PDA

View Full Version : Next up: Arizona in Phoenix

BobZag
12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
The Cats have two future first-rounders in Budinger and Hill, with a solid supporting cast in Wise, Horne and Fogg/Johnson/Fendi... While lacking depth, what they do have is very good.

I watched a good portion of their game vs SDSU and I liked how they run the floor and play at a pace that I'd describe as comfortable for the Zags, especially when compared to WSU's style.

Jordan Hill will be a handful for Josh, Big Rob and any other Zag. Chase Budinger can get hot from three or drive it to the rim. Nic Wise is a heady PG who can score it inside and from afar. Austin, Micah, Matt, Steven, Jeremy, Meech, all must play great D on their guard and wings, along with the Zag bigs on their bigs.

In short, I'd like nothing more than to come away from Phoenix with a solid win, get the team home for some homecooking in K2 vs Texas Southern, and start amping up for UConn in front a jam-packed KeyArena.

That's my holidays wish.

jazzdelmar
12-11-2008, 10:22 AM
The Cats have two future first-rounders in Budinger and Hill, with a solid supporting cast in Wise, Horne and Fogg/Johnson/Fendi... While lacking depth, what they do have is very good.

I watched a good portion of their game vs SDSU and I liked how they run the floor and play at a pace that I'd describe as comfortable for the Zags, especially when compared to WSU's style.

Jordan Hill will be a handful for Josh, Big Rob and any other Zag. Chase Budinger can get hot from three or drive it to the rim. Nic Wise is a heady PG who can score it inside and from afar. Austin, Micah, Matt, Steven, Jeremy, Meech, all must play great D on their guard and wings, along with the Zag bigs on their bigs.

In short, I'd like nothing more than to come away from Phoenix with a solid win, get the team home for some homecooking in K2 vs Texas Southern, and start amping up for UConn in front a jam-packed KeyArena.

That's my holidays wish.

bzer----not a brand new red, flexible flyer? benz convertible? one more yr of eligibility for Battista (right now), :D

former1dog
12-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Looks to be a tough game for the Bulldogs. Stay focused, play great D and hopefully the boys can come out with the win.

cggonzaga
12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Here's to a 2 vs 3 matchup on Dec 20th!

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Budinger is probably the best scorer the Zags will have played all year to this point. It's always a scary game when there's one guy for the opponent's team that can fill it up like Chase can. But, with that being said, I think Micah matches up well defensively with CB.

Willl this be Austin's break out game? He might have the best matchup on offense against the Wildcats, so I'm saying 'Yes.'

JosephZags
12-11-2008, 10:32 AM

That's my holidays wish.

I think his name is Solomon Hill? Nope, I was wrong!

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I think his name is Solomon Hill?

I believe Solomon Hill is the former Wildcat recruited who backed out after Lute retired.

Jordan Hill is mos' def' their stud big man.

ZagMania
12-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree that Daye will have a field day against Arizona's defense, big day for him. We'll score, play defense like we have and this game is ours.

NotoriousZ
12-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Here's to a 2 vs 3 matchup on Dec 20th!

With the Zags at #2. :D

Zag79
12-11-2008, 11:33 AM
this is the game i worry about more than the coogs, tennessee, etc.

That's my holidays wish.

that sums it up! thanks BZ. ;)

CDC84
12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
BTW - Solomon Hill committed to USC.

75Zag
12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Jordan Hill is going to be a handfull. He is averaging over 12 rebounds per game and shooting very well. It will be interesting to see if Josh H can draw him out from underneath the basket. If he can, it should be a great game for GU. If he can't and Jordan is able to camp underneath the rim like I have seen him do so far this year, he could eat us alive on the boards.

Go Bulldogs

rennis
12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
I seriously doubt the team is looking past this match up. It's tempting to look forward to the BIS, but this game is huge. The name on the jersey ought to get the guys jacked up too.

We're better defensively and offensively. As long as we don't get killed on the boards and give up a lot of second-chance points, and no one like CB goes gonzo from 3, we should be okay in this one.

BigTymeONIONS
12-11-2008, 12:32 PM
The Zags should win this game by ten+ and need to. They have already built a strong resume in the non-conference but need a true road win against a good team. WSU is not good enough to brag about although they are scrappy and will give other Pac 10 teams trouble. A road win at Arizona- a team with only 2 losses, both by 1 point against decent teams (UAB, Texas A&M)- would be huge for the Zags come tournament time when fighting for a high seed. The Zags are better but going to Arizona will be a tough test. I say Zags by 6-12 points.

former1dog
12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Just so we're all aware, this won't be a true home game for Arizona as the game is being played in Phoenix, not Tucson.

BobZag
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
It won't be easy. Despite all the Lute drama and the new coach, these guys have pride and have only lost two games, both in heartbreaking last second fashion by 1 point. They'll be closer to Maryland or Tennessee than any other team Gonzaga has played.

What I'm a bit worried about is all these different arenas the Zags are jumping around to game to game to game. It's like the Globetrotters. I just hope the guys don't wear out, or go flat, or the tank hits "E". That's a concern I have after that insane travel two years ago when the team was nothing more than walking zombies by the time they flew east (Virginia) for the third time for their fifth game back there (UNC, Butler, Georgia, Duke, Virginia).

