PDA

View Full Version : New Pac 12?

lawzag
03-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Just a query to create some discussion. I am so sick of hearing about the "weak" WCC & how the teams in the PAC 10 are obviously better because they play harder teams day to day...see thread where Tacomazag did research about the Zags record against BCS & PAC 10 teams...
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about starting a movement among supporters & boosters to promote GU moving into the PAC 10. Who decides if they are eligible to join? Would they have to create a football program to be allowed in? Is there sufficient alumni/booster $ to create a football program if needed. Would we have to garner another school (eg. Boise State??) to join so there is an "even" number of teams.

Wouldn't it be cool to join the new "PAC 12" and win the BB conference championship the first year in???:D :D :D

any thoughts?

former1dog
03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
booooo! Hissssss!

TuckC
03-14-2007, 02:14 PM
I feel it can't be done just because of the sixe of the school. Here is a breakdown done by someone recently on GU vs. Bowl Conference Schools. (http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=1596)

former1dog
03-14-2007, 02:17 PM
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8ea3e96122.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

UWZag
03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Why would the pac 10 want more teams? and yes a huge reason is football. You cant just join a league for a couple sports.

TuckC
03-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Who doesn't like the Gong Show? Next up, a man who says he doesn't like Duke, yet picks him every year. Dick, take it away.

ZagNative
03-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Perhaps this is a dumb knee jerk reaction, but the first thing I thought of when I read your post was, "Wait, don't schools in the Pac-10 have a lousy TV deal? Wouldn't I have less of a chance to see the Zags on TV if they played in the Pac-10?"

So long as we continue to get great recruits and make the Big Dance every year, why would we leave the WCC? And so long as recruits know they'll have plenty of opportunity for national exposure and are able to play for a power school on a national stage, as they do at Gonzaga now, they'll come in increasing numbers.

So, no. It will never happen, nor would I want it to happen.

former1dog
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/38b7f84080.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

TuckC
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd like to see them in the Big East or the Big Ten, who cares if its a long flight (retorical)? Oh wait this year is a sign not such a good idea.

LA Zag
03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
So long as we continue to get great recruits and make the Big Dance every year, why would we leave the WCC? And so long as recruits know they'll have plenty of opportunity for national exposure and are able to play for a power school on a national stage, as they do at Gonzaga now, they'll come in increasing numbers.

I think Notre Dame lost some of this "differentiation" when they joined the Big Ten.

lawzag
03-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I totally hear what you all are saying. I agree that I LOVE the fact that only 3 (or is it 4) other teams nationwide had all their games telecast & I certainly think the quality of our program & recruits is as good (actually better) than what you see in the PAC:lmao: -10. I just thought it would be fun to end the repeated comments of "weak conference" blah blah blah, by kicking some PAC 10 b*** on a weekly basis!!! :lmao:

SLOZag
03-14-2007, 02:34 PM
While I personally disfavor the idea of GU joining the big (headed) boys, I'm not certain doing so is out of the question. If I recall correctly, the Pac 10 includes Cal Poly and perhaps Boise State for wrestling, even though both of those schools belong to other conferences for football. Said another way, there appears to be more to this notion than meets (at least my own) eye.

Great post to stir up the emotions! :clap:

Thomas_Sutpen
03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I think Notre Dame lost some of this "differentiation" when they joined the Big Ten.

Notre Dame did not join the Big 10. They joined the Big East for basketball, but stayed independent for football.

As to odd numbers, the Big 10 has had 11 teams for some time now (with the addition of Penn State in the '80s.)

Personally, I'd like to see GU stay in the WCC.

---------

LA Zag
03-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Oops. I was thinking football, but for some reason I saw ND in the Big Ten. I must have confused them with Penn State. My bad:o

Oldschool
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
While its interesting debate material its not possible. Zags don't bring
enough to the table in terms of variety of Athletic competition.And it would
be a mistake. As it is GU played a very tough schedule this year. I don't
personally think that N. Carolina is as good as they say but GU played a
great game against them. If they schedule a tough game partly through league like they did this yr with Memphis they will be fine because in order to
make the dance they must win the WCC. I don't see them winning the PAC
most yrs. I wish them well and I think it would be great to get some wins in
the tournament without JH. I personally don't think he is good for team chemistry. Go Zags. How about a Tournament with WSU,UW,Oregon,Boise
State, Montana,etc?

IdahoTJR
03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
For baseball.

Birddog
03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey it's March, way too early for this semi annual (at least, possibly quarterly) query. Angelo needs to re write the long and short of why IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!!! and then make it required to read with a test before being able to post.
Sorry if that sounds harsh, but this comes up right alongside the one about joining the WAC, MAC, Con USA, Big East, you name it.

Birddog