PDA

View Full Version : Can we beat North Carolina?

ZagManFan
12-04-2008, 08:08 AM
As impressed as I have been with the Zags this year, I was even more impressed with North Carolina last night against Michigan State. The overall team speed and the pace they play at is hard for any team to play against.

So I ask you, do you think we can beat the Heels on a neutral court?

krozman
12-04-2008, 08:23 AM
The only reason North carolina looks so good is because Michigan State's ranking is inflated. I think Gonzaga has just a good a chance or better as anyone though.

bartruff1
12-04-2008, 08:27 AM
If we play like we did against Tenn and shoot 52% and only have 14 turnovers ....and rebound a bit...

johnwzag
12-04-2008, 08:27 AM
I want to see them play Duke before I can answer that question. We were beat by Duke, but that was a different Gonzaga team. I think we can beat duke - like we beat Tennessee (not today so much as down the road after we get some more experience and all the peices are well oiled). If Duke can hang in there against UNC then I think we have a chance. If it is a blow out, the answer will be no.

I am not impressed at all with Michigan State and I do not think that one guy coming back into the line up after he is recovered can launch them back into the top 10.

kyle dixon
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I do not know about other people on this board, but I just want to beat Indiana first on a neutral court.

GoZags
12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I do not know about other people on this board, but I just want to beat Indiana first on a neutral court.

Bingo.

sdzag
12-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Probably not but anyone can beat anyone on a given night. I mean remember Wyoming!

john montana
12-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I think we can beat them, but I don't see how we would be favored to beat them. Frankly, if UNC does not win the National Title with this team I'd be pretty surprised. They are loaded at every position. UNC usually does something stupid though, but at this point they seem to be playing defense, and offensively they are flat out great.

I think we would have a great shot against them, a better chance than most teams. Of course I'd expect TH to shoot 20 free throws against us and Josh to be fouled out in the first 5 minutes...refs just love to put that guy on the free throw line.

NotoriousZ
12-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Turns out that playing Maryland rather than Michigan State may actually be better for our RPI rankings (or have little affect in the other direction). Props to all of you who said that Mich. St. was over rated. We could still get to thump them in the tourney...I'm thinking a 1 vs. 9 seed.

BobZag
12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Beat Indiana!

As for UNC, this is college hoops. Zags could upset the Heels. I wouldn't bet on it, but sure, it's possible.

Beat Indiana!

cjm720
12-04-2008, 09:02 AM
UNC is waaaaaay better than any team in the nation. Inside, outside, scoring, rebounding, quicks, depth, etc. That said, I would have a hard time believing our Zags wouldn't hang with them.

GO ZAGS!!!!!

Gonzdb8
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
The only reason North carolina looks so good is because Michigan State's ranking is inflated. I think Gonzaga has just a good a chance or better as anyone though.

msu might be overrated, but thats certainly not the "only reason" UNC looked so good. bottom line is they're the best team in the country which is why the look so good. can we beat them, i hope so. i certainly think we can run with them. point is they don't need to play an overrated team to look really good...because they really are that good.

gu03alum
12-04-2008, 09:08 AM
North Carolina is the best team by far. They would beat us 9 out of 10 times on a neutral court.

Dickau43
12-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Probably not but anyone can beat anyone on a given night. I mean remember Wyoming!

Whyyy would you ever bring that up. Are you trying to make me cry?

CDC84
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
All I will say is this:

Unless you have an elite man defense like UConn does, with a guy like Thabeet in the middle, you are likely going to need to zone UNC like the Zags did a couple of years ago. You have to limit Hansborough's touches, limit their transition opportunities, and make them into a jumpshooting team, which is not what they want or excel at, despite the fact that guys like Lawson and Green can't miss from 3 point land right now. On the offensive end, you have to take good shots, make them work on defense along the perimeter, and not commit silly turnovers that fuel their transition game. You also need to have offensive weapons to be able to score.

At some point the Heels are going to face a team who can do all of this, and it will be interesting to see how they respond. I still maintain that North Carolina is not a team that's incapable of being beaten. They are just the hardest team to beat, and a team that most teams will want to avoid for as long as possible.

McZag
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Beat Indiana
Beat WSU
Beat Arizona
Beat UCONN
Beat Tennessee
Beat Memphis
Win the WCC
Win the WCC Tourney
Win 4 games between March 15-31

Don't talk about UNC until we've done all this. We will not see UNC until the FF in Detroit and then anything is possible.

SLOZag
12-04-2008, 10:47 AM
... unless UNC avoids an upset during March Madness before we get to them.

:D

FuManShoes
12-04-2008, 10:56 AM
The Zags fared pretty well the last time they faced a supremely talented Tarheel team. (Sorry, needed an excuse to repost some of my favorie clips).

