PDA

View Full Version : point guard in 2009-10

the_point
12-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey All
This is my first post so I am not sure if this topic has been discussed but I am concerned about who will be playing point guard for the zags in the 09-10 season. I know they have Goodson but I am not sure that he would be the answer and I also noticed on Rivals.Com that they have not been looking into recruiting any. I have two thoughts: perhaps Grant Gibbs could play the point with Bouldin at the two (provided he is healthy) or two Bouldin slides over to the point and Gray takes over at the two. All thoughts comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks and its good to be aboard. (Not too many Zag fans out here in the East)
The Point.

BroncoZAG615
12-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Elaborate on Goodson not being the answer at point please...

ZaggyStardust
12-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I know they have Goodson but I am not sure that he would be the answer

Are you freaking serious? Wow!

the_point
12-06-2008, 04:22 PM
i don't like goodson's size and he doesn't seem to have a touch from outside. don't get me wrong, i would love to goodson grow into his speed (seems like he plays out of control, too fast for his own good) and be able to drive and kick to shooters on the wing and baseline. i am open minded to give him a chance. just a cause for concern for concern for a school that has had santangelo, dickau, stepp, and pargo run the squad.

bigparb
12-06-2008, 04:23 PM
If you aren't comfortable with the idea of Meech at the point next year, I will have to ask if you've watched a single game this year...have you??

I'll let the rest of the board sing Meech's praises and elaborate on why he's going be great at the point over the next 3 yrs.....

MedZag
12-06-2008, 04:25 PM
PG recruits are notoriously hard to judge until they get thrown in the fire of D1 ball. That being said, Goodson has surpassed all my expectations for the year so far. I honestly did not expect to see him earning many minutes this year with Pargo back, but he's earned his keep with his tenacity, defense, quickness, and keeping TOs fairly under control for a rookie. I don't know how much we'll need him to have an outside shot with Matt and Steven next year, and he's already shown a knack for getting into the lane and keeping defenses honest.

I have no doubts about Meech. He IS our answer, by far. Our backcourt is in amazingly good hands with Demetri and Steven for the next couple years.

BroncoZAG615
12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I think you may be a TAD bit early in judging Demetri's touch from the outside and the rest of his game.

He's only taken 11 shots in a Gonzaga uniform.

This will be a great topic for discussion in May-July

MickMick
12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
The concern over Meech's outside shot is legit. Further, he is a freshman and perhaps he can look "out of control" at times.

Having said that, the Zags have a real winner in Meech. He is going to be a good one. A very, very good one.

Edit:

If Meech can effectively distribute to Arop and Kong, scoring will be the least of our worrys.

Reborn
12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I'll go easy on you, The_Point. But did you see Pargo play his Freshman year? Point guards are a work in progress at GU, and at least a two year project if not three really. Pargo is just beginning to develop into the point guard Few has wanted him to become. I think Goodson is ahead of where Jeremy was his Freshman year. I'm glad you are willing to give him a chance, becasue he will be good. He is contributing already believe me. Because of his talent (scoring isn't needed this year) Few is able to rest Jeremy. Jeremy is a more rested player this year and it shows, and it will show in March.

BobZag
12-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Meech
Gibbs
Bouldin

All ran the point in high school. And remember, 95% of the time the jump from a freshman to a sophomore is quite dynamic.

Reborn
12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Good point Bob. Few likes combo guards. Matt runs this team a lot. So far Pargo is getting most of the credit, but a closer look shows Matt running the offense as well. Matt is showing improving too. I thought he played a very solid game today. Yet, still making an occasional "dumb" turnover.

the_point
12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
its reassuring to see everyone so high on him. i love talking recruiting and lineups. its just good fun. of course, it is early on. i love the speculation. thanks guys. i'm retiring.

TM27
12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I'll go easy on you, The_Point. But did you see Pargo play his Freshman year?

Haha...I remember those days. What about Raivio as a freshman? Both were like "And 1 commercials. Both turned out to be solid. I totally agree with you regarding the "work in progress" and would even write that because of difficulty of offensive sets here at GU all players, freshman and transfers alike, at every position is a work in progress.

Goodson is ahead of both Raivio and Pargo, in terms of "getting it" when comparing up to game 6 of their respective freshman seasons. Neither freshman Pargo (or Frosh Raivio) handled the type of pressure we saw from the Terps / Vols like Goodson did. In terms of executing the offense, it was always noticeable when the starting PG went out.... today, not so sure.

I truly believe that Goodson is the steal of the entire 2008 recruiting class!

GoZags
12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Goodson has surpassed all my expectations for the year so far. .............
I have no doubts about Meech. He IS our answer, by far. Our backcourt is in amazingly good hands with Demetri and Steven for the next couple years.

