PDA

View Full Version : Scout the Cougs tonight at 8:30 on FSN

BobZag
12-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Here's your chance to analyze the situation and matchups, etc.

john montana
12-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I wish...my wife would crush me if I tried to watch another game tonight!

Currently I'm sitting on the couch with the laptop while she watches Top Chef. I hope someone recaps that game.

UberZagFan
12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Texas Southern is on right now against the chickens. Feel free to scout them as well.

johnwzag
12-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Texas Southern is on right now against the chickens. Feel free to scout them as well.

chicken's? :confused:

I can only guess they do not belong in the same species as GU.

primal23
12-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Cougs looking good so far. Baynes needs to shave the "child molester" mustache. Either that or he is envious of Ammo's "stache"

JohnOGU
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I disagree. Not impressed at al w the Cougs. Their defense is nothing compared to last year.

primal23
12-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I disagree. Not impressed at al w the Cougs. Their defense is nothing compared to last year.

Its good enough IMHO to give us trouble enough to lose to the Cougs if we play like we did today.

billyberu
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Cougs going down in this one. Final 58 - 52.

primal23
12-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Was hoping cougs would win, now they have a chip on their shoulders. :confused:

Thomas_Sutpen
12-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Boy, that sucks. Caught looking ahead to the Zags?

This is going to be a tough game for us on Wed. Perhaps tougher than any game thus far. Baynes will be tough to handle on the inside. Gotta stay out of foul trouble. We'll likely need big Rob.

JohnOGU
12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
again, disagree. lol, i dont get it. what does it take for some of you to get off of WSU this year? Thereis absolutely no way you ca tell me they are as good as they were. either give our team more credit or recognize they arent as good.

MickMick
12-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Baylor guards were too much for them.

The Cougs are a decent team. Thompson is gonna be a good one. I'm not a big Baynes fan though. He is a decent garbage man and will probably get more rebounds than Ira or Micah. But he is a non-factor offensively.

Regardless of how bad the Zags looked today, I think they take this by double digits. Even in Pullman and even considering WSU's grinding style.

The Zags will not score more than 60 points in this one.

TuckC
12-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Baynes is a lazy Pritchard IMO. He gets in there, doesn't care about fouls or style and just bangs in there. I think the Cougars don't have the depth to play their style with GU.

CDC84
12-06-2008, 11:12 PM
The Cougs could be 0-6 and I would still be highly concerned about Wednesday's game in Pullman. Many other long time posters would as well. No matter if Wazzu is very good, very bad, or mediocre, the Zags have always had nightmares trying to pull out a win in that joint. There is just too much of a history to the contrary to suggest that the Zags are going to just waltz right in there and have a party. On top of all this, Bennett's crew has beaten GU two years in a row. It's something that they take great pride in, and they don't want the streak to end.

MDABE80
12-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Mick's correct about this upcoming game not being above 60 pts. WSU hasn't had 60 pts put on em yet this year and likely won't. Bennett has the best defensive strategy that I've seen anywhere. Those kids slow things because they have the talent to implement his strategy and make it work. Most were picked to do that...and that's why the scoring defense is best in the country.

So, while GU can win this one, it's a big game to them and should be to us.His defense eats up clock like crazy and isn't bothered by those who try to run. WSU's offense is always controlled and drains time while looking for the best shot in the last few second of that given clock cycle. Get down by 3 possessions and it's hard to find the lead again.

It's a big recruiting game for WSU. Maybe not so much for us.....and they really work hard for a win. It matters to them. We play like we did on Saturday with the same sluggish, bad shooting first half and it'll be tough to get a win. WSU's goal is to control the offensive and defensive clock. They're good at it too.I bet Few is telling the kids how they should play this one. I hope they listen or we'll get out of there less than satisfied. Don't believe it? Look at the past few years. We were favored going in.....

ZagLawGrad
12-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Let's all agree that the Cougs will be tough just like any team playing at home against an in-state rival, okay? Heck, the Zags have a big target on their back and are going to get every opponent's best shot because of their ranking.

But seriously folks, does any true Zag fan believe that the Cougs want to win this game more than the Zags do? I suggest that after 2 losses in 2 years to WSU---one of those in our House---GU will be prepared to play this game like it is the only game this year that matters. That does not bode well for WSU.

The facts are that the Cougs have failed each time they have played a team with any horsepower----Pitt and now Baylor on their home court. They are too young, inexperienced and lack the offensive firepower to beat the Zags. And frankly, their defense is not all that good.

I predict a double digit win over the Cougs. Not arrogance or overconfidence. But this is our year and we are the best program over the past 10 years in this state--the Cougs have had two good years, but they have a long ways to go to catch us (if they can). IMHO

thickman1
12-07-2008, 07:15 AM
WSU's defense is the the same as it always is - stifling. The problem is they have no reliable scoring. Taylor is struggling being the focus of the other team's top guard (no Weaver or Low to give him a break). Baynes still plays very mechanical in the blocks. Thompson is a nice looking kid who will be very good but right now he's very up and down in his game. He completely disappeared in the first half last night because of foul trouble. Koprivica is a non-factor. Harmeling is probably their best shooter but he won't beat you inside the arc so just stick someone on him at the 3-pt. line.

There is no way GU should lose on Wednesday.

johnwzag
12-07-2008, 09:56 AM
The Zags will not score more than 60 points in this one.

Probably not. Though, coming off a cold game, they just might get real hot. No matter the case, it will be ugly basketball again.

johnwzag
12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
WSU's defense is the the same as it always is - stifling. The problem is they have no reliable scoring.

