PDA

View Full Version : In Looking at the Schedule

GUZagDenver
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
In looking at the schedule.... with Indiana, Arizona, and Wazzu being down this year, we SHOULD be undefeated when we play UConn at BIS. Now, I realize that this is college basketball and anything can happen, but with our talent and based on the way we have been playing, we SHOULD be undefeated for that game. Wazzu should be the toughest test of these three, which will be no easy task, but we have to be favored. Man, we could have a #2 vs #3,4,5 matchup at BIS. That could be ubelievable.

Stache
12-01-2008, 11:58 AM
How much is this game killing Romar? Its just a shame that GU couldn't help the doggies with their "national" schedule. Maybe Pacific will be #2 next year?

CDC84
12-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I expect the Wazzu game to be hotly contested. It will be the first true road game of the season for the Zags, and no matter how the Cougs are from year to year, pulling out a win in Pullman has proven to be very, very difficult. Wazzu has beaten GU two years in a row, and they want to continue to keep the bragging rights.

If the Zags and UConn do manage to go undefeated until they face each other, CBS is going to have major egg on their face for making that game a regional game. It may be the best game on their network during the entire regular season.

sittingon50
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I think we'll see how much the Zags have "matured" vs WSU. Their style is like a root canal, painful but effective. With a frenzied crowd, it will be a real test.

Even with the turmoil at Arizona, they have a couple of guys that could light us up.

Loooooooooooong way to go.

ZagManFan
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
To combat the Coug crowd I will yell till my voice gives way.:D

zagzealot
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Has anyone noticed who the Huskies (of the UW variety) are playing on 12/20 in Seattle, the same day as the BIS...our own Eastern Washington University Eagles. Cheney's a little further west of Spokane, right? I thought Romar wanted to 'expose himself' east of Spokane? :D

TuckC
12-01-2008, 03:14 PM
It will surely be interesting. Few knew how capable his team was early and wanted to schedule this lineup of teams to tell the committee, "So find a flaw in this one." Knock on wood we don't lose anybody or some flukish event occurs. I guess it is a positive that there is no team on the schedule with this handful of games that the team could "look over."

UberZagFan
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
If the Zags and UConn do manage to go undefeated until they face each other, CBS is going to have major egg on their face for making that game a regional game. It may be the best game on their network during the entire regular season.

Does CBS have the flexibility to "nationalize" the BIS game? If both teams stay top 5 it may be the best matchup on any network all year. While other top 5 teams have a chance to matchup -- notably UNC & Duke (Pitt will drop out of the top 5 before they play UConn), this appears to be the only chance of a Top 5 matchup pre-conference games.

hoopster777
12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
The thing is even if the game was not a #2 vs. #4 or #5 or wherever we are ranked at the time of the game, this is still a marquee matchup.....that being said, if the government can nationalize AIG, Freddie and Fannie, I dont see why a major sports station wouldn't "nationalize" this game. The only other game on at that time is Davidson vs. Purdue, which is not even close to being the scale of UCONN-Gonzaga.......seems to me the East Coast would be more concerned with the top West Coast team vs. the top East Coast team.

Zag4Hire
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
In looking at the schedule.... with Indiana, Arizona, and Wazzu being down this year, we SHOULD be undefeated when we play UConn at BIS. Now, I realize that this is college basketball and anything can happen, but with our talent and based on the way we have been playing, we SHOULD be undefeated for that game. Wazzu should be the toughest test of these three, which will be no easy task, but we have to be favored. Man, we could have a #2 vs #3,4,5 matchup at BIS. That could be ubelievable.

What I like is that these teams will at the very least test the Zags leading into the BiS game. UConn smacked down Delaware State tonight followed by Buffalo and Stony Brook. Hard to stay sharp and travel across the country if you aren't being tested. Last year, the Zags had to finish out the Alaska Shootout, travel to Philly to play in front of a berserk crowd and an inspired team (THE HAWK NEVER DIES!) before heading over to Boston. Also the game against Wazzu was only a few days after...I am guessing they were quite exhausted by then.

lothar98zag
12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
The thing is even if the game was not a #2 vs. #4 or #5 or wherever we are ranked at the time of the game, this is still a marquee matchup.....that being said, if the government can nationalize AIG, Freddie and Fannie, I dont see why a major sports station wouldn't "nationalize" this game. The only other game on at that time is Davidson vs. Purdue, which is not even close to being the scale of UCONN-Gonzaga.......seems to me the East Coast would be more concerned with the top West Coast team vs. the top East Coast team.
CBS could easily make the GU-Huskies game almost national and show the Dav-Ind game to just the 2 teams "local" markets...

Also, having 2 games on at once will allow CBS to shift coverage away from the GU game late in the 2nd (when GU is up 25) to the other game since it will be close until the end... ;)

zagster318
12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Seems like the OOC schedule is spread out more, which is a good thing. Having four days between the Indiana and Wazzu games should give the Zags enough time to rest. Also, I see the Texas Southern game as a way to shore some things up, yet not having to worry about a loss right before the big UConn game.

Godzilla
12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
When Gonzaga plays the BIS it will definitely be a good game. I feel that a lot of the teams we are playing are down yes, but they are not out. We shouldn't ever say that we will be undifeated. It is a wonderful thought and we should hope for that. I just feel that it may not always pan out the way that it seems to. Wazzu is going to be a condener to take to undefeated out of our eyes. Totally we could win, but until we do win we worry about our next oponent.