PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs WSU Cougars game predictions

Reborn
12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Gonzaga 65
WSU 55

I like this game for the Zags. I don't think the Cougs have enough fire power right now at this point in the season. Yes, they will be up for us. But, maybe to everyone's surprise, the Zags are going to be really up for the Cougs. Cougs have won two in a row. Our guys are seniors now, and they remember the pain of those two losses. At Ieast I hope they do because I sure do. I HATE losing to the Cougs. On my calendar it's a game circled every year; but then I go back to the 60's when we really were rivals.

I look forward to seeing the battle of the front courts.
I look forward to the battle of the back courts.
I like the Zags at every position.

pbriz
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
This game will not be taken lightly by our boys. The cougs will try to slow it down but we know that is coming. We haven't turned the ball over much this year but have been forcing many and we will continue to do so. Daye is up for the challenge and Downs takes it to a less experienced Klay Thompson on the offensive end. Baynes gets into foul trouble when Heytvelt and Sacre show their toughness. Pargo shows his toughness and Meech frustrates Rochestie.

I say the Zags by 15-20. A similar performance to when we played UW two years ago. Josh, Pargo, Downs, Austin, Matt are all pumped for this one I know.

We define ourselves as a tough, defensive minded team with too much talent on offense.

Zags 68
Cougs 50

bigblahla
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Mini-me blahla says Zags 75 Cougs 57, I would normally tell him he's nuts but he had the Zags at 73-54 over the Hoosiers so maybe he's on to something.

I say Zags 71 Cougs 59 hard fought ugly 12 point win for the good guys.

Go!! Zags!!!

johnwzag
12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't know how many point Gonzaga is going to get. After watching WSU play two games, I will say the Cougars will not get 50 points.

JohnOGU
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
74-53, Gonzaga. With the combination of their lack of offense and our defense, who knows if theyll even score that many.

rennis
12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
64-58 Zags.

I want the margin to be higher but we always play like crap against the Cougs. Always.

thickman1
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm going to say this game won't be played because it's only being shown in the northwest. :mad:

MississppiZag
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Luckily i will be watching on Fox Sports Northwest.

I just hope we win. Whether it is ugly or not, just a W at the end of the day is all that matters.

MickMick
12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Prediction one:

Zags score less than 60.

Prediction two:

Zags win by double digits.

Reborn
12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Im changing mine. I've just gotten fired up about reading how Casey, Matt Santangelo and others were at practice to night. I think the fire is lit now....We are going to come out steaming.

GU 70
WSU 55

TM27
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
66 - 50 Zags....

Klay Thompson is a treat to watch. WSU runs a lot of sets where they screen away to get him in space at the top of the key. Baynes lateral foot speed is MUCH improved from last year. They lost a lot from last year and it shows. Taylor looks a little lost at times. and their D is not what it was last year....but it is still more relentlesss than 90% of the teams out there. Close game till zags close first half strong...zags pull away 2nd half. Matt B leads team in scoring.

Thomas_Sutpen
12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Zags 101
Cougs 87

Kidding.

How about:
Zags 59
Cougs 48

SDzagster
12-08-2008, 04:51 PM
As long as our bigs don't get in foul trouble and Klay Thompson doesn't get really hot, we should win by about 7.
Zags 60 - 53.

NotoriousZ
12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
O.K. I'll play too:

Zags 64
Cougs 36

You read it correctly, 36. Their "slow down" offense will be in top form.

gbnyba17
12-08-2008, 05:24 PM
When it comes down to it, the zags many many many offensive threats are just too much for the cougars. i would not be surprised if Austin goes off wednesday evening. I honestly wouldnt be shocked if he puts up 20 or more. I dont see anyone on that team who can match up with him. GO ZAGS!!!

Zags 62-50

gu03alum
12-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Gonzaga 80 - WSU 61.5 (both team's averages)

The .5 point is going to be tough, but WSU will find a way.

Zag509
12-08-2008, 06:27 PM
WSU 55 GU 54

Free throws cost it for us.

ZagLawGrad
12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
WSU 55 GU 54

Good grief...there's gotta be one in every crowd

primal23
12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
GU 58
WSU 55

Always a close game in Pullman.

