PDA

View Full Version : Let's hope the flu bug stays isolated and goes away

CDC84
12-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Matt Bouldin was as sick as a dog last night. He had to get IV treatments at the WSU health center before the game. Hopefully there was a place for him to stretch out on the team bus after the game.

zagzealot
12-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Any chance that's why Foster didn't play? I thought it was strange that Sorenson made it in but Foster didn't.

ZaginLaw
12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
The flu bug hits the team every year. Do they get a flu shot?

I used to get the flu bug yearly. When I graduated I began getting flu shots with my employer and I rarely get the flu now. I don't know if that 100% due to the flu shot helped with improvements in sleeping/eating habits since college.

zagzealot
12-11-2008, 09:20 AM
There's the flu and then there's The Flu, as in influenza. You get the shot for influenza and I would have to believe they all get shots. I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that Matt had the flu as in barfs, etc. that would cause dehydration requiring an IV. Influenza is respiratory. Again, I'm just speculating and not saying what anyone on the team has.

Gozags2
12-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Pretty decent game for Matt considering the condition he was in--he is a tough kid.

CDC84
12-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I am not a medical doctor, but I have heard that high performance athletes - particularly ones with low body fat - can sometimes have weakened immune systems. I would imagine this makes you more susceptible to picking up alternate strains of the flu virus. Another factor - not everyone can take the flu vaccine. Some people have allergies to it.

zagzealot
12-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Good points, CDC.

I also know first hand that if you have influenza and participate in physical activity you'll risk side effects if you don't lay low for the 7-10 days that are required after exposure. Like temporary paralysis (myositis). My son had this last spring and it was really scary. He pitched in a baseball game a few days after coming down with influenza, although we didn't know it was influenza at the time. The virus will attack your activated muscles and eat them. Then you worry about heart and kidney damage. Influenza is not something to mess with.

Angelo Roncalli
12-11-2008, 10:08 AM
MedZag or Abe can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that most people who say they have the flu don't have influenza, but probably have a norovirus or maybe a rotavirus.

With a norovirus, you're sick for about 2 days. With true influenza, you're sick for a long time, with significant respiratory symptoms.

Sounds like Matt had a norovirus.