PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought but....

mendiant
03-14-2007, 05:07 PM
GU’s 1999 Elite 8 run vs this year’s team:

99 - w/ no shot at an at-large bid, GU wins the WCC tourney and gets an automatic bid to the Big Dance
07 - w/ no shot at an at-large bid, GU wins the WCC tourney and gets an automatic bid to the Big Dance

99 - GU #10 seed in West Bracket vs #7 Big 10 team w/ cheating coach
07 - GU #10 seed in West Bracket vs #7 Big 10 team w/ cheating coach

99 - 2nd round opponent was #2 seed PAC-10 team that made Final 4 previous year
07 - (potential) 2nd round opponent is #2 seed PAC-10 team that made Final 4 previous year

99 - in GU’s half of West bracket, ACC power (UNC) goes down to underdog (Weber St) lead by a one man show (Harold "The Show" Arceneaux)
07 - in GU’s half of the West bracket, ACC power (Duke) (potentially) goes down to underdog (VCU) lead by a one man show (Eric Maynor)

99 - also in GU’s half of the West bracket, a rising east coast hoops power (Florida) led by a young coach takes advantage of the ACC power’s loss and reaches the Sweet 16
07 - also in GU’s half of the West bracket, (potentially) a rising east coast hoops power (Pitt) led by a young coach takes advantage of the ACC power’s loss and reaches the Sweet 16

99 - Weber St plays in the same bldg as GU on the first weekend
07 - Weber St plays in the same bldg as GU on the first weekend

99 - Fans of a WA PAC-10 team (UW) help cheer GU during the first weekend
07 - Fans of a WA PAC-10 team (WSU) (potentially) help cheer GU during the first weekend

99 - GU beats the BIG 10 team w/ a cheating coach, beats the PAC-10 that made the previous Final 4, and beats the rising east coast power all before losing a close game to the eventual Champs
07 - ???????

It would take a lot for every "potential" 07 item to match the 99 version identically, but you never know...

tobizag
03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
very interesting...thank you for finding all of those similarities, mendiant.

here's hoping we face Kansas in the Elite 8...but first, let's beat IU!

Zaglaw
03-14-2007, 05:47 PM
The similarities are spooky!

Thanks, Mendiant

lawzag
03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
awesome research mendiant...
lets home for some dejavu....

ZaggyStardust
03-14-2007, 07:33 PM
awesome research mendiant...
lets home for some dejavu....[/I]

I agree! Awesome research. Thanks for your hard work... :agreed: :clap:

And I believe lawzag meant "hope".... March Madness cocktails I presume....

gamagin
03-14-2007, 07:38 PM
I agree. All the ingredients are there.

The NCAA's are a series of one-game tournaments.

We can beat anyone once. We've never caved in nor rolled over in the face of any awsome, overpowering presence. We have been there at the end.

Anything can happen.

We've proven it over and over.

This year is no exception. It is a rule.

Zags (can) rule !