PDA

View Full Version : We're down a mohawk

FuManShoes
12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Heytvelt’s mohawk is gone, replaced by a buzz cut. “It’s a good, clean-cut look instead of the crazy look,” he said, chuckling. “He (Few) kind of suggested it and you kind of do what the man tells you, you know.”

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8840#more

All kidding aside, that mohawk could have cost Josh a lot of money if it re-enforced the idea among NBA execs that he's some sort of a bad apple. He's playing and behaving like an All-American, so maybe Old Man Few suggested he look the part. Pargo's mohawk doesn't bring with it the baggage that Josh's did. Probably a good move all around.

And props to Pargo for supporting his grieving friend the best way he knew how.

zagco
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Zagco's favorite basketball hairdo has always been the Fade.

ZagNative
12-03-2008, 09:30 PM
This is what caught my eye from Meehan's linked blog:
Gonzaga senior guard Micah Downs can’t explain it, but his statistics seem to.

Downs is more comfortable starting games than coming off the bench. He has regained a starting position that he held for the first part of last season before Steven Gray cracked the first unit.

Downs’ numbers have never been better: 12.8 points, 5.6 rebounds.

“For me it is easier (starting),” Downs said. “I don’t know, it’s probably just a mental thing. I feel more confidence when I start the game, it’s something I’ve always felt more comfortable doing. We have 6-7 guys that could easily start for us or any other team.”

Downs began the 2007-08 season as a starter, but came off the bench late in the non-conference portion of the schedule and throughout the WCC slate. He started 12 of the first 13 games and averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds. He finished the year at 7.9 and 3.7, respectively. Downs didn’t start in 17 appearances in 2006-07 when he averaged 8.1 points and 3.7 rebounds.

“Sometimes it was hard” as a non-starter, he said. “I started to get used to it, but I prefer how it is (now).”

Gray has said he doesn’t mind his role, which is typically as the first sub to enter the game. After a 19-point outburst against Tennessee, Gray is averaging 10.6 points. He averaged 8.1 points last season.It's going to be interesting to see what Micah's numbers do, especially if he continues to start. I thought the appearance of confidence really was noticeable.

He also looks like he's done some serious work on his body, looking a lot more powerful and less "whispy." 17 points and 13 rebounds in the OK State game, shown below in the second half of that game.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Downs/2008-11-27MicahDownsOKState1-1.jpg

I'm sure looking for big things and good times for Micah this year! I like the feisty Micah!

MedZag
12-03-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8840#more

That Meehan blog is about as chock full of great info as I've ever seen one of his entries.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Zagco's favorite basketball hairdo has always been the Fade.

zagco, I agree wholeheartedly, but a high top fade would be the cherry on the pie. Ala Kid from the infamous house party movies. High and tight

gamagin
12-04-2008, 07:26 AM
JH is now 1/2 inch shorter.

GU69
12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
“He (Few) kind of suggested it and you kind of do what the man tells you, you know"

I am getting to like Heytvelt more all the time. He is a different person than a couple years ago.

Zag 77
12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I am not saying all mohawks are ugly, but there is a certain science about hair styles: symmetry, color, head shape, etc. I don't figure Josh for a metrosexual, so he probably will go with a buzz.

Boy, its a slow day.......

Zagalicious
12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Watching you tube highlites of Josh 06....wow...good to see him back

UberZagFan
12-04-2008, 01:30 PM
“He (Few) kind of suggested it and you kind of do what the man tells you, you know.”

DWTM!

FrosTbear
12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I am not saying all mohawks are ugly, but there is a certain science about hair styles: symmetry, color, head shape, etc.

I think my great-great - great grandfather from the Wyandot tribe were the first Native American tribe to wear the hairstyle and they never saw the style ugly it was to protect their self in battle against the whites who would take scalps to show their power.

jim77
12-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Good to see the mohawk go....the "strip" was much to wide anyway. I like the buzz much better.....tell Pargo to cut his too. I do believe in the Fro though.