PDA

View Full Version : highest ranking ever?

gmo
12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
So our #4 ranking in several major publications/sites got me trying to remember our highest rank ever... I seem to remember being way up there during a couple of Ammo years, but do not recall exactly how high.

Yes, it is all for fun since we all know rankings really don't matter a great deal come Madness time... but I am just curious for historical perspective sake say if we hit #3 is that the highest ever??

BobZag
12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
There was some talk about this a while ago. I believe the Zags were #2 for a bit in 2004, but I'm not 100% certain. I am certain GU was #3 that year.

GoZags
12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
GU was a 2 in one poll, 3 in the other in the last pre-dance poll that was released. Thus, 2 is Zaga's highest ranking ever.

gueastcoast
12-12-2008, 10:19 AM
The year Stanford and St. Joes went undefeated for so long (2004 I think) we were #3 behind the two of them, as they were our only two losses until the tourney. I don't think we were ever #2 that year as they were undefeated until they weren't (very late in the season). I don't think we were ever higher than that in any other season but am not totally sure.

gueastcoast
12-12-2008, 10:22 AM
GoZags may be right...that sort of rings a bell. I just remember us as #3 for a long time with our only losses being to the (undefeated) #1 and #2.

tobizag
12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
week 17, espn/usa today/coaches poll had us at #2.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?seasonYear=2004&weekNumber=1&seasonType=3

gmo
12-12-2008, 03:07 PM
thanks y'all - I knew many if not all would have better memories than I do!

I definitely remember losing to St. Joe's and Stanford and them winning all of their games for months. Appreciate the link Tobizag, what an incredible squad that year... Morrison, Turiaf, Batista, DR, Mallon, Pendo, Knight, etc.

If we keep playing D we will go further on our 10 year anniversary of the run.