PDA

View Full Version : Brittany Gray - December 3 Kitsap Sun Story

ZagNative
12-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Hope this hasn't been posted already, but I didn't see it listed.

Painting the Island Gray (http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/dec/03/painting-the-island-gray/?partner=RSS)

By George Edgar
For The Kitsap Sun
Wednesday, December 3, 2008

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND

When Brittany Gray arrived at Bainbridge High School as a freshman, basketball coach Penny Gienger didn't know what kind of player she was getting.

"I knew she was good," the Spartans coach said. "That's all I knew. I saw her play in middle school."

Three years later, Gienger, as well as the rest of the state, know what kind of player she is.

She's not just the younger sister of Steven Gray, who led the Spartans to the finals of the Class 3A boys basketball tournament in 2007 and is now playing at Gonzaga University.

The Bainbridge senior is one of the top players in the state, averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds good enough for Metro League MVP last season as the Spartans advanced to the state tournament. She signed a letter of intent recently to join her brother at Gonzaga and figures to lead her Spartans back to state this year.
Gray is already the school's all-time leading rebounder with 835 heading into the season. She's averaged 10.7 per game over her career. The school record for career rebounding average is 10.9 by Kerry Keefe from 1975-1978.

She's also on the verge of overtaking Alice Russell as the school's all-time leading scorer. Gray is at 1,305 points, 24 behind Russell's 1,329. Russell played from 2001-2004 for the Spartans and went on to play for the University of San Diego.

When she's done at Bainbridge, Gray could be one of, if not the best, girls basketball player the Spartans, and all of West Sound, has ever seen.

"She could be one of the best coming out Bainbridge," Gienger says. "That's pretty much in high esteem."