• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heavyzag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

Oregon athletic director out the door?

Oregon will announce today that offensive coordinator Chip Kelly will be Mike Bellotti’s successor as head football coach. The timetable for the promotion is not yet known.

Oregon has scheduled a 3:30 p.m. media teleconference today with President Dave Frohnmayer and director of athletics Pat Kilkenny to “announce succession plan for athletics department,” appearing to confirm what sources have suggested, that Bellotti will succeed Kilkenny when his tenure ends.

With at least one other school, Syracuse, having been granted permission to speak with Kelly about its head coaching position, negotiations have been underway to keep Kelly at Oregon.

The call is also expected to include Bellotti and Kelly.

Kilkenny, whose contract expires June 30, had previously indicated he would prefer to remain at Oregon until the University finds a successor to Frohnmayer, who will retire at the end of this academic year. That would allow the incoming president to choose a new athletic director.

A report from Rivals.com indicated Kelly was scheduled to interview with Syracuse on Wednesday. But Bellotti said Sunday he didn’t believe an interview was scheduled.

Kelly is in the first year of a four-year contract at Oregon that will pay him a minimum of $335,00 this season, and a maximum of $556,250 should he reach a series of incentives. He received a $100,000 signing bonus in January. The deal includes an escalating annual retention bonus and a penalty for leaving during the life of the deal that declines annually.

The framework of the deal has been released to The Register-Guard, but it is not known if all details of the contract have been finalized and executed.
  • wazZag
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Summon Canzano and find out how this fits in with the conspiracy re: Few to Oregon. There has to be an angle in that wild imagination of his.
    FOO!

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2008

Interesting. Mike Bellotti has really changed Oregon from a decent "regional" program as it was under Rich Brooks to a West Coast powerhouse.

He is truly one of the great college coaches.

Since Chip Kelly is the "new guy" who brought the spread offense to the Ducks only a two seasons ago, I wonder at the accuracy of that report that he would be made head coach over several guys with very long tenure in Eugene.
      History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• beatProgram
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Mark Few will not only leave Gonzaga, but he'll leave basketball altogether; ultimately taking up the position of Oregon Ducks Football Offensive Coordinator.

You heard it here first

Comment

• 75Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

The Oregon athletic program will "dance" exactly when and where Phil Knight tells it to. And to be blunt, if "Nike Phil" wants to dangle a couple billion dollars over my head, I will be happy to stand up on my hind legs and perform just like a little lap dog. Just like his friend the current Oregon AD.
          Do not go gentle into that good night,
          Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
          Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

The Golden Rule...

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
            The Oregon athletic program will "dance" exactly when and where Phil Knight tells it to. And to be blunt, if "Nike Phil" wants to dangle a couple billion dollars over my head, I will be happy to stand up on my hind legs and perform just like a little lap dog. Just like his friend the current Oregon AD.
            Them that have the gold make the rules..

Comment

• lothar98zag
              PostPadder General
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by heavyzag View Post
              Oregon will announce today that offensive coordinator Chip Kelly will be Mike Bellotti’s successor as head football coach. The timetable for the promotion is not yet known.

Oregon has scheduled a 3:30 p.m. media teleconference today with President Dave Frohnmayer and director of athletics Pat Kilkenny to “announce succession plan for athletics department,” appearing to confirm what sources have suggested, that Bellotti will succeed Kilkenny when his tenure ends.

With at least one other school, Syracuse, having been granted permission to speak with Kelly about its head coaching position, negotiations have been underway to keep Kelly at Oregon.

The call is also expected to include Bellotti and Kelly.

Kilkenny, whose contract expires June 30, had previously indicated he would prefer to remain at Oregon until the University finds a successor to Frohnmayer, who will retire at the end of this academic year. That would allow the incoming president to choose a new athletic director.

A report from Rivals.com indicated Kelly was scheduled to interview with Syracuse on Wednesday. But Bellotti said Sunday he didn’t believe an interview was scheduled.

Kelly is in the first year of a four-year contract at Oregon that will pay him a minimum of $335,00 this season, and a maximum of $556,250 should he reach a series of incentives. He received a $100,000 signing bonus in January. The deal includes an escalating annual retention bonus and a penalty for leaving during the life of the deal that declines annually.

The framework of the deal has been released to The Register-Guard, but it is not known if all details of the contract have been finalized and executed.
              please

thanks!
              youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• kdaleb
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by lothar98zag View Post
                please

thanks!
                AP Story
                OregonLive Ducks Blog

Comment

• StocktonIsMyHero
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2008

This isn't too too surprising, though the timing of it was definitely forced by other schools courting Chip Kelly. Rumor has it that UW considered Kelly the "ace up their sleeve" if they fail to get the other people at the top of their list. And you know Oregon didn't want that to happen.

Anyway, Belotti was angling for the AD job when Moos was shown the door a few years ago. They brought Kilkenny in to close the deal with Phil Knight about his $100 million gift for the new basketball arena, he was never going to be a long-term guy as AD. However, I would be surprised if Kilkenny left before the construction of that gym is finalized once and for all. They put no time-table on the transition at any rate.

Comment

• ZAGduck
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Feb 2007

My understanding is that the timing is all up to Bellotti. When he decides to become the AD, Kilkenny steps down and Chip Kelly moves up.

Kilkenny has accomplished his goals: Secured arena funding, passed all state and local obstacles to begin construction, and brought back baseball (first home game is 2/27; first game is at St. Mary's on 2/20). Also, he only draws a $1 salary from Oregon and I imagine he is anxious to get back to making some real coin.

Look for Bellotti to stay head coach until at least the end of next season. We have a VERY favorable home schedule and he is gunning for an outright Pac-10 Championship, with possibly even higher goals.

Speaking of the new arena, check out www.godunks.net for updates.

By the way, I am a Duck by geography but a Zag by education. A few weeks ago at the Oregon/Arizona game, I was invited to the AZ Alumni tailgater by an AZ friend. In my typical inbriated Game Day state, I stayed long enough to have a few free beers and to tell Jim Livengood (AZ AD) that Few was definitely off limits. I consider it a binding gentleman's agreement

Comment

Working...
                    X