That's why winning this game in Phoenix would be so huge. After it, there's a breather and enough time at home to recharge and go get UConn (a short flight to Seattle).

rennis
12-11-2008, 02:29 PM
It won't be easy. Despite all the Lute drama and the new coach, these guys have pride and have only lost two games, both in heartbreaking last second fashion by 1 point. They'll be closer to Maryland or Tennessee than any other team Gonzaga has played.

What I'm a bit worried about is all these different arenas the Zags are jumping around to game to game to game. It's like the Globetrotters. I just hope the guys don't wear out, or go flat, or the tank hits "E". That's a concern I have after that insane travel two years ago when the team was nothing more than walking zombies by the time they flew east (Virginia) for the third time for their fifth game back there (UNC, Butler, Georgia, Duke, Virginia).

That's why winning this game in Phoenix would be so huge. After it, there's a breather and enough time at home to recharge and go get UConn (a short flight to Seattle).

Well said. Our depth this year is a huge benefit when doing this much travel. If one guy comes out flat, chances are someone can come off the bench with some energy.

FWIW, I haven't seen even a glimpse of the exhaustion in this team. These guys all seem to have motors that won't quit. Emotionally I think it would be different if they weren't winning, but the thrill of these wins combined with their physical conditioning is keeping them at their best right now, despite the travel. IMHO of course...

billyberu
12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
The Zags should win this game by ten+ and need to. They have already built a strong resume in the non-conference but need a true road win against a good team. WSU is not good enough to brag about although they are scrappy and will give other Pac 10 teams trouble. A road win at Arizona- a team with only 2 losses, both by 1 point against decent teams (UAB, Texas A&M)- would be huge for the Zags come tournament time when fighting for a high seed. The Zags are better but going to Arizona will be a tough test. I say Zags by 6-12 points.

OTOH, a 22pt. butt-whoopin' of a team known for it's defense is something to crow about.

gamagin
12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
your holiday wish has become mine, too.

thanks for the fine roundup. re travel & road weariness. I think the Zags have actually traveled a little less (time and distancewise) and less often thanks to joining the old spice and not having to play three different teams on 3 different trips.

Plus the jet.

When I worry, I worry about a flu bug, or an injury or two, ruining our party.

ZagNative
12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I was thinking last night and this morning how exhausted I was, just as a fan, with the lead up to the WSU game and and then its aftermath; and I was picturing myself with those kids on the bus ride home from Pullman late at night, and the physical and emotional exhaustion ... to come home in the middle of prep week for semester finals next week. (Academic calendar (http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Academic-Calendar/)).

At the end of this semester finals prep week, they'll board a plane for Phoenix, play Arizona Sunday, December 14, and fly home for the start of finals week.

Last-hour cram sessions that I unfortunately favored as a college student? No way. No time.

The discipline required to switch from athlete to student and back, and to be fully focused on both, and to remember that no matter what a big deal you might be on the court, in the classroom, you're still expected to perform like anyone else ... well, it's just amazing to me ...

BigTymeONIONS
12-11-2008, 03:45 PM
OTOH, a 22pt. butt-whoopin' of a team known for it's defense is something to crow about.

Very true but come tournament time I don't think we'll be noting this game as a big win. I just don't think WSU is that good this year. I will say though, winning by 22 on anyone's home floor is an accomplishment in itself.

PHXzag
12-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Just so we're all aware, this won't be a true home game for Arizona as the game is being played in Phoenix, not Tucson.

I'll be there yelling as loud as I can trying to decrease their home court advantage

MickMick
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Zags would be a signature win for a bubble team and Arizona has a streak to maintain.

Having said that, the pattern repeats.

Close at halftime, then Zags rip em' to shreds.

Nevtelen
12-11-2008, 11:25 PM
While Budinger is shooting rediculously well from 3 this year, I am relatively confident that the team can deal with him by putting various guys on him (esp Micah) or by commitee. The biggest match-up in the game will be Hill vs Heytvelt IMO.

As much as I love Josh (and I love Josh a LOT this year), Hill is a much better rebounder and better in the post as far as I've seen (and at least as good of a shot-blocker). He's also pretty good at mid-range, matches Josh in height and athleticism, and seems as good in transition. I've never seen him shoot a 3, though (probably a reason for that, I would assume), and it seems like he's prone to foul-trouble at times. GU needs to get him in foul trouble ASAP and get him off the court. If Josh got into foul trouble and had to sit, Hill could eat Sacre, Ira, and Will for lunch and ask for another helping. Especially on the boards, which have not been a strength for this team this season.

As good as the wins the team has gotten so far have been, Heytvelt has yet to play against a really good opposing center. Baynes was the best he's seen and Josh just out-athleted him on the break or on the move from mid-range/three and got his shot. There will be no out-athleteing Hill - he'll be able to keep up offensively and defensively. There is a real chance in this game of Arizona being the first team to truly show up the Zags real lack of quality depth inside. This needs to not happen. If the Zags win the inside game (I count the battle of the boards here), they win. If not, it could be a loooong afternoon.

