Was this the first Preseason tournament we'ver won?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Was this the first Preseason tournament we'ver won?

Is this the first preseason Gonzaga has won? In the last 12 years?
    I"m thinking it is. If so that's just fantastic....I know we almost won Maui, I think, when Adam was a Junior. UCONN beat us by one at the buzzer. You knew, from that tournament that the Zags were very good. In that same tournament we also beat Mich State in overtime....who will ever forget that game and an Adam Morrison great memory?

I think preseason tournament are important. It's a great time to see what you have. It's now pretty apparant we have a great team. WE all suspected and hoped we had, but now it's more knowing. The OSC was a test, and the Zags passed with flying colors.

In order to do well in March now, we need to continue to have big challenges which we have. We must continue to improve because everyone will. We still have so many great games ahead of us and so many more defining moments, but this is a great beginning. Our conference will be better this year, including Portland, and that will only help us. We've needed our conference to get tougher and it is. One great factor about this year is that it's a year that we're up (4 seniors, one junior) when many of the teams are rebuiding.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

We won the BB&T Classic in 2003 and the 1999 (?) Top of the World - beat Clemson.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• xjzico
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

Close, it was 1997. Zags crushed Tulsa, beat someone else who I cannot remember, and then beat a Clemson team ranked #5 at the time.
      We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Comment

• kdaleb
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
        We won the BB&T Classic in 2003 and the 1999 (?) Top of the World - beat Clemson.
        BB&T wasn't an exempt tourney... it was just basically two neutral court games in tournament style.

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kdaleb View Post
          BB&T wasn't an exempt tourney... it was just basically two neutral court games in tournament style.
          4 team tourney -- winners (GU/GWU) played for the Championship and losers (MD/W. VA) played for 3rd.
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• GoZags
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by xjzico View Post
            Close, it was 1997. Zags crushed Tulsa, beat someone else who I cannot remember, and then beat a Clemson team ranked #5 at the time.

#18 Mississippi State
            sigpic
            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
            ——-
            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kdaleb View Post
              I think that was the last season that the BB&T was played in a tourney fashion. After that, they went to the 'classic' format four teams pairing off for one game each.
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Working...
              X