• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Manny Arop Article

Arop attends St. Mary’s Secondary School and is a top prospect with Canada Basketball’s National Elite Development Academy
    training program. Last week, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard signed a letter of intent to play basketball for Gonzaga.

“I’m happy about it,” Arop said. “I made the right decision about what school I want to go to. It’s close to home ... Edmonton is only
    going to be a 12-hour drive away.”

Arop is in his second year with the
    McMaster University-based NEDA program. He’s also a member of the Canadian National Junior Team that’s scheduled to play July 2-12 in Auckland, N.Z., at the FIBA U19 worlds.

Last summer at competitions in Germany and Argentina, Arop burst onto the scene with some spectacular play. He averaged 17 points and 10.2 rebounds during Canada’s five starts in Formosa, Argentina.

“Manny is an athletic and explosive
    basketball player on the court,” said Greg Francis, who coaches both the NEDA and
    national junior teams. “In the last few years, he has developed a solid understanding of the game. He has really improved his passing, shooting and ball handling.”

Joe Raso, the head coach at McMaster and a teacher at St. Mary’s, accompanied the NEDA team to the tournament in Germany, where Arop led all players in rebounding (11.3 per game) and scored an average of 20.5 points.

Said Raso: “Manny is definitely a scorer, but what makes him stand out from a lot of other kids who score is that he has the ability to lock down people defensively on the ball. And he is a tenacious offensive rebounder. No question, in that tournament, he was one of the top five players.”
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • CanadianZagFan
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Jul 2008

When I had the chance to watch him play this past summer I was impressed, but slightly worried about his lack of effort during the games I saw. The more I hear about him the more those worries are leaving.

Manny was playing against players 3-4 years older and was clearly the best player on the floor. I think he will be able to play significant minutes as a freshman for the Zags, his international experience will pay off huge when he suits up in the NCAA.

Comment

• Rubbadub
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CanadianZagFan View Post
      I think he will be able to play significant minutes as a freshman for the Zags
      That's probably our greatest pitch to recruits at the moment...for better or worse.
      sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• Straightedge Hooper
        Redshirt
        • May 2007

"“I made the right decision about what school I want to go to. It’s close to home ... Edmonton is only

Hmm... wouldn't consider that a drive I'd want to tackle on a regular basis.

Comment

• zagster318
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Straightedge Hooper View Post
          "“I made the right decision about what school I want to go to. It’s close to home ... Edmonton is only

Hmm... wouldn't consider that a drive I'd want to tackle on a regular basis.
          I hear Edmonton is very nice this time of year.
          "Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change color and fall from the trees."- David Letterman

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CanadianZagFan View Post
            When I had the chance to watch him play this past summer I was impressed, but slightly worried about his lack of effort during the games I saw.
            I'm sure if the effort is not there, Mark will ream him a new one.

Comment

• CanadianZagFan
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
              I'm sure if the effort is not there, Mark will ream him a new one.
              I think he coasted a bit due to the lack of seriousness or meaning to the games. The U18 Canadian team was playing a throw together group of University players with not great talent. I am sure from what I have read that once the whistle goes to start a real game he is focused.

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

Rebounding is 80-90% effort and Mangisto always seems to average 10 or more boards per game.

Anyway, GU will need scorers next season (and beyond) and this kid fits the bill. He'll like how Meech gets him the ball so much.
                The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• OZZag
                  Kennel Club
                  • Aug 2007

Edmonton Weather

Originally posted by zagster318 View Post
                  I hear Edmonton is very nice this time of year.
                  Having experienced many "Northern Canadian" Winters myself, the wind chill is what makes Edmonton so "lovely" when it gets colder.

Comment

Working...
                  X