PDA

View Full Version : A view from the otherside

FuManShoes
12-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Nice read. Dude is torn, sorta.

http://www.cougcenter.com/2008/12/9/688054/the-team-i-love-against-th

And while Dick was building up the Cougars with defense and character, Gonzaga was becoming increasingly deficient in both. The 2-3 zone used to be a way for the Zags to even the playing field against physically superior teams. Now the physically superior team, GU started relaxing on D and allowed any WCC opponent to have a shot at beating them just by draining their threes. Gonzaga also developed a "we're better than you and we know it" attitude, as evidenced by Micah Downs' proclamation that WSU was the second-best team in the state last fall. The Zags had become the Yankees of the WCC.

I learned to love WSU's style of play, not the resulting wins or losses. And as a student/alumnus I am tied to Wazzu in a way that I'll never be to Gonzaga. I'm still a fan of the Bulldogs, and I'm still thrilled with all the talent they've success they've had. I'm still afraid Mark Few will make the mistake of his career and leave for Oregon, or Arizona, or wherever. I was about ready to murder Gus Johnson just for making the call on the UCLA disaster in the tournament. I'm still frustrated they've continually failed to live up to their NCAA tourney seed in recent years, despite an unbelievable amount of talent. I get excited when they have a huge victory, and disappointed when they let someone like Stephen Curry tear them to shreds.*

*Having Stephen Curry drop 40 on you is getting to be less and less embarrassing. still painful, but not embarrassing.

Nevtelen
12-09-2008, 11:19 PM
One thing I don't get is the heated "rivalry" between WSU and Gonzaga. Spare me. Seriously, a "F*** Wazzu" chant from the Kennel Club? The same chant, only reversed, from the ZZU CRU? In my first three years in Pullman you were much more likely to see someone wearing Gonzaga basketball gear on campus than the Cougar alternative. We should be united in our common hatred of all things Husky, and we should be grateful that our programs can coexist in the Top 25, rather than fighting amongst each other for tournament seeds and conference titles. Sure, it's a fun rivalry, especially when we're both this good, but let's tone down the intensity. UW is worse. To both of us. This despite the fact the Huskies are 1-15 in their last 16 meetings with WSU and Gonzaga.

I agree with him on that point mostly. But I still want the team to absolutely stomp WSU into the ground tomorrow. Then I can resume cheering for them on Sat. :D

I'm also not buying the author's "WSU can force GU into lots of TO's" idea. Unless the team is playing sloppy, they've mostly been very good about TOs this year so far. The bigger danger is WSU getting hot from 3, as the author states, though the perimiter D has looked pretty good so far, too.

GoZags
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
"I'm still frustrated they've continually failed to live up to their NCAA tourney seed in recent years, despite an unbelievable amount of talent."
-------------------
Last year 7 seed Gonzaga lost to 10 seed Davidson (who was pretty good). That's the only time in the last three dances that the Zags have failed to live up to their seed.

LAZAGFAN11
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Daven Harmeling will be an "x" factor tomorrow along with the rest of Wazzu's 3 point threats (Nikola Koprivica, Rochestie, and Thompson). If those guys get hot, watch out.

Zags need to defend and rebound. Getting our 3 point stroke back tomorrow wouldn't hurt either! Go Zags

FuManShoes
12-10-2008, 04:29 AM
"I'm still frustrated they've continually failed to live up to their NCAA tourney seed in recent years, despite an unbelievable amount of talent."
-------------------
Last year 7 seed Gonzaga lost to 10 seed Davidson (who was pretty good). That's the only time in the last three dances that the Zags have failed to live up to their seed.

Wyoming, Texas Tech and Nevada? I think those may have been on the writer's mind. And UCLA, despite being a higher seed, was utterly defeated by the superior team .... until they weren't. The Zags Coug'd that one (or Yankee '95'd it).