Heytvelt dominated Hansborough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE

Pargo schooled Lawson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoY3Pb14xQU&NR=1

ZagMan in Philly
12-04-2008, 11:08 AM
The Zags fared pretty well the last time they faced a supremely talented Tarheel team. (Sorry, needed an excuse to repost some of my favorie clips).

Heytvelt dominated Hansborough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE

Pargo schooled Lawson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoY3Pb14xQU&NR=1

The question should be:
Can N.C. beat us? ;)

Just A Zag
12-04-2008, 11:11 AM
The answer is no

LongIslandZagFan
12-04-2008, 11:29 AM
On any given night... yes. In 10 games, I'd say we lose at least 7 or 8 of them.

Gonzdb8
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Beat Indiana
Beat WSU
Beat Arizona
Beat UCONN
Beat Tennessee
Beat Memphis
Win the WCC
Win the WCC Tourney
Win 4 games between March 15-31

Don't talk about UNC until we've done all this. We will not see UNC until the FF in Detroit and then anything is possible.

why? why can't speculate on how we stack up against other national competition until we finish our schedule? fortunately i dont think anyone was planning on calling a team meeting to tell them what the GU boards think of our chances against UNC so i'm not sure why this is distracting to any of the relevant parties. nothing wrong with an early season discussion of how we stack up against one of the better college basketball teams in recent memory. let folks talk.

UberZagFan
12-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Same here. And like was stated above, this is a question better suited for March not December as Uber doesn't see UNC on GU's schedule this year.

This sounds much like asking in Dec 05 whether GU could have beat Duke (the #1 team most of that season) when in fact it was unable to get by UCLA in Mar 06. And not that being able to beat Duke would have matter as GU's path if it got past UCLA would have been through Memphis, LSU and then Florida.

With that said, YES GU could beat UNC. :D

UberZagFan
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Bill Swerski: Good afternoon, my friends, and welcome to "Bill Swerski's Super Fans"! I'm Bill Swerski, and with me, as always, are the Super Fans. Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Zags were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game?

Carl Wollarski: Against Da Tar Heels?

Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap.

Carl Wollarski: Zags 78, Tar Heels 66. And that would finally be a good game.

Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Zags 84, Tar Heels 74.

Todd O'Conner: What about Few? Would he be mini, too?

Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown.

Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Zags 91, Tar Heels 37.

Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Few.

Bill Swerski: Okay, gentlemen, another scenario: Da Zags, they don't make it, the plane is delayed, and the only one who shows up is Few. Few vs. Da Tar Heels. Okay, score, gentlemen.

Pat Arnold: Alright, after da heart attack, I gotta say Few 67, Giants 64. He just barely gets by.

Bill Swerski: Alright, that sounds exciting. Perhaps, you know, a late Few 3pt field goal.

75Zag
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
With threads like this it is obviously time for some actual basketball.

If you want to concoct fantasy matchups, could the Bulldogs beat the 1968 UCLA Bruins, a team which (I believe) is generally accepted as the greatest college basketball team ever?

UberZagFan
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
With threads like this it is obviously time for some actual basketball.

If you want to concoct fantasy matchups, could the Bulldogs beat the 1968 UCLA Bruins, a team which (I believe) is generally accepted as the greatest college basketball team ever?

Would it be the regular size Zags or the mini-Zags?

john montana
12-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Someone Neg repped me for suggesting that TH gets the benefit of some ticky tack calls. I like the guy, he plays hard but if you breathe on that guy he shoots free throw. I was laughing watching the MSU big men last night...they'd stand there with arms straight up and TH would launch himself into them and shoot some awkward looking shot (which usually goes in...the guy can play) for an immediate whistle and trip to the line. The look on the MSU guy's face was classic...they hadn't played against him before and didn't realize that if you touch TH, its a foul.

UNC should walk through this season undefeated, but I think someone will get them. UNC should crush duke, but i bet duke gets them at least once (that rivalry throws all sane matchup discussion out the window...always has).

I would love to play them. Like UCONN, we match up with them fairly well. Better than most that is for sure.

FuManShoes
12-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Sometimes I forget how important it is to the Zags that I not look too far ahead or wistfully dream about a matchup with a team that's not on our, er, their schedule. Thanks for the reminder. I certainly don't want to contribute to a letdown, and if that means taking it one game at a time and not looking at the rankings or reading press clippings, then so be it. Sorrry, Coach Few, I won't put myself before team ever again!

... Ira and Rob, get over here and shag rebounds with me! We have a game coming up!

sittingon50
12-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Since it's the '68 Bruins, Alcindor & his friends wouldn't be allowed to dunk, right?

kyle dixon
12-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Also freshman were not eligible in '68. Had to play with the freshman team. Throw out Goodson from the equation....

