PDA

View Full Version : Wazzu/Baylor - what the stats tell us

Zag365
12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
FTs are HUGE when playing at WSU. The two teams had virtually identical stats (FGs attempted/made, 3pt. %, steals, turnovers, etc.). But, Baylor went 21/25 vs. WSU with 12/19 from the stripe. A nine-point advantage that made the difference in the game.

We know Baylor went into the game with very high NCAA scoring ave. and put more points on the Cougars than any other team this year. But, they were outscored in the second half and were lucky that Rochestie's runner in the last minute didn't go in.

Seems to me this game was a preview of how this Wednesday's game is likely to go. I assume our defensive effort will continue (and we shut down Hamerling's 3s and some of Baynes rolls to the basket); but if our offense can't open up a double-digit lead going into the last 5 minutes, we will have to be clutch at the line.

GonzagaDynasty
12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
FTs are HUGE when playing at WSU. The two teams had virtually identical stats (FGs attempted/made, 3pt. %, steals, turnovers, etc.). But, Baylor went 21/25 vs. WSU with 12/19 from the stripe. A nine-point advantage that made the difference in the game.

We know Baylor went into the game with very high NCAA scoring ave. and put more points on the Cougars than any other team this year. But, they were outscored in the second half and were lucky that Rochestie's runner in the last minute didn't go in.

Seems to me this game was a preview of how this Wednesday's game is likely to go. I assume our defensive effort will continue (and we shut down Hamerling's 3s and some of Baynes rolls to the basket); but if our offense can't open up a double-digit lead going into the last 5 minutes, we will have to be clutch at the line.

We should win this game by 10. Theoretically, of course. WSU still has Defense, but their Offense is just plain GARBAGE. Thompson is the only legit scorer they have. Rochestie has proven that he is a terrible player when being pressured to be a scorer, Baines cant do anything against good defense, and Harmeling can ONLY make open Jump shots. Our defense should have NO problems.If we score 55 points, we should win easily.

gozags09
12-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I think a key will be to keep the Cougs to one and done...no second chance points. This could well be the game that we see Josh and Rob on the floor at the same time. Imagine the interior defensive force they would be, especially with Austin and Micah being able to get a hand in the face of their mid range shooters. Pargo, Bouldin, Gray and Meech can capably defend the perimeter.

I think that this will be another ugly W...but any W is a good W.

Vizagra
12-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Watch Josh this game.

He is 100% focused.

He wants this game.

I think we will see something special Wednesday night!

Zag365
12-08-2008, 08:31 AM
anyone know who will ref this game or what conference they are from?

in any event, we gotta played tough but under control because the home team is going to get the calls, esp. early

Angelo Roncalli
12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
anyone know who will ref this game or what conference they are from?

Most refs in the region work games for multiple conferences, including the WCC, Pac-10 and WAC. It's WSU's home game, so they arrange the referees. That said I'd bet that Dick Cartmell is the head of the crew and that either Randy Burkhart, Mark Reischling or Mike Peterson are part of it.

ZagNative
12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
According to BasketballState.com (http://www.bbstate.com/stats.php?sw=teamD), the Cougs are still the leaders on overall D, but I was interested to see these rankings for the Zags' D among 341 teams:

Points allowed #38
Points allowed per possession #8
Opp FG% #9
2 pt FG% #5
Turnovers forced/Game #11
Opp Turnovers PG #24
BPG #13
BTW, Pargo's #6 on assists nationally and #30 on A/TO. Austin's at #30 for BPG

zaguarxj
12-08-2008, 08:55 AM
According to BasketballState.com (http://www.bbstate.com/stats.php?sw=teamD), the Cougs are still the leaders on overall D, but I was interested to see these rankings for the Zags' D among 341 teams:

Points allowed #38
Points allowed per possession #8
Opp FG% #9
2 pt FG% #5
Turnovers forced/Game #11
Opp Turnovers PG #24
BPG #13

Pomeroy has WSU at #3 and Zags at #5. :)

Krobbins34
12-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Foster played well in this game last year and saw his most minutes to date.

Wonder if he will see a couple more minutes?

johnwzag
12-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Pomeroy has WSU at #3 and Zags at #5. :)

That sounds about right, but have you guys been watching the cougs? I still don't get how they do that magic they do. They seem so slow and clumsy to me.

GonzagaDynasty
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I agree 100% with you, johnwzag. I dont get it either. But they shouldnt be able to stop us, at least not enough to beat us.

GonzagaDynasty
12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I hope that Foster DOESNT see any playing time. He is terrible, and I cant believe he's still on the team.

finechina2003
12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
On my Microsoft Outlook I can set an auto delete rule based on the sender of the message. Can a Moderator set an auto delete rule for posts by GonzagaDynasty?

HillBillyZag
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Look GD, whomever you are?, What if Will Foster was your kid, working his butt off in practice, trying to improve himself, and just being a good teammate? I neg repped you for this post because I believe that these players are NOT wide open to ridicule and statements like
he is terrible and I can't believe he is still on this team. When you crosss the line from constructive criticism to cheap shots you do an injustice to yourself the University, and the players that wear its colors. For myself I don't want to read crap like that. You are the first poster I have ever put on ignore!

johnwzag
12-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I hope that Foster DOESNT see any playing time. He is terrible, and I cant believe he's still on the team.

We do not agree about this! Man, I cannot believe you posted that. You are going to get the rep bat here for that one. Foster is a beloved Zag by myself also. I am hoping he will get a lot of time in a lot of games.

johnwzag
12-08-2008, 11:13 AM
You are the first poster I have ever put on ignore!

I notice a few on the board like to use the ignore. I can understand that. I like to give it back personally. It can be over done sometimes - you will notice that about me and I can take it to when needed. I always think that people deserve a chance to get thumped on the head first to see if they will wake up a bit. Sometimes I need that too.