Psychozag
12-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I would like to think that WSU can't make the game much uglier than IU, and that we couldn't shoot worse. It seems that these games are always in the 50's, but Tony Bennett doesn't slow the game as much as his daddy did.
I say GU 66, WSU 61. This game has never been easy, and I don't see why it would start being easy now. Good chance we lose it as it's the first true away game we have had.

Zagheel
12-08-2008, 08:12 PM
54-50 Zags. Any W in Pullman is a good one.

Tmac5360
12-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I like the zags 65 52. I don't really think that it will be in doubt much all night. Kind of like IU, it will be ugly but effective.

former1dog
12-08-2008, 08:23 PM
My prediction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

As always.... :D ;)

gu03alum
12-08-2008, 09:36 PM
My prediction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

As always.... :D ;)

PAIN - LOL

23dpg
12-08-2008, 10:17 PM
62-51 Gonzaga winning an ugly one.

FuManShoes
12-09-2008, 06:11 AM
66-57 Zags. Please god, make the Aussie foul out so Heytvelt can dunk all over a Ferris kid, something I was never given the tools to do.

LongIslandZagFan
12-09-2008, 06:28 AM
58-55 Cougs... I completely agree that FTs will do us in during a grinder of a game.

omahazag
12-09-2008, 07:32 AM
67 - 54 Zags win....we will need to run and force turnovers to score the 67 I'm predicting....

Robzagnut
12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Opposite of last year.

Last year WSU had three seniors starting. This year it is GU.

Last year GU was the young team. This year it is WSU.

Last year WSU had the dominate defense. This year it is GU.

Last year GU had problems finding consistent scorers in big games. This year it is WSU.

Last year WSU's experience was the difference and they imposed their will on GU. This year GU will return the favor, 64 - 49

FrosTbear
12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
I see a different game, the wait game WSU plays will be changed by turnovers, steals and easy baskets for GU. I see our double digit shooters lighting up the score board...GU 81 WSU 51 (shooting 38%). GU will move on to Arizona 7-0

rennis
12-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I see a different game, the wait game WSU plays will be changed by turnovers, steals and easy baskets for GU. I see our double digit shooters lighting up the score board...GU 81 WSU 51 (shooting 38%). GU will move on to Arizona 7-0

I personally don't see that happening but if we beat WSU by 30 I'm going to start slamming Gonzaga Kool Aid like it was Busch Lite at a Kennel Club party...

Reborn
12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
rennis says "but if we beat WSU by 30 I'm going to start slamming Gonzaga Kool Aid like it was Busch Lite at a Kennel Club party..."

:lmao: That was great, rennis. Made my afternoon. I love it when someone can make me laugh.....:lmao: I'll join ya!!! Even if I have to drive over from Yakima.

johnwzag
12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I have had some time to study WSU, Pitt and Baylor. I pulled out all oponents below with an RPI greater then 100. These are the numbers...

Gonzaga RPI 1 SOS 2 - 6 guys averaging double figures
Maryland 81 points on #22
Tennessee 83 points on #44
Oklahoma St 83 points on #66 (Ten days off)

PIT RPI 4 SOS 19 - 3 guys averaging double figures.
Miami (OH) 82 on #42
Texas Tech 80 on #59
Akron 86 on #89

Baylor RPI 32 SOS 75 - 4 guys averaging double figures.
Arizona St. 87 on #51
Wake Forest 74 on #55

WSU RPI 133 SOS 182
Pittsburgh 43-57 L 57
Baylor 52-58 L 58

My thoughts. Pitt and Baylor have not played the tougher opponents we have. We don't know what happened in the Texas scrimmage and that is another top 10 ranked team. Neither Pitt nor Baylor have played a top 25 team yet. We have played against 2 top 10 teams Tennesse and Texas. We also beat Maryland which beat Michigan State and Michigan (which beat UCLA and DUKE ).