Dixon

willandi
12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Someone Neg repped me for suggesting that TH gets the benefit of some ticky tack calls. I like the guy, he plays hard but if you breathe on that guy he shoots free throw. I was laughing watching the MSU big men last night...they'd stand there with arms straight up and TH would launch himself into them and shoot some awkward looking shot (which usually goes in...the guy can play) for an immediate whistle and trip to the line. The look on the MSU guy's face was classic...they hadn't played against him before and didn't realize that if you touch TH, its a foul.

UNC should walk through this season undefeated, but I think someone will get them. UNC should crush duke, but i bet duke gets them at least once (that rivalry throws all sane matchup discussion out the window...always has).

I would love to play them. Like UCONN, we match up with them fairly well. Better than most that is for sure.

I didn't watch the whole game, but I too saw TH get the benefit of several calls. Offensive and defensive. If the game were called straight up, I think we have a real good chance of taking the heels, 50/50. Of course if the game is played in Carolina with east coast officiating it could be a hard row to hoe for the Zags.
Will

ZagNative
12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
We're #1, with North Carolina behind us in basketballstate.com (http://www.bbstate.com/schools/GONZ)'s rating system, including efficiency ratings, location of play, etc.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Recruits/2008-12-05-08BasketballStateratings.jpg

The link to the stats page is here (http://www.bbstate.com/standings.php?a=thestate), but since this part of the site is subscription only ($21.95 a year), you might not be able to access it.

The description of their methodology is here (http://www.bbstate.com/info/aboutratings).

McZag
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
let folks talk.

Who's keeping you from talking? Talk it up. Let's just find something worth talking about, like what we are going to do to Indiana on Sat. Peace.

BobZag
12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
From today's chat on ESPN.com--

Matt (Louisville,ky): Besides UNC, Who has impressed u=you the most?

Kyle Whelliston: I prefer Gonzaga with its speed and defense, but that's just me. Shame they won't play eachother in the regular season.

MickMick
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Didn't Pargo, Bouldin, and Heytvelt beat Lawson, Ellington, and Hansbrough two years ago?

Of course they can beat UNC.

They can beat any team in division 1.

A better question should be: Can they win six progressively tougher games in a row? They proved they can do three in Orlando.

MickMick
12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
We're #1, with North Carolina behind us in basketballstate.com (http://www.bbstate.com/schools/GONZ)'s rating system, including efficiency ratings, location of play, etc.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Recruits/2008-12-05-08BasketballStateratings.jpg

The link to the stats page is here (http://www.bbstate.com/standings.php?a=thestate), but since this part of the site is subscription only ($21.95 a year), you might not be able to access it.

The description of their methodology is here (http://www.bbstate.com/info/aboutratings).

People need to take a close look at where Utah is sitting on that list.

rawkmandale
12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
NC is dead - foget about them - no Spirit, no Life:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/394604.html

calizag
12-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't think that we can beat UNC but right now i'm not really sure who can...Lawson is fantastic and Hansborough will be back to normal soon and i think that it is very probable that they do not lose a game all season..

ToreroStudent
12-06-2008, 12:11 AM
North Carolina won't lose a game this year. It's just not happening. You guys are good, don't get me wrong, but North Carolina could beat some pro teams right now in my opinion.

ZagMan in Philly
12-06-2008, 04:20 AM
This UNC team is somewhat similar to the 1991 UNLV team. Everyone thought they were going to win it all. Well...they didn't.

1991 Final 4 - UNLV versus Duke

How could a Duke Blue Devils team winning ever be considered an upset you say? And this Duke team was coached by Mike Krzyzewski, and led by Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley.

And they scored one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history?

That's how dominating the UNLV Runnin' Rebels were in 1991. After all, UNLV returned its top four players from the '90 squad that beat Duke by 30 points. Coupled with the embarrassing loss in the '90 finals, no one gave Duke a chance against the spectacular Rebels

The original fab four of Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Anderson Hunt and Greg Anthony already had their place in history but they wanted more. The talk of the '91 season was where the Rebels ranked all-time. Were they the most talented team ever assembled?

Jerry Tarkanian's club rolled through an undefeated regular season, where margin of victory was the only question each game. Once the tournament started, the games didn't get much tougher as they won all but one of their first four games by double figures.

Duke's unbelievable upset propelled them into the national finals against Kansas. The Devils were somewhat flat but defeated the Jayhawks to win the national title. After all, this was their year.

MickMick
12-06-2008, 05:41 AM
North Carolina won't lose a game this year. It's just not happening. You guys are good, don't get me wrong, but North Carolina could beat some pro teams right now in my opinion.

I would wager against this.

UNC is not better than any NBA team. UNC will not go undefeated.
That is the truth.

surfmonkey89
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
No

MDABE80
12-31-2008, 06:20 PM
NO..only in getting to a bar or something...but not in basketball

RenoZag
12-31-2008, 06:31 PM
OK, Abe, you get the last [ bold typeface ] words on this OBE thread. . .

OBE = Overcome By Events