I cannot find it within me to make any predictions this game except a win. They do not have anyone on their team in the caliber of Kyle Weaver with his quickness and speed. Banes is a garbage man, he will play good on D, but have a tough tme keeping up and may find himself in foul trouble a lot. I don't think we will be playing their game this time. They don't have the players to repeat last years perfomance.

johnwzag
12-07-2008, 11:24 AM
The conversation is aleady very ugly on espn game conversation. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/conversation?gameId=283450265

So sad. I really enjoyed reading OK State, Tennesse, Maryland, Indiana fan comments about the game and there thoughts. Even Uconn fan's give this Gonzaga team more respect then a non rated team just a few miles away in the same state.

gamagin
12-07-2008, 11:31 AM
we play their game, we can still win,but it will be a nailbiter and could be a loser. I say we play our game. We're better at our game than than they are theirs this year.

they did managed to dictate the clock vs. baylor, but couldn't convert. Rochestie, sadly, got all his bad shots out vs. baylor. Not good for us.

Go Zags !

JohnOGU
12-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Did we watch the same game? I saw absolutely nothing stifling about WSU's defense, whatsoever. We'll definitely be the best team that the Cougars have played, despite what rankings say. I dont see this game being a problem. Their losses highly outweigh their acquisitions over this last year. Ill say it, no way in hell they beat us.

MississppiZag
12-07-2008, 01:23 PM
There is a difference between running the clock and playing D. Wash St runs the clock to make up for there average offensive ability. They play pretty good defense, but of course teams are not going to score 70, when one team is forcing the other to shoot at most 1 shot a minute. Georgetown plays good D. They look to score as soon as possible, not purposely running the clock, and still hold people under 60 on a regular basis. This still does not change the way Wash St plays. They make it an ugly game to suit there personnel, it really works for there team. We need to get the best shot we can and just run our offense. They are plenty capable from taking this game from us.

vandalzag
12-07-2008, 01:48 PM
They could not get a couple of key stops, but they held Baylor to 40% from the field. Baylor easy baskets could be counted on one hand. Baylor won this on the line 21-25 from the line will result in a W for most teams. WSU defense was so good, the offense or lack there of was not a big factor. Like the post above mentioned they look like the team when Lowe was a soph. The will require a team to run the offense for the for the full 35, and if teams are not patient they will make you pay. If I am a WSU fan I am worried about Taylor, he looks like he is over his skis without Lowe and Weaver. They will not be winning many games if he is hoisting 15 plus shots a game, since their offense usually consists of one shot per trip down the floor.
That being said if the Zags go down and play a soft game and if the refs allow the cougs to be physical it could be a long night.

azzagfan
12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Road game, hostile environment, good defensive team...I don't want to get ahead of myself in this game. I hope the guys come out focused and fired up. Few only needs to show the last 2 games to hopefully do so.

Hoping Zags are ready and that we left the offensive struggles in Indianapolis.

johnwzag
12-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Did we watch the same game? I saw absolutely nothing stifling about WSU's defense, whatsoever. We'll definitely be the best team that the Cougars have played, despite what rankings say. I dont see this game being a problem. Their losses highly outweigh their acquisitions over this last year. Ill say it, no way in hell they beat us.

I don't know what it is this year JohnOGU. I saw nothing either. The numbers do show that they held Pitt to 57. I thought the cougs looked slow and clumsy. I saw the same thing with their ISU game. They have some kind of force, I do not know what it is. That is why I won't predict what will happen. Logically, I would say 87-43. My gut tells me, we won't score much more then 60, if that.

MickMick
12-08-2008, 04:56 AM
http://northwesternwins.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/top-ten-games-of-the-week-128-1214/

Two out of ten ain't bad

johnwzag
12-08-2008, 09:47 AM
http://northwesternwins.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/top-ten-games-of-the-week-128-1214/

Two out of ten ain't bad

This is the thing that scares me the most... "the Cougars may desperately need a quality win for their NCAA Tournament resume" I hope our guys want the win bad too. You know the cougars are going to think their life depends on it.

FrosTbear
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
The Zags will be in a basketball venue not a football field. We will be playing zag time not 10:30 am. And we have two years of bad memories. It is time to light up the score board. Show the world what #4 looks like... GU by 12

FrosTbear
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
The Zags will be in a basketball venue not a football field. We will be playing zag time not 10:30 am. And we have two years of bad memories. It is time to light up the score board. Show the world what #4 looks like... GU by 12

UberZagFan
12-08-2008, 01:39 PM

You can say that again!

JohnOGU
12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't know what it is this year JohnOGU. I saw nothing either. The numbers do show that they held Pitt to 57. I thought the cougs looked slow and clumsy. I saw the same thing with their ISU game. They have some kind of force, I do not know what it is. That is why I won't predict what will happen. Logically, I would say 87-43. My gut tells me, we won't score much more then 60, if that.

I'm a little shocked that Pitt didnt score more. The Baylor/WSU game was some of the worst basketball i've seen all year from both sides, by far. I feel Baylor could have scored more points if they didnt have stupid turnovers like they did. I think we'll be the first to expose them.

roxdoc
12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
If you like run and gun, fast paced BB then the Couger games are pretty ugly. If we get drawn into playing their game we will look ugly too.

MDABE80
12-08-2008, 11:17 PM
The Pitt game was bizarre for the Cougs. The even play in the first half abruptly ended when the refs decided to support the home team in the 2nd half. Whole tempo of the game was changed. WSU was called for the craziest things which weren't call on Pitt. Pretty bad. Baylor beat WSU with the guards. WSU has some nice returnees from last year but there's lots of frosh tryin to figure things out down there. Bench isn't deep either.

Our Zags should win this game of many levels and for many reasons. WSU's got a great team and great coach. Good talent. It's always a mess for us in Pullman...WSu is wounded with a huge crowd on their side. Zags overlook them and it'll be GU's 1st loss.