I am going to assume that Pitt is way over ranked until Pitt plays Georgetown. Also Pitt and Baylor do not have any where near the overall height and size of our guys do. Nor does WSU. Sure Baynes is big, but slow. Micah, Austin, Josh and Robert have an advantage on height and speed. The rest of the team will have speed. Pargo is going to be determined: "They've beaten us twice in a row, that's enough said," Gonzaga point guard Jeremy Pargo declared. "I don't need to say more." (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/12/09/gonzaga.ap/)

Then there is Meech. We will be coming off a shooting slump from Indiana playing at 10:00AM our time and in a football stadium. We will have our shot back. Yet the cougs will still be able to slow us down with their ugly offense probably. they are going to have a terrible time scoring on us, unless we are sloppy and I don't see that happening in a rivarly game they are preparing for.

My prediction is 75-43

kyle dixon
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
My feeling is this is going to be a very close game. I have watched interviews from the Cougar players and they drink Tony Bennett's kool aid as they are smart and are as disciplined as any team which the Zags will play all year. They have not been shooting the ball well lately from the field, but at times some players have found their touch against us from the outside.

The Zags will prevail 59-49. The first half will be low scoring and our depth will wear the Cougs down in the end.

kyle

outrunu
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
We also beat Maryland which beat Michigan (which beat UCLA and Michigan State).

John,
One problem with your analysis. Maryland beat Mich St., not Michigan.

75Zag
12-09-2008, 03:18 PM
The Cougars have lost 34 straight games to top five opponents.

Here's to #35!

Go Bulldogs.

johnwzag
12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
John,
One problem with your analysis. Maryland beat Mich St., not Michigan.

They beat both Michigan and Michigan State.
11/27 MSU W 80-62
12/03 MICH W 75-70

I made an edit above where I put Michigan State rather than Duke though.

johnwzag
12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
The Cougars have lost 34 straight games to top five opponents.

Here's to #35!

Go Bulldogs.

I like that number a lot.

JohnOGU
12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I have had some time to study WSU, Pitt and Baylor. I pulled out all oponents below with an RPI greater then 100. These are the numbers...

Gonzaga RPI 1 SOS 2 - 6 guys averaging double figures
Maryland 81 points on #22
Tennessee 83 points on #44
Oklahoma St 83 points on #66 (Ten days off)

PIT RPI 4 SOS 19 - 3 guys averaging double figures.
Miami (OH) 82 on #42
Texas Tech 80 on #59
Akron 86 on #89

Baylor RPI 32 SOS 75 - 4 guys averaging double figures.
Arizona St. 87 on #51
Wake Forest 74 on #55

WSU RPI 133 SOS 182
Pittsburgh 43-57 L 57
Baylor 52-58 L 58

My thoughts. Pitt and Baylor have not played the tougher opponents we have. We don't know what happened in the Texas scrimmage and that is another top 10 ranked team.

But we do know what happened in the scrimmage. we beat them.

TuckC
12-09-2008, 03:44 PM
52-39 Gonzaga. Zags struggle outside, but will take care of business with solid FGs.

johnwzag
12-09-2008, 03:45 PM

That is what I heard, but I never heard what that source was. Also on numerous occasions, I saw quotes from Texas coach about a number of problems in Texas offense.

TuckC
12-09-2008, 03:46 PM

I missed that "we won" came out after the scrimmage. Can somebody explain?

fedwayzag
12-09-2008, 04:17 PM
"Gonzaga also had a spirited annual series against Washington, but the Huskies grew weary after losing eight of the past nine games and dropped it on the grounds they wanted to play a more national schedule. So far this year they have played the likes of Cleveland State, Florida International, Texas Southern and Portland."

Thought this was funny in the SI article.

4AmericasTeam
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
We should beat the Cougs by 10-15 points, but if they make it ugly and we continue our poor free throw shooting it could get a little too interesting.

MickMick
12-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Comparison 1 (http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=micah-downs&p1=jeremy-pargo&p2=taylor-rochestie&p3=matt-bouldin&p4=klay-thompson)

Comparison 2 (http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=aron-baynes&p1=nikola-koprivica&p2=austin-daye&p3=daven-harmeling&p4=josh-heytvelt)

scott_fivefour
12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
WSU 55 GU 54

dumb

LongIslandZagFan
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
dumb

Quite the meaningful post. Way to elaborate. Lets try to be a little nicer to our fellow posters. BTW... I have us losing this game as well... does that make me dumb?

