PDA

View Full Version : Demetri Goodson....

hoopster777
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Anyone else think he's capable of putting up 20 points in a game? The announcers keep saying that on any night, seven GU players have the capability of scoring 20 points. Obviously, Pargo, Bouldin, Heytvelt, Gray, Downs, and Daye are able to.....so far Goodson has been very solid, but I dont think he's going to get near 20 points in a game this year...

dnj116
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
No he won't get 20 points in a game this season because that's not his role. I think he's more than capable of it, but he's out there to get the ball in the hands of the other offensive weapons. By watching, observing, and playing behind Pargo he is learning an invaluable lesson: that you can accomplish more and control the game by getting the ball to an open shooter. This kid is going to be special and is in line to be the next great GU guard.

krozman
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
He seems to be the best freshman point guard in the last 15 years, not joking. That being said, lets hope his top end is high too because i'm very impressed thus far.

Scoring 20 this season? I agree it's not his role, but I saw that post move during the Tennessee game that made me believe he will be aggressive when it's his time to do so.

sittingon50
12-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Kroz, Blake Stepp comes to mind (#6 all-time scorer, #1 3 Pt. FG's made, # 6 FT's made, #2 Assists [which is what PG's do]).

krozman
12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Kroz, Blake Stepp comes to mind (#6 all-time scorer, #1 3 Pt. FG's made, # 6 FT's made, #2 Assists [which is what PG's do]).

My comment isn't meant to take anything away from blake, or even santangelo, but when Blake was a freshman, did he show just as much basketball IQ? I dunno, but I like what I see.

VinnyZag
12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
The announcers keep saying that on any night, seven GU players have the capability of scoring 20 points.

I'm sure the seventh guy they're referring to is Sorenson, who is still perfect for the year on 3-pointers.

Pleasant Peninsula
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
but when Blake was a freshman, did he show just as much basketball IQ?

Yes. And he was also a starter.

xjzico
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Blake was considered Mr. High Basketball IQ. He's right up there with Santangelo for best freshman guard in the last 20 years.

Santangelo
27games 31.4mpg 13.2pgg 4.4apg 2.9rpg
Stepp
33games 30.9mpg 10.3ppg 3.5apg 3.6rpg

UberZagFan
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Meech has done very well in the role he has been given. But let's not get carried away here, best freshman point guard in last 15 years? Just a quick blurb on Stepp from gozags:

FRESHMAN (2000-01): Started all 33 games, one of only two players to do so - senior Mark Spink the other...began the season as the starting off guard, but was pressed into duty at point guard for nine games when Dan Dickau suffered a broken left index finger...after getting 8 points in first career game at Eastern Washington University, scored in double digits the next four games, including season-high 21 at the University of Arizona and 17 in his first game replacing Dickau against the University of Washington...went 6-of-12 at Arizona, including 6-of-10 from 3-point range to help Bulldogs lead by 5 with 7:30 to play before losing...matched his season-high with 21 points in WCC Tournament title game against Santa Clara University, going 6-of-10 from the field, 5-of-9 from 3-point range...scored 20 points in WCC first-round win over Saint Mary's College...had 16 double-digit scoring games...had season-high 10 assists against Washington...averaged 30.9 minutes/game, second best on the team behind Dan Dickau's 33.7 minutes/game...named the WCC Freshman of the Year and an All-WCC honorable mention pick...named to the All-WCC Tournament team, averaging 15.3 ppg while shooting 58.3 percent from the field (14-for-24) and 57.1 percent from 3-point range (12-for-21)...scored 8 points in NCAA Tournament first-round game against the University of Virginia, 2 points in second-round win over Indiana State University and in Sweet 16 matchup with Michigan State University...had 5 assists against Virginia...finished 7th in WCC in 3-point field goal percentage (37.6 percent), second in 3-point field goals made (1.94/game) and fourth in assists (3.48/game)...his 64 3-pointers for the season were second on the team and rank him tied for 10th on the Gonzaga single-season list.

GSL-KID
12-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't remember when they said seven.

