PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Casto?

finechina2003
12-11-2008, 07:46 AM
First of all, the Zags were great last night ... especially the first part of the second half. I think they are the most talented and poised team that has ever donned the Zag's uniform. On a different note - was anyone else impressed with Casto? And did anyone else have thoughts that they wished we had recruited him? I'm glad to see that he is playing well and I think he is going to have a great career as a Cougar.

cggonzaga
12-11-2008, 07:49 AM
I wish him the best of luck at Wazzu and no I don't wish we recruited him. Great player but has a long way to go in his personal and academic life. Looks like he's off to a great start where he's at.

thespywhozaggedme
12-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Evil cruel dictator, who's about to kick the bucket. His brother Raul, however seems a bit more reform minded. Time to lift the embargo? Maybe.

former1dog
12-11-2008, 07:51 AM
It looks to me like Casto is an excellent player and works especially hard out on the basketball court. I can't say I know what happened with Casto's recruitment, but I would suspect that it eventually came down to mutual disinterest.

Good luck to him and the Cougs.

NontradZag
12-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Casto looked good, especially on defense. His length caused problems on the perimeter last night. I believe he was the best defender on the floor for the Cougs.

As to wishing we would have picked him up; that I'm not sure. Everyone in Spokane seems to know about his academic issues, so even if we wanted him, he might not have qualified.

former1dog
12-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Evil cruel dictator, who's about to kick the bucket. His brother Raul, however seems a bit more reform minded. Time to lift the embargo? Maybe.

No, no, Emily.... That's CasTO not CasTRO....

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8732/imagesemilylitella1smalzi0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Stay tuned for Emily's next OPED on lesbians.

gamagin
12-11-2008, 07:54 AM
He has had to overcome a ton of circumstances way beyond his control. And he not only survivies, he thrives. tony bennet has a star on his hands and Casto has a very promising life to look forward to. Perfect.

He had a breakout game against us. He blocked JH once (maybe twice) underneath, he stole the ball from (I think Goodson) and dribbled it the distance to score; he hustled like a guard and shot really well in traffic, against the #4 team in the nation.

I think he was the star of last night's game for WSU. The future.

I wish him nothing but success. Except against us.

rennis
12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
My thoughts? The kid is gonna be good.

MDABE80
12-11-2008, 08:19 AM
He's developed since Ferris and will get better. Lots of athletic talent in his bones. Oddball family situation usually generates instability...and it has i his case. Oftentimes this type of situation will result in uneven performance in school.....which it did.
He looked very good last night. I hope he stays on the stright and narrow. he's got a great opportunity at WSU....hope he makes the most of it. When Gu looked at him, he was in the midst of absolute mayhem with marginal school performance. Thus Few thought better of recruiting him. I would have done the same thing. 4 months into his freshman year, he looks to be doing ok on the court. Good for him. When it come to academics, we'll see. Hope he does well with that component too.

LongIslandZagFan
12-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I wish him the best. I don't think he would have been a good fit at GU. But he looked good.

jbslicer
12-11-2008, 08:21 AM
The Zags could use a guy like Casto. He's pretty good. Past posts that say he wasn't "Zag material" are just stupid.

LongIslandZagFan
12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
The Zags could use a guy like Casto. He's pretty good. Past posts that say he wasn't "Zag material" are just stupid.

A good chunk of the success of the program relates to chemistry. If you have a disruptive player, it impacts the team detrimentally. Not an issue of "Zag material" but rather just not a good fit.

GoZags
12-11-2008, 08:47 AM
He has had to overcome a ton of circumstances way beyond his control. And he not only survivies, he thrives. tony bennet has a star on his hands and Casto has a very promising life to look forward to. Perfect.

He had a breakout game against us. He blocked JH once (maybe twice) underneath, he stole the ball from (I think Goodson) and dribbled it the distance to score; he hustled like a guard and shot really well in traffic, against the #4 team in the nation.

I think he was the star of last night's game for WSU. The future.

I wish him nothing but success. Except against us.

Bingo

Angelo Roncalli
12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
He's better than I thought he was going to be.

Great effort and hustle last night.

Looks like he's "bought in" to Bennett's style. He showed that he was "coachable," which was in issue in many people's minds.

A success story in the making. Congratulations to him.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-11-2008, 09:06 AM
you people state "academic issues" as one of many reason for him not coming here, Im sorry but my dearly beloved Jeremy Pargo had some "academic issues" as well. I would best assume not to comment on why he didnt make it here, because I really dont know, just the same as anyone else on this board. He is going to be a stud, and believe it or not he is a good kid, that much I can tell you without doubt.

former1dog
12-11-2008, 09:21 AM
you people state "academic issues" as one of many reason for him not coming here, Im sorry but my dearly beloved Jeremy Pargo had some "academic issues" as well.

Good point. I really do think that it was probably mutual disinterest.

Casto wasn't particularly interested in playing at Gonzaga and Few wasn't particularly interested in having him come to Gonzaga. No biggie.

sittingon50
12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
He looked real good. I hope he kicks Pac X butt.

spudzag
12-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Good point. I really do think that it was probably mutual disinterest.

Casto wasn't particularly interested in playing at Gonzaga and Few wasn't particularly interested in having him come to Gonzaga. No biggie.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Just not a match.

Once and Future Zag
12-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I actually thought the "young Ronny Turiaf" comparison that either Heister or Ehlo made was moderately apt in terms of gameplay, though Casto does not have the hair or the smile...

Whether that holds up is something different.

Zag79
12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
i played against casto, and had the chance to meet some of his family. im glad hes a coog, and not a zag. i will never say someone isnt zag material, thats just silly to me. but i will say hes probably a better fit there than here for many reasons.

seasontixholder
12-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Please take this as "criticism" without the negative connotation.

Mark Few has gone beyond "maintenance" stage with the Zags. For better or for worse, he has raised program goals. Realisitically or unrealistically, he is trying to prove himself wrong that a national title can't be won here before abandoning the quest (or the campus itself).

After about five years of watching traditional Zag-like guards struggling in post-season play against more athletic players, he made the decision to get more NBA-like bodies on campus. Not that they will turn out to be NBA talent, but that the potential wasn't limited by size and athletic limitations from the get go. Ergo, the huge push for Jeremy Pargo.

In that vein, Casto doesn't meet his lofty criteria. He is a short center with average offensive skills. On the continuum of Zag players, his size/skill combination will be between Kuso and Calvary, rather than between Calvary and Heytvelt.

Look at the current roster. It's filled with people who have the combination of size, mobility, and talent that older Zags didn't possess as a whole. There aren't a lot of folks that can be pigeonholed as "tweeners" or "mid-major", (unless an unbiased look at last year's recruiting class is included).

Casto is strong, dynamic guy and an Energizer Bunny. He will outperform his undersized label in most of his college career games. But, realistically, he is potentially limited when the competition begins to hit the highest levels of play (Final Four) simply because of his height. I think that this is the answer, rather than any intangibles that should not be speculated about.

It's Few's judgment, and it may come back to bite badly more than once.

Zag79
12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
i fully agree with you seasontixholder, except for the kuso/casey comparison. casey would have destroyed casto and was one of the best bigs to play at GU. so lets leave it at casto is kuso like, fin. :D

Zag509
12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Academic issues thrown aside, he is gonna be a majoir problem for the Zags durning his 6 years at WSU.

:D