I'm not so confident about in the paint. Sacre would have been a HUGE help. :(

MississppiZag
12-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Is there a chance we see Poling? I wanted him to stay red-shirted, but if Sacre can not make it back, might as well as put Andy in. I prefer seeing Andy instead of Foster. That's just me, though. Hopefully Sacre comes back just fine, and Andy is able to sustain his red-shirt.

Nevtelen
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Is there a chance we see Poling? I wanted him to stay red-shirted, but if Sacre can not make it back, might as well as put Andy in. I prefer seeing Andy instead of Foster. That's just me, though. Hopefully Sacre comes back just fine, and Andy is able to sustain his red-shirt.

I think one game is not worth burning his redshirt over, IMO. Even if the team loses, it's not the end of the world. I'd rather loose the game than the redshirt. Also, the main reason he's redshirting is because he's not strong enough. He wouldn't be that much help in the paint vs UConn anyway.

lawzag
12-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Poor Rob - he had such hopes for an excellent season this year...to prepare him for the big job of taking over Josh's role next year :(

Heal quickly & feel better soon big guy!

BobZag
12-13-2008, 04:12 PM
The silver lining is, as was mentioned above, Rob is a very fast healer.

Reborn
12-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Bad News :(
Good News :)

When I saw the thread posted I got a sick feeling in my stomach, but it really could have been a whole lot worse. I'm glad it's not as bad as I first thought it might be. I am glad he'll be back. He seems to heal quickly.

Will we miss Sacre? Heck yes. We're just getting used to him in there, and he's been playing pretty good.

Will we be ok? Yes. We have great depth on this team. Rob has given us good minutes, but honestly an 8 man rotation will be fine, and especially against Arizona. And yes, we do have Will. Don't forget that. Will F. could play a significant role against UCONN. I think Will can give us some minutes as he did in the Old Spice Tournament. And Ira will play more. Ira has done a great job so far this year and I look forward to more minutes for Ira.

kylasdad
12-13-2008, 04:49 PM
I really like Sacre and am bummed he is hurt and e may have some matchup problems outside of josh against uconn. However, Uconn has to matchup with the zags too. For every negative there can be a positive, I am going to enjoy watching the Uconn bigs try and keep up with Josh, Ira!, and Austin when they are running the floor.

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Bummer.

johnwzag
12-13-2008, 06:53 PM
We can keep the inside pass from happening often. We did it against Baynes.

This sucks, but hopefully he will get a lot of wcc play in and be ready to dance. Get well Rob, we love you.

DixieZag
12-13-2008, 08:04 PM
I am sorry that I might be spewing some frustration in the wrong place, but we do not need Rob Sacre to beat UCONN. They are good, but they are not North Carolina good. They had to travel to Buffalo and Buffalo had a possession to tie or win. They have beaten Miami and have a good victory at Wisconsin. But their record and their lineup does not compare to ours. If we were on the east coast and they were in the interior West, we would be ranked #2 and they would be in the top 10. We may have a tougher game against Arizona, who are very very ready for us. We will DEFINITELY have a tougher game in Knoxville. But we are pretty good, and we will be playing a home game, essentially, a rare privilege this year. I would rather Rob be in the lineup, but come on people, we are embarrasingly deep. If we play well, we will win, if we don't, we won't. We are falling right into the east coast bias that permeates college basketball. We are better than them. We just have to play that way.

deathchina
12-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Looks like it's going to be davidson versus purdue here in Saint Louis. Any ideas how I can see the GU game?

gueastcoast
12-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Agree with some of the points made here about UConn being overrated. Watched the Buffalo game out here and have seen more of the highlights (lowlights) given where I live...this team is not much better than the team we handled in the Garden last year (I was there) while I think we are much better, both individually and gelled as a team...not to mention BIS quasi-home bennies. Stay strong. All that said I hope big Rob gets well soon and in time to help with our later season push.

roxdoc
12-13-2008, 09:13 PM
We have a good chance to beat UConn, but Rob was like an insurance policy. All this talk about how deep we are........we are not deep AT ALL at the low post.

Get well soon Rob, you have a lot of fans.

CDC84
12-13-2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8902#more

Sacre is in a boot.

ZagNut08
12-14-2008, 08:28 AM
that sucks, he did a great job when he got minutes...solid defense and rebounding

hopefully he heals quickly, I dont think I would redshirt him even if it takes a little bit longer. this is the best chance we have for a deep run, and I want to have all our weapons available

BobZag
12-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Looks like it's going to be davidson versus purdue here in Saint Louis. Any ideas how I can see the GU game?

Your favorite local sports bar?

Nevtelen
12-14-2008, 09:30 AM

If you have satellite, maybe one of the sports alternate channels will carry the game? I seem to remember this being the case last year for at least 1 CBS game I wanted to watch that wasn't in my area (though I could remember wrong).

Oregon Zag
12-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Get well, Big Rob! I was just commenting yesterday that we'll do fine if we can avoid injuries. Yikes! Did I jinx us?

deathchina
12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Your favorite local sports bar?

I'll give some places a call and see if they have cbs coverage for different regions...

Ezag
12-14-2008, 12:27 PM
He May be a fast healer, but he seems to get hurt alot

Krobbins34
12-14-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm calling a blowout. I worry more about Arizona, Tennessee and Utah (away games).

Honestly.

In my mind, UConn is media/Big East hype. I gotta see more from them to be concerned.

I Agree, Im more woried about the away gaems Arizona and Tennessee. I don't Agree about it being a blowout, but I have not seen anything much impressive about UCONN this year!

gamagin
12-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Few on pregame radio program today:

"sacre came down awkwardly, on the same spot, on the same foot as before. we won't know much for a week or two. He may be out for a long time.

We'll see. Very unfortunate. He was coming on. we had little drop off (in quality performance w/Josh out and Rob in)."