PDA

View Full Version : "We have a possibility of going undefeated"

ZagMan in Philly
12-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I am glad to see the team sets high expectations for this year...and why not, we are darn GOOD!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=3766000&section=ncb

HOOTER
12-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I like the optimism, but I don't like them even considering going undefeated, although the possibility is undeniable from a fans perspective. There's some amazing competition remaining on their schedule (UConn, Tennessee and Memphis to name a few) and a loss (or two) is not out of the question, nor would it be the end of the world. Just calm down boys and take it one game at a time, please.

GoZAGsMang
12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I would prefer that we focus on one game at a time.

Just forget undefeated and lets beat Arizona.

Then we can focus on the next game.

Go ZAGs Mang

T-bonedazag
12-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I understand we don't want them thinking ahead....but I want my players thinking that they will win going into every game

FlyZag
12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Weird, I thought every team had a chance to go undefeated. :D

zagzilla
12-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Not smart Bouldin. Even if they are thinking it (which I hope they are), you don't say it to a reporter. Just bulletin board material for you opponents.
Matt's an upper classman. Should know better.
ZZ

BobZag
12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
In the words of Keith Jackson: "Whooooaaaa Nellie!"

4AmericasTeam
12-12-2008, 07:02 PM
At least the players believe it; that's a good thing.

HOOTER
12-12-2008, 07:44 PM
At least the players believe it; that's a good thing.

I hope they all believe it, I'd just rather they don't say it in public.

4AmericasTeam
12-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I hope they all believe it, I'd just rather they don't say it in public.

That's for sure

billyberu
12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Pump your brakes, fellas. It's a long season and even if you go through the OOC schedule unscathed you can always get bit in the arse by Portland...or somebody.

MickMick
12-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Stomp on em Josh.

Every time they start that dumb chant.

I hope it throws more coal on the fire.

Get angry Josh!

Stomp on em.

Ziggy
12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Praise the Lord and Knock on Wood.

In my book it's bad luck to vocalize these kinds of things until the eggs have hatched.

Can we move on to a different subject?;)

CDC84
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
If North Carolina finishes the regular season undefeated, I will pick against them to win the national title. No fan on the face of the planet wants to see their team going undefeated in the regular season. An unblemished record creates too many distractions and too much pressure.

I would like to see Gonzaga finish out this month undefeated, and then drop one at Tennessee with style points. I think that's a realistic "fan" goal. The players just need to take one step at a time.

As a side note...what's important about Gonzaga's defense is not that they are holding teams to under 60 PPG, although that's nice, but that they are only allowing them to shoot 34% from the field and 28% from 3 point land.

GonzagaDynasty
12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Stomp on em Josh.

Every time they start that dumb chant.

I hope it throws more coal on the fire.

Get angry Josh!

Stomp on em.

Ohh yes, I was at the WSU game, and when the fans started chanting that dumb chant, I smiled and had a feeling Josh was going to have a HUGE second half... I think I was right. I loved it.

Ezag
12-13-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't really care if we go undefeated or not, I just don't want to drop out of the NCAA tourney early or at the hands of one guy

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Not predicting a loss between now and March, but if we do lose one or two, that will not necessarily be a bad thing in the world of championship college basketball.

MississppiZag
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
CDC, how can you possibly want Gonzaga to "drop one" to Tennessee. That game is crucial towards Gonzaga's goal in getting a #1 seed out West. Makes no sense to me.:confused:

cggonzaga
12-13-2008, 06:32 PM
I love it and am glad they are thinking about it! Not to mention I believe they can do it. I completely understand what you're saying CDC and don't entirely disagree but if we could go undefeated and win the National Championship, then why not! The last few times this has happened (Stanford, St. Joes and Memphis) I don't think those teams were made like us or UNC. Both of these teams are so deep one can't help but think both could go undefeated.

HOOTER
12-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Both of these teams are so deep one can't help but think both could go undefeated.

They can't both go undefeated. ;)

MickMick
12-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Dream matchup....and I mean fantasyland but:

Undefeated UNC vs undefeated Zags in the Championship final.

How much media hype would that get?

On another note, just being one of the last 3 or 4 undefeated teams would be lofty status.

Nevtelen
12-14-2008, 12:24 AM
I kind of agree with CDC. I wouldn't want this team to go into the tourney undefeated - it's just too much pressure, for one. Just ask the Patriots. Also, losses create renewed effort and necessary change. Perhaps it'll take a loss before this team rebounds better, or relies less consistently on the outside shot, or for individual players to step up their game, whatever weakness we want to talk about (and, as seriously good as this team is, there are some). Sometimes needed changes only truly happen after the sting of a loss. I'd rather this team learn that in the regular season rather than in the NCAA, where a single loss is fatal. The 'best' possible loss this team can have is vs Tenn, who they've already beaten.

bartruff1
12-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Dream matchup....and I mean fantasyland but:

Undefeated UNC vs undefeated Zags in the Championship final.

How much media hype would that get?

On another note, just being one of the last 3 or 4 undefeated teams would be lofty status. But I don't know if I could watch !!! I am certainly no expert and I don't expect them to go undefeated but this time I thiink the "experts" just might be right and they have a good chance to make the Final Four. The only teams I have seen out there that might be better are NC, Oka, and Conn. It will take some luck but, it could happen...:agreed:

ZagManFan
12-14-2008, 08:23 AM
I still satnd by my predictions earlier this year with one slight change. We will not lose in the BIS nor at Tennessee as I first predicted (I do have the right to change my mind).

30-1 going to the dance now.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=14467

ASUzagFan
12-14-2008, 08:38 AM
It's good to know the players have confidence, but it's definitely not good to be talking about an undefeated season, especially when not even 1/4 of the season has passed. It's another thing to start talking about it early February, but right now the team should be focused on getting better, and taking games one at a time.

75Zag
12-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Good to see that Josh and the team have confidence, because I do believe that at elite levels of competition you can get a boost from being confident.

On the other hand, quotes like Josh gave can be turned into locker room posters to motivate every opponent from here until March, and I hate to give opposing coaches an easy target.

One game at a time sounds right to me. Win today and the BIS becomes a huge fun experience for everyone. Blow it tonight and the negative vibes will begin to flow. Keeping it positive, please!

Go Bulldogs.

GoZAGsMang
12-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Great thread I blame this on you ZagMan

MDABE80
12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Absolutely idiotic concept when nobody's done it since 1976. I hope nobody EVER starts thinking like this again!. It's arrogant and leads to nothing.! period!!!

RenoZag
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
So it's not going to happen. End of discussion.