Ditto.

johnwzag
12-06-2008, 05:12 PM
i don't like goodson's size and he doesn't seem to have a touch from outside. don't get me wrong, i would love to goodson grow into his speed (seems like he plays out of control, too fast for his own good) and be able to drive and kick to shooters on the wing and baseline. i am open minded to give him a chance. just a cause for concern for concern for a school that has had santangelo, dickau, stepp, and pargo run the squad.

The point. that is a good question you asked. You probably will get a lot of ".....What are you nuts?..." kinds of comments simply because you probably have not seen all the games we have. I think Goodson will be a point guard of Jeremy's caliber and timing. Actually maybe sooner. He is very quick, he plays very smart for a freshman and he will put on some weight. Just my thoughts.

john montana
12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Meech is a gem...he is an absolute pain on the defensive end of the floor and has great speed and athleticism. He's got a ways to go but has the tools. If he learns to shoot even as well as Pargo (which isn't great) he will be a handful for the next few years.

I love the kid...he is giving us solid minutes already, and he'll just keep getting better.

ZaggyZaggerson
12-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Meech will be the perfect guy to run this offense for the next 3 years with some relief from Bouldin and Gibbs.

zagfan24
12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Meech has going for him what the rest of our great PG's did - an awesome guy to learn from. I remember worrying about Raivio playing "out of control" when he would relieve Stepp for a few minutes in his freshman year. Same with Pargo. PG's have the most to learn -- and they do so at a much faster rate when they have a good model to follow. Meech will be just fine...

NorthWestZag
12-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a lot of worries about next years squad. One of them being our depth off the bench, especially with the bigs. Sacre will start and I am fine with that, but I am not a huge Foster fan and we will see with Poling. The fact that they slapped a redshirt on Poling without question concerns me a little too...

THAT being said, I am not worried about our PG next year. Meech has impressed me a lot and I am happy he will be our PG for the next three seasons.

GoZags
12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I have a lot of worries about next years squad. One of them being our depth off the bench, especially with the bigs. Sacre will start and I am fine with that, but I am not a huge Foster fan and we will see with Poling. The fact that they slapped a redshirt on Poling without question concerns me a little too...
THAT being said, I am not worried about our PG next year. Meech has impressed me a lot and I am happy he will be our PG for the next three seasons.

Out of curiosity, did you have a similar concern when Josh was redshirted his freshman year? Andy could be (like Josh was) one of the most talented freshmen in college basketball who are redshirting this season. He is the least of my worries.

Also -- you'll have to remember that the Zags could get some help (for next season) in the April signing period.

And congrats on hitting triple figures in your post total.

NorthWestZag
12-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Out of curiosity, did you have a similar concern when Josh was redshirted his freshman year? Andy could be (like Josh was) one of the most talented freshmen in college basketball who are redshirting this season. He is the least of my worries.

Also -- you'll have to remember that the Zags could get some help (for next season) in the April signing period.

Point well taken. But that team did have Batista and Turiaf. I guess it is more of the unknown factor because I have not seen Poling play a d-1 game and next year we might be asking for significant minutes out of him.

And yes, I am hoping we can land a few bigs in the signing period. I am still a little worried about out depth off the bench next year.

But the point of the thread is that I think Meech is great and will make a great PG.

calizag
12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I haven't paid enough attention to Meech's outside shooting but he could spend an entire summer shooting and developing that part of his game.
What is harder to teach is his dribbling and speed, which are both superb for a freshman...
...I would put him at point next year because i like Bouldin as the alternate point guard and it definitely opens up his shot and adds another dynamic to the offense.

Shanachie
12-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I just started to type a post about how I think we'll be more than solid at point next year.

Then I thought, why in the world am I participating in a "next year" thread on December 6, with the Zags undefeated, ranked #5, and with probably their most talent ever?

Why worry about next year? This year is too much fun to do that. Enjoy the present.

Tmac5360
12-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I agree that maybe we should just enjoy this year. But that being said, Meech is awesome period!! I agree with what Bob said in that if you look at Ravio, pargo, bouldin all of them got so much better from the 1st year to the 2nd. I can't wait to see what Meech will do. And with regard to his outside shot, he is not at GU to shoot.

TuckC
12-06-2008, 10:14 PM
And to think I've been thanking my lucky stars that we'll see 3 more years of this scrappiness!:D

D Hark 2003
12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I dont see how anyone can be thinking about next year. Sit back and enjoy the ride of this years extremely talented team! I just cant believe it, next year... How about we win the championship then worry about next year.

Nevtelen
12-07-2008, 12:17 AM

After I saw Poling playing in the blue-white and the exhibition, I'm not worried about him. As long as he puts on weight and practices hard against Josh and Rob this season, he'll be great next year. He's got some great post moves and a nice touch inside. It was D-II talent, yes, but skill is skill no matter who it's displayed against. The defensive end will be him biggest problem, IMO.

Anyway, back to this season! Topics like this should be reserved for the long drought of the off-season.