PDA

View Full Version : GU/Pitt Tied for #3 ESPN Power Rankings

tobizag
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?season=2009&week=5

still ain't buyin pitt being ranked that high in any poll, especially one claiming to measure power. the individual voters are worth a look on this poll. vitale puts us behind oklahoma, while we get serious love from gottlieb.

Nevtelen
12-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Pretty good rankings and very interesting individual ballots. I noticed Gottlieb also has St Mary's at 16, which is interesting. I haven't seen Pitt play yet this season, so I'll reserve judgement, but I do expect them to be pretty legit.

Rubbadub
12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Pittsburgh:

The Panthers seem determined to show the America East who's boss. They destroyed Vermont last week, and defending AE champ Maryland-Baltimore County is next.

:lmao:

Pitt doesn't deserve to be top 5. They have one of the weakest pre-conference schedules of any major college bball teams. Their only semi-decent wins were home games against WSU and Texas Tech. The only way they'll deserve their current ranking or anywhere near it is if they win at Georgetown on 1/03.

NotoriousZ
12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks to Dickie V once again, giving us a 5 ranking. If he could have given us a 4 (we were supposedly in his preseason final 4) we would sit alone at 3. Rubbadub is absolutely correct about Pitt's weak schedule.

This sucks even more because when we hit the WCC schedule, we're going to get our ranking slammed through no fault of our own. Hopefully, Pitt will suffer many losses in the Big East if they're as soft as I think they are.

Good thing rankings don't translate into seeds!

johnwzag
12-12-2008, 01:45 PM
:lmao:

Pitt doesn't deserve to be top 5. They have one of the weakest pre-conference schedules of any major college bball teams. Their only semi-decent wins were home games against WSU and Texas Tech. The only way they'll deserve their current ranking or anywhere near it is if they win at Georgetown on 1/03.

Agreed!

johnwzag
12-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks to Dickie V once again, giving us a 5 ranking. If he could have given us a 4 (we were supposedly in his preseason final 4) we would sit alone at 3. Rubbadub is absolutely correct about Pitt's weak schedule.

This sucks even more because when we hit the WCC schedule, we're going to get our ranking slammed through no fault of our own. Hopefully, Pitt will suffer many losses in the Big East if they're as soft as I think they are.

Good thing rankings don't translate into seeds!

Why would our ranking go down if we were whooping WCC teams? Our sos is #1.

MississppiZag
12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Our SOS is #1 for the teams we have played. Once we hit conference play it will most likely fall below the top 50 like it seems to always do. Trust me it won't be #1 past January. Our RPI on the other hand will be top 10 if we continue to win and play efficient as we have been in the early part of the season. I got to say it nice seeing that #1 next to the SOS and RPI even though it may not last.

rennis
12-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Why would our ranking go down if we were whooping WCC teams? Our sos is #1.

agreed. rpi will drop but rankings will stabilize or rise if we win in wcc

tobizag
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
so here's a question that just passed through my head regarding rankings, power conferences, scheduling, etc.

pitt is still ranked this high despite playing a bunch of cupcakes to open the season, and this ranking is justified by voters because of their potential and the level of talent they have to play in conference at the end of the year. this talent will test them, bring out their best, and make them one of the best teams come tourney time. essentially, while the polls are supposed to be a week to week guage of the best teams in the country at the given moment, it seems as though for the big conference schools a lot of what is going on is attempted prophecy.

so why don't the mid-major conferences do something entirely different with their scheduling in order to play the system the same way the bcs schools do? what i'm talking about is swapping conference play and non-conference play in the calendar year. so gonzaga would open the season with games against cupcakes like lmu, pepperdine, san fran, etc. we'd also play a few okay teams like portland and santa clara, and a few bubble teams like san diego and st mary's. then, we could schedule our tough, grinding, tourney caliber opponents for the second half of the season. not only could we use the polling system to our advantage this way, but we might also be better prepared come tourney time. what do you think?

should mid-major conferences consider organizing their schedules opposite of bcs schools? would it even make sense? if it sounds intriguing to you, how would the conference championship work? play it out in december and early january? or wait until the very end of the entire season? if the schedule were flipped, i'd be in favor of the conference tourney taking place in the middle of the season. this way, one team can lock up a tourney berth while the others try to justify their way in during the ooc.

Akzag
12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
so why don't the mid-major conferences do something entirely different with their scheduling in order to play the system the same way the bcs schools do? what i'm talking about is swapping conference play and non-conference play in the calendar year. so gonzaga would open the season with games against cupcakes like lmu, pepperdine, san fran, etc. we'd also play a few okay teams like portland and santa clara, and a few bubble teams like san diego and st mary's. then, we could schedule our tough, grinding, tourney caliber opponents for the second half of the season. not only could we use the polling system to our advantage this way, but we might also be better prepared come tourney time. what do you think?

I've wondered this too ... if perhaps there is a rule or regulation that would prevent spreading out the schedule. I think, what it would come down to is that we would not be able to get those "big name" opponents later in the season - during their conference play. Unless you are going to completely reschedule all of the conferences' schedules, and the pre-season tournys, and tv contracts ... well, it just ain't gonna happen. And that would then defeat the purpose of back-loading the schedule anyway.

For the most part, GU's rise has coincided not only with an increase in recruited talent, but also with the acceptance that ... okay, that is what the powers that be want, we'll do that. i.e. big out of conference games, road and neutral games early on. The rpi and sos do matter to the "committee", and the Zag staff have approached and upgraded the scheduling accordingly.

BobZag
12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Gottleib is a big admirer of SMC's Patty Mills, plus SMC is just plain good. With San Diego losing player after player, I want SMC to be as good as Gottleib thinks.

Nevtelen
12-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Gottleib is a big admirer of SMC's Patty Mills, plus SMC is just plain good. With San Diego losing player after player, I want SMC to be as good as Gottleib thinks.

Agreed. Mills has been forcing things a bit in some of their games - particularly in the loss to UTEP - but hopefully he's willing to let the game come to him more as the season wears on. He has a great supporting cast around him; it's not like he needs to do it all alone.

scott_fivefour
12-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Gottleib loves patty mills. Not one other voter has them ranked.

Zaghuatanejo
12-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Gottleib loves patty mills. Not one other voter has them ranked.

Mills is looking good so far today. It is against SD St. but still.

Nevtelen
12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Mills is looking good so far today. It is against SD St. but still.

Mills forced it too much. Why take a 25 ft 3 pointer when you've been missing them toeing the line all night? His shot selection was not great and he has really stopped being a PG in a lot of ways and turned into a combo guard (some PG plays, but more scoring). SMC won, though, and he had some great plays to go along with the poor shot selection, too (I think he swallowed a gyroscope or something - he just doesn't miss from close when he's on the run, no matter how he drives or contorts).