They talked about the 5 on the court and when Steven came in they again said 5 on the court can get you 20.

Mr Vulture
12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I heard them talk about 6 guys that can give you 20 but never heard 7...they were talking about the starting 5 and Steven...

NotoriousZ
12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Give Meech 35 minutes in a game and I don't see why he couldn't put up 20 (and 10 assists). We'll just have to wait until next year. For now, we are incredibly lucky to have both Pargo and Meech.

ZagMania
12-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I doubt we'll see Meech scoring 20, as I can't recall seeing him hit a jump shot this season. Like stated thats not his role, but it seems like the defenders don't really come out on him or see him as a threat in that way at all. If he showed he could hit that shot, it'd make his slashing all the more effective.

alaskazagnut
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
He could put down 10 dunks like that one against Tenn. In one game......He could.......really.

NorthoftheBorder
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
The question shouldn't be how many players "could" score 20 points in a game, but how many actually will.

Most Div 1 teams have at least 7 - 10 players who "could" score 20 points in a game if for some reason the coach wanted to feature that player in their offense.

I bet Will Foster could score 20 points against somebody like Texas Southern if Coach Few wanted that to happen.

Now, if the question is how many of the players on this year's team "will" score 20 I think that it will probably be 6 - the 5 starters and Steven Gray - and that is probably as many as any team in the country.

Nevtelen
12-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I don't think Meech is capable of 20 pts at this juncture in his career. He will be someday, but not now, esp with the lack of jump-shot he's shown. If he had enough PT, he could get a buch of assits, though.

I think GU has 6 guys that will get about 20 this year. I'm not sure anyone on the team has actually cracked 20 yet IIRC becuase of the balanced scoring, but the leading scorer in most games has been very close. And that leading scorer has changed most games. So I'd say there are 6 real threats on this team.

roxdoc
12-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Four different guys have either been, or tied with another, as leading scorer in the 5 games this year.

Tmac5360
12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
I must start by saying that I am HUGE Pargo fan!! I do however feel that over the next 4 years Meech will be a better all around player than Jeremy. He is a great floor general, has the passion, doesn't shoot that great yet. But he plays D!! I have never felt that Pargo is great on D. I could be totally wrong but I really think this kid is going to be something very special!!

MDABE80
12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
"6" was the mention.
Meech could put up 20 but he's surrounded by scorers. His job is different this year. In the future if we don't have so many scorers, he might shoot more often and put up 20. Not ppg but he can do 20 on some nights.

sittingon50
12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Fran did say 7 during the Maryland game.

In Blake's 1st collegiate game (an exhibition vs the professional Yakima Sun Kings), Blake scored 19; in the 1st half.

I didn't mention Santangelo because he had the benefit of a redshirt year.

cair3
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
If it was the teams number one goal, Sorenson could score 20 points against indiana. It would probably take him 25 shots to do it but if they were setting a ton of screens for him he would do it, he is a good shooter. Indiana would probably win but if few told the team "the season is canceled unless we get sorenson 20" they would do it.

The only guy i think this wouldnt work for is Foster. No matter how many times they fed it to him in the post I dont see him puttin up 20. Also the other walk on PMAG isnt scoring 20 no matter what.

cjm720
12-02-2008, 07:40 AM
I heard them talk about 6 guys that can give you 20 but never heard 7...they were talking about the starting 5 and Steven...

That's what I recall hearing too.

GO ZAGS!!

RenoZag
12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Meech averaged 16.7 ppg as a senior in 36 games played. As a junior, he averaged 16 ppg. . .

Anything's possible. . .

75Zag
12-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Not sure I care whether he can or does score 20, as long as his point guard skills continue to develop. In my experience, when an elite team is forced to rely on scoring from the point guard, bad things tend to happen. On the other hand, when the point guard is feeding his wings and bigs, good things tend to happen.

I feel pretty comfortable that Goodson is the guy to lead GU into the next years, but first I want to enjoy the ride this year with JP at the helm.