Civility... it need not be a lost art just because you are semi-anonymous on a message board.

JohnOGU
12-09-2008, 05:40 PM
im not going to single anyone out, but i have to question whetherornot some of you understand how good we really are this year. we have an outstanding, OUTSTANDING team. i have us losing maybe 2 games. Its beyond me how some of you ca truly beieve that we're going to lose to WSU tomorrow.

I think far too may of you use the past as a guide to future games. Theres a reason why we're #4. As JP said in the latest Slam Magazine " We have a really good chance to win a National Championship this year." Trust the leader.

outrunu
12-09-2008, 05:40 PM
They beat both Michigan and Michigan State.
11/27 MSU W 80-62
12/03 MICH W 75-70

I made an edit above where I put Michigan State rather than Duke though.
My apologies sir.

MississppiZag
12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
^^^Yes...Yes it does. :)

The game can go either way if we don't run our offense, turn the ball over, miss FT's, etc. Just come out work hard, and battle the Cougs for 40 minutes and hopefully walk away with a WIN.

zagzilla
12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
On paper we are the stronger deeper team.

In terms of intangibles, we have the motivation of losing the last 2 which Pargo spoke to and will keep us from looking past the game.

On the other hand, WSU is coming off a rare home loss to Baylor and are probably pretty motivated not to lose back to back home games,

Over all we still pull it out but I wish they had beat Baylor to take the edge off them.

Go Zags!

ZZ

LongIslandZagFan
12-09-2008, 06:00 PM
im not going to single anyone out, but i have to question whetherornot some of you understand how good we really are this year. we have an outstanding, OUTSTANDING team. i have us losing maybe 2 games. Its beyond me how some of you ca truly beieve that we're going to lose to WSU tomorrow.

I think far too may of you use the past as a guide to future games. Theres a reason why we're #4. As JP said in the latest Slam Magazine " We have a really good chance to win a National Championship this year." Trust the leader.

Please don't equate losing with not thinking this team is good.

I think that:

a) this is a trap game played in what I would expect to be a very hostile environment.

b) The Zags FTs have been horrid at best lately. Maybe not Memphis last year bad, but bad. In the type of game I expect to see... that is going to be a critical thing.

c) They have won games and lost on the boards. I don't like that one bit at all. They were almost equaled on the boards by an Indiana team that they outsized at nearly every position.

d) The early high ranking could go to their heads and the Cougs will be on the prowl to knock off a top ranked team.

They can very easily lose this game.... and no... its not dumb, but rather well thought out. I love this team and I think they can go very far... but there are things that need to get fixed and if they aren't fixed before tomorrow, could bite them in the behind.

johnwzag
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
My apologies sir.

Please don't call me sir. Call me Johnny or Johnw or Johnwzag

johnwzag
12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Comparison 1 (http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=micah-downs&p1=jeremy-pargo&p2=taylor-rochestie&p3=matt-bouldin&p4=klay-thompson)

Comparison 2 (http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=aron-baynes&p1=nikola-koprivica&p2=austin-daye&p3=daven-harmeling&p4=josh-heytvelt)

Great link. We still have played a lot tougher games though.

Reborn
12-09-2008, 08:37 PM
LongIslandZagfan says "BTW... I have us losing this game as well... does that make me dumb?"

LIZF has as much credibillity as anyone on this board, and I take heed to everything he says. However, this time I think your wrong, LIZF.

LIZF CONTINUES, "They can very easily lose this game.... and no... its not dumb, but rather well thought out. I love this team and I think they can go very far... but there are things that need to get fixed and if they aren't fixed before tomorrow, could bite them in the behind."

It's difficult for me to see that you have thought this out LIZF. I mean come on. The Cougs this year are no where near as good as the Cougs the last two years. That was a special team, as this one is special for the Zags. Sometimes talent does win. And, I for one, think that it wins a lot more than sometimes. I think the Cougars are overmatched at every position. PERIOD.