Reborn
12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Arizona has been either my favorite or 2nd favorite team for a long long time, and that's because of Lute Olsen. They will not be the same without him. I know I will not feel the same about them with him gone. Lute has been my favorite coach since Al Maguire and John Wooden. I wasn't that impressed with them last year, and really this year will be no different. The team just isn't the same with Lute gone. It's like they don't have heart. I think Gonzaga's style of play reflects Lute Olsen a lot, and I know he and Mark Few are friends.

I like the players that Lute brought to Arizona. They are great basketball players. Chase Budinger is a great basketball player and one of my favorites. Hill will be a handful for the Zags for sure. Originally I had this as a loss for the Zags, but after what I've seen so far this season I doubt strongly that we will lose. The Wildcats will give us a great game. You can count on that. Way better than the Cougs. I agree with BZ that the road games wear on you, but I think the Zags are rested, and I'm glad the game is Sunday and not Saturday. It will be easer to beat them on Sunday than it would be to beat them on Saturday. An extra day of rest right now is really reallly a lot. The fact that the game is not going to be played on campus will also give us 5-8 points. In this game that's going to be a lot.

Arizona is not a run and gun team this year because they don't have the bench to play that style. They slow it down quite a bit. All five of their starters are terrfic ball players. They can all score too. This will be a very exciting game because there will be great offensive players in it. The team with the best defensive wins, and the one who commits the fewest turnovers. Gonzaga is the better Defensive team, again. I don't expect a lot of turnovers by either teams.

Ziggy
12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Just to add context to this discussion, I remember well the game in SLC,
round of 32, DBL overtime, Blake misses the bank shot at the buzzer, a sad ending to an otherwise extraordinary BB game! A "great loss" if you will. That was Zona's time and this is Zaga's time. I'm loving all the revenge games this year; Tenn., IU, Arizona, Tenn again, UCONN again, Memphis,etc. It's our time this time! The ledger needs balancing! GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BobZag
12-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Just to add context to this discussion, I remember well the game in SLC,
round of 32, DBL overtime, Blake misses the bank shot at the buzzer, a sad ending to an otherwise extraordinary BB game! A "great loss" if you will. That was Zona's time and this is Zaga's time. I'm loving all the revenge games this year; Tenn., IU, Arizona, Tenn again, UCONN again, Memphis,etc. It's our time this time! The ledger needs balancing! GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WSU, too? ;)

Ziggy
12-12-2008, 11:43 PM
WSU, too? ;)

Especially WAZZU!:D

AK457
12-13-2008, 01:03 AM
i figured id give my 2 cents on this one... so i went to uofa the first 2 years of college and transferred to gonzaga last year. i followed az basketball really close when i was there, even lived in the same dorm as budinger, hill, and wise. while i was at uofa, i learned one thing: this team knows how to disappoint like you wouldn't believe and is incredibly frustrating to watch. Back to back seasons they were ranked 10 preseason to fall straight out of the polls, and that was with Olson there. The did everything from blowing games (UW 3 years ago, they were winning 39.5 minutes of that game, see also texas A&M this year), to getting swept by horrible opponents on road trips (uofo and osu a couple years ago), to getting absolutely destroyed in marquee games (UNC absolutely ripping us at home by 30+). there is absolutely no way gonzaga will lose this game. has anyone actually watched arizona play this year? its wise, budinger, and hill. and thats it. anyone see the UAB game? i know you hear people say a team "threw away" a win but holy ####, an on purpose foul after tying the game with a foul shot in the final seconds, then an intentional foul with the game tied with .3 seconds left 98 feet from the basket... that's something.

so basically the game plan? get hill into foul trouble, which he always gets into, and that means we'll get just about every single rebound. chase budinger absolutely disappears in big games, so no worries there. our depth should own their 3 players since they cant be subbed out and our height advantage should really help too. that and they're not playing at home, its in phoenix, which is sun devils territory, and asu is playing a game there that day too, so i wouldn't be surprised if its very close to a neutral setting, since they hate the cats.

my honest to god prediction is that this game wont be close past 5 minutes. hill gets into foul trouble early and thats game.

having watched uofa get strangled by a stringent wazzu defense style (yes i know the team itself is much different now)that we obliterated, and recognizing that the gap between uofa in 2006-7 and UNC that year is about the same as uofa and us this year, all while not being at a true home game... i dont think a win around 25 points is unlikely at all.

that being said, i hope the zags dont lay an egg like against IU and i hope arizona doesn't decide to play well, which they tend to do against good opponents, but no worries, they just make the game close but never, ever, ever, actually win

heres a record of close games arizona has played in against ranked opponenets the last 3 years:

vs. No. 4 Kansas* L 76-72
at No. 11 Stanford L 56-52
No. 11 Stanford L 67-66
No. 2 UCLA L 68-66
No. 17 Oregon L 79-77
at No. 2 UCLA L 73-69
at #2 Villanova L 82-78
No 14Washington L 70-67
at No 12Michigan State L 74-71

so i hope the zags come out strong and it aught not even be close
GU 88
ZONA 66