Go Bulldogs

BobZag
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Meech won't be a scorer, but I like how he didn't back down from Chism when Chism was "jawing" at him. The kid is tough, and I dig tough.

rennis
12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Meech won't be a scorer

This would have concerned me in years past, as GU has always relied on point production from the PG. I think a new style has been adopted since Pargo entered the fold, however. Which is probably good thing when competing against high caliber talent. I don't think Dickau and Stepp's team could have beaten Tennessee Sunday night.

3 more years of Meech? yes please.

TokyoZag
12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Meech won't be a scorer, but I like how he didn't back down from Chism when Chism was "jawing" at him. The kid is tough, and I dig tough.

He's the second coming of QHall I tell you.

Both are very fast and QHall wouldn't back down whether it was the parking lot of St Al's or the Sweet Sixteen.

dnj116
12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
In a way Goodson reminds me of PMAC. He plays D like him and is quick as hell. However, I'd take Goodson's ballhandling and play anyday over PMAC. PMAC was an incredible athlete, but a lot of times lacked what was needed on the offensive end. Goodson is SOOO much more comfortable with the ball and is not going to back down from any team/player in the country.

ZagNative
12-02-2008, 12:24 PM
So long as his arsenal includes great moves like this one, who needs a great jump shot?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Meech/2008-11-30AustinDayeTennessee4.jpg

Blocking Tyler Smith's shot?

And playing at Klein-Collins, in one of the nation's toughest HS basketball leagues, I remember him scoring 34 and 21, while guiding his team to a 34-5 record, and being just a blast to follow even on the radio last winter.

And the neat thing is that he's done nothing to disappoint in a Zag uni!

sdzag
12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Who cares if he is not a natural shooter? Pargo isn't one. As long as he is more offensively potent then Winston Brooks I'll take him.

ZagNative
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
If he can't go over the top of you ....

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Meech/2008-11-18MeechGoodsonIdaho2smaller.jpg

.... he'll go under you .... here against Idaho, as he squeezes past Idaho's Mac Hopson and Luciano de Souza

ZagNative
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Who cares if he is not a natural shooter? Pargo isn't one. As long as he is more offensively potent then Winston Brooks I'll take him.
We ollowed the game last February where Meech scored 35 here (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=9852).

There's also a post on that thread (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=168307#post168307) that's right on about Meech's game:

Originally Posted by ZagAddict View Post

Meech's game seems to be really maturing during his senior season... I can't wait to see what guidance under the GU coaching staff can teach this young talented PG. Sounds like another terrific PG for Few and Co. I really like the possibility of him playing a year behind Pargo too.

Nice post, ZagAddict. I really share your excitement about seeing what "guidance under the GU coaching staff can teach this young talented point guard."

It reminded me of this story I read this morning on signonsandiego.com about Bill Grier's efforts to bring San Diego's freshman point guard, Trumaine Johnson, along.[QUOTE]“When he first came here he really, really fought coaching and struggled to figure out his role,” Grier said. “There's a lot of responsibility on the point guard. It's the most important position in the college game. And for the first two months, we didn't see eye-to-eye.

“To the kid's credit, he decided he needed to listen, be more coachable and do what we want him to do on the court.”

Johnson's side of the story: “High school player to college player is a tough transition. I knew I could get away with a lot of stuff in high school, like cutting corners. But Coach Grier, with his 16 years at Gonzaga, knew what it is to be a good college point guard and what it takes to get there.

“It took me awhile to realize that he actually knows what he's talking about and he actually knows how to make me a better player than I am. Right now, I'm starting to buy into it and we're starting to see eye-to-eye.”

Johnson has accepted that his role is to be a point guard first – with its duties of floor generalship, ball distribution and strategy implementation – and a scorer as a lower priority.
The part I bolded is what Meech already understands and has implemented so well at Klein Collins. That's what Coach Shumaker always raves about Meech when he comments during the pre-game and post-game shows on tsrn.com. Against Tomball, with his 35 points, he showed he can obviously score, but it's the other things he does on the floor that really set him apart.

EL MUSTACIO
12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
20 assists. That's my boy. A new Pargo for me to obsess over, but he might even eventually be greater. Goodson is greatson.