PDA

View Full Version : Few knew what he was doing.

titopoet
12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Last week there was criticism of Few for not going all out and totally blowing out Idaho. They seem to stop playing after halftime and Idaho even out scored GU in the 2nd half. Some defended Few by saying that he pulled back and didn't want to really humiliate the Vandals. It was not out of altruism, though. I think we just saw the fruit of what Few did in the second half Idaho game in Orlando. The Zags went into a Zone and Idaho quickly revealed the holes in it, (lack of communication, bad spacing) that only another team can reveal. (You can get to use to your own teammates and play off those who you know can't hit the outside shot) By playing the zone against Idaho, they were able to fill the holes in the zone defense, and use it against Ok State, Maryland, and especially against the Vols. Look for Few to continue to use blowouts games as practice and not ego trip of points.

Titopoet

CanadianZagFan
12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Nice take!

I agree with not having to blow teams out and using comfortable leads to work and improve on things. It is a good time to tweak some lineups and see how implementing practiced schemes work in real time.

HillBillyZag
12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Good Point & well stated. Everything that Mark Few does has a purpose.

BoZarth
12-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Who has a better idea what's right for the team. Mark Few or some blogger on this site? Geesh.

I enjoy the links provided by the members - stories on the players - recruiting news. If I see one more thread on how we need to improve our free throw shooting . . . .

Go Zags!!!!

MedZag
12-04-2008, 06:36 PM
If I see one more thread on how we need to improve our free throw shooting . . . .

Of course the coaches and the players both know that's very much needed.

But it still gets me. For some reason, nothing really pushes my buttons like missing free throws. You can do bone headed turnovers, air balls, whatever, but missing free throws gets me riled up.

zag67
12-04-2008, 06:42 PM
And MedZag, it probably gets them even more. They are not missing on purpose and I think that if you saw them practice for the last year, you would find that they have all practice them very hard. So I guess all of us may scream, but they are also. Pressure does that to all players at some time.

FrosTbear
12-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Pressure does that to all players at some time.

A Zen master when ask how do I shoot a free throw said. Take cleansing breath and see the ball go into the net. Will I make it then ask the student
the Zen master only said "We will see if you are relaxed or not" If you are then the answer is YES. If you miss begin learning Tai Chi.

MedZag
12-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Agreed, which is why I keep my frustrations off the board. But my TV feels my full wrath :D

IrishZagFan
12-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Kind of like this, MedZag?

http://www.freewebs.com/muttsdrool/brokenTV.gif