The problem Baylor had with the Cougs is that they have NO inside game. NONE. Baylor wins best when the get out on the fast break and run and gun. They have lots of speed, and good shooters. But in this slow down game it was very difficult for them to score without some scoring down low. Bennet was able to do a lot of double teaming, and even tripple teaming Baylor guards. And still Baylor won. And there was only one reason....Cougs could not score, and I don't think Baylor is known for its defense, but they do have some big strong guys down low to defend. GU is not Baylor in any way. Just as we were not Georgetown, who lost to Tennessee by 18. Gonzaga is extremely balanced, and as is frequently said, we have six guys who could score 20 in any given night. I think WSU has one and maybe two. This makes it difficult to defend the Zags, who have not only very good guards but very good post players, and we have guards who can post up and post players who can shoot 3's.

WSU can hope for only one thing....and that the Zags are freezing cold from the outside. I don't see how they can go out on our shooters the way they did against Baylor...We'll just go inside to Josh and Austin. Or we'll pull Josh and Austin outside and let Jeremy and Matt post up Cougs smaller guards.

If, as you say, the Zags are to go a long ways this year, they need to win this game. This is not a trap game. It's a must win game. To lose this one, imo, would show the flaws that this team has had in the past. That's what I think is different about the Zags this year. The flaws HAVE BEEN fixed. Healed, or whatever. These Zags are not THOSE Zags. I AM EXCITED ABOUT THE ZAGS AND I AM EXCITED ABOUT THE GAME TOMORROW.

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2008, 05:55 AM
In a fast paced game, its possible to win while getting beat on the boards and missing FTs... in a slow grinder of a game, every rebound opportunity and FT is precious and need to be taken advantage of.

WSU is a very good team and should not be looked past. This is the first truly defensive game (on both sides) that the Zags will be in. They will need to play the half court game and execute well. I fear that they are more comfortable in a run and gun game.

I hope I am wrong, but there are several things that I can see going against them that will make it a hard fought game that is quite losable. Ways that I can see us winning? Battling harder and winning the boards, making the free throws and shooting at our average FG% and trying to dictate the pace at times.

Rubbadub
12-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Bumping my three posts from last year's "Official Cougar hatred thread"...

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7568&page=3&

I'm not saying I want Robbie Cowgill to get eaten by a bear or anything but...

Rubbadub
12-10-2008, 05:58 AM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x303/cm07photos/__2F__2F__2Fuser_pics2F375x720_r-2.jpg

Rubbadub
12-10-2008, 05:59 AM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x303/cm07photos/__2F__2F__2Fuser_pics2F375x720_r-3.jpg

johnwzag
12-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Nice one Rub.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/188/story/406316.html

"The Cougars will certainly be competitive at home, but Gonzaga is clearly the better team and will win a tough road game. Offensive balance makes the Bulldogs a national powerhouse."

Coug LJ
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
It is easy to see why the Zags are favored in this game: they have the better backcourt, the better frontcourt and better depth. The only factors that could favor the Cougs are homecourt and, possibly, style of play.

Both Taylor Rochestie and Klay Thompson have been cold in the Cougs losses to Pitt and Baylor. That would have to change for the Cougs to win tonight. That's possible, as both are good shooters, but it is hard to bank on it.

The Cougs are in most games because the play very good defense and I don't expect that to change tonight. Baylor was a tough match up for the Cougs because they had a number of players that were extremely quick and could score off the dribble. In that respect, the Zags should be easier to defend. ...Of course, Daye and Heytfelt, could very well present problems for Baynes and Casto.

My hope is that the game is close and the Cougs can hit some tough shots down the stretch to pull off a victory. If the Zags are able to score, the game probably will not be that close. It also may not be close if Rochestie and Thompson continue to be cold.

The Cougs are a bit of an unknown this season, ...but they did not embarass themselves against to very good teams: Pitt and Baylor. Lots of new pieces and maybe tonight things come together. Not likely, but you have to hope that is the case.

johnwzag
12-10-2008, 02:44 PM
In that respect, the Zags should be easier to defend

I would not get your hopes up on that one. The zags have 6 players averaging DD points and they love to run whenever possible.

BobZag
12-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I predict

rennis
12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I predict

doomage?

BobZag
12-10-2008, 03:00 PM
doomage?

Oops, forgot to put my prediction in.

RenoZag
12-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I would say there's a 100% chance that I will make another cocktail at half-time. . .

And a 50% chance that I will have to ban some trolls before the end of the night.