03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
#1 Under the Radar Name to Watch

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6566738

TuckC
03-14-2007, 03:39 PM
wow.

Zag79
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
interesting he would include him in this list but bring up only the TO from last year and his fts. none the less, very cool to be listed at all!

LA Zag
03-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Interesting only from perhaps the average East Coast fan's exposure perspective. But Raivio is a high priority target on the radar of every team we face.

Zag79
03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
very true...

CDC84
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
12) Eric Maynor, VCU: Arguably the biggest star of conference tournament week, Maynor will look to continue his heroic play in the month of March versus Duke on Thursday evening. If you haven't caught the last few sequences of VCU's miraculous comeback victory over George Mason in the CAA tournament finals yet, give it a watch here. Yep, that's nine points, two steals, and two rebounds in the final minute to win a conference championship. He'll need to put together that kind of performance — and maybe even a little bit more — to get past the Blue Devils. No one's doubting he can.

High level player. Could play and receive minutes on any team in the country: Ohio State, Florida, you name it. Probably one of the 5 best perimeter defenders in the entire tournament, and he can do other things as well. The recruiting analysts blew it on this kid.......and he's only a sophomore. Future NBA'er......

lothar98zag
03-14-2007, 04:18 PM
The people that really know about DR are opposing coaches (unfortunately, I'm sure this list includes KS @ IU) and opposing fans that have seen what he can do.

For example - this was posted by a USF fan on a different board a few hours before GU beat SCU to win the WCC tourney. Note the comments about Raivio.

...One thing I noticed from seeing a lot of WCC basketball this weekend in such a short timespan: the Zags have a fifth gear that other WCC teams just don't have. Watching the two games yesterday just made the whole Raivio/Dennison co-POY seem all the more ridiculous. Having Raivio is like having Mariano Rivera as your closer. Dude does not miss free throws pretty much ever. This makes it extremely difficult to close on the Zags if you go into the last two minutes trailing, and puts an extra amount of desperation on teams because of his excellence at the stripe. It's like teams facing the Yankees trying desperate things in the 8th inning because they know Rivera will shut them down. The rim is no Luis Gonzalez.

But what do I think will happen? ... It will be a battle, but I like the Zags winning by 7-8 after stretching out a tight one on the back of Derek Raivio's masterful (there, I said it) skill on the line...

Let's hope DR gets the chance to show the nation how good he is at doing what he does!

mendiant
03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
It seems the people who under-estimate Derek the most are our own dear fans. (MYSELF EXCLUDED).

Coach K knew who he needed to stop!

Is Derek NBA worthy? You bet your sweet tush he is!!!

cielmike
03-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Guess who's #1?

Link:

Which names should you be aware of this year? Here are 16 people you might not be familiar with that are worth keeping an eye on during the 2007 NCAA Tournament:

1) Derek Raivio, Gonzaga: Raivio committed a key turnover in the final seconds of last season's epic Sweet 16 loss against UCLA. The lasting image from that loss is a distraught Adam Morrison in a sea of tears. Raivio, however, lives with that turnover every day. As the leader of this year's Gonzaga team one that's seen player arrests and rare regular season trouble in the WCC Raivio will try to avenge the ghosts of last year. Having missed only six shots from the line all season, the nation's best free-throw shooter (95 percent) will try to do what Tee Martin did for the Tennessee Volunteer football team in 1999 win the big one the year after the star left the building.

I don't recall it being DRav's turnover. Thought Morrison passed the ball in back court to JP who had it taken away/stolen/pass intercepted, which gave UCLA the easy two pointer to go ahead...ARRRRRRRG forget the past, focus on IU, tomorrow is the only game that counts.

None the less, great to see DRav's name at the top of the list. He deserves all the adulation he gets. Hopefully, by the time the NCAA tournament ends, DRav won't be categorized as someone flying under the radar.

Go Zags!

tyra
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Sadly, it was JP who had the ball stripped from behind. And alas, DRav was standing open just a few feet away. The memory is burned in my brain.

SteeleMan
03-14-2007, 06:30 PM
better than 95% from the charity line as well.

just love all this "reporting" at this time of year.

gozagswoohoo
03-14-2007, 06:43 PM
They are talking about the possession right after that one. Ammo passes to JP, JP gets stripped, UCLA hits a bucket...then, we pass it in to Drav and he dribbles into 3 UCLA defenders and gets tripped up and loses the ball...that was the nail in the coffin.

VinnyZag
03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
They are talking about the possession right after that one. Ammo passes to JP, JP gets stripped, UCLA hits a bucket...then, we pass it in to Drav and he dribbles into 3 UCLA defenders and gets tripped up and loses the ball...that was the nail in the coffin.

... and Morrison was wide open about three feet from him.
Now stop it, dammit. I don't want to re-live that game again.

former1dog
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Raivio was fouled on that play!!

Wouldn't it be poetic justic IF we play UCLA and IF Derek wins the game after being fouled in the open court (again.) !

Wolkster
03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
>I don't recall it being DRav's turnover.

He's talking about the one where Farmar picks his pocket at midcourt with about 3 minutes to go with GU up by 7 or 9.

sonuvazag
03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Raivio was fouled on that play!!

Wouldn't it be poetic justic IF we play UCLA and IF Derek wins the game after being fouled in the open court (again.) !

That's was my exact thought when I saw the pairings. God, I hope we don't overlook IU.

SWZag
03-15-2007, 09:12 AM
#9 is the one that caught my eye.... :D

9) Grace from Accounting: Sure, she has blue hair and a dish of peppermint mints on her desk, but that doesn't mean she's not a sly one when it comes to filling out a bracket. Grace from Accounting almost always ends up winning the office NCAA Tournament pool. Whether she's picking teams based on the mascot names or their colors, she always does the job well. Keep an eye on her come March, when she magically has the four Final Four teams accurately selected, and then shrugs in disbelief when you greet her at the water cooler.

kitzbuel
03-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't recall it being DRav's turnover.
Makes a better story that way.