• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Repost: Meech, my new favorite player.

I think that Meech is as impactful a freshman as AMMO was as a freshman. Obviously in a different capacity.

I'm very excited by what he brings to the team and I think he'll be a four year player and obviously a 3 year starter.

Gotta love that guy.

Comment

• FuManShoes
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The dude is incredibly poised, tough and opportunistic. I am really impressed and need to eat crow for inner thoughts I had that the hype about him was over the top; it wasn't. His D is great and his wily offense is a pleasant surprise. He is the perfect complement to this team's guards (and apparently its forwards, as well, because he seems to love mixing it up down low).

He blocked Tyler Smith's shot, for god's sake!
      “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Should have posted this in the OP, but what really impressed me during the Tenn game was that he obviously came out with some nerves early on and committed some "freshman" turnovers, BUT he got it under control and adjusted in game. That to me just spells maturity beyond his years.

Yeah, Jazz, I'm a raving polly.

Comment

• Nevtelen
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Meech definitely looks like a freshman at times, but has also really risen above what could be expected of him at times to. Even though his stat line isn't great, his contributions on the court were huge - his board was HUGE and that block was monster! He's going to be a good one, for sure.

Comment

• roxdoc
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Goodson is just a terrific young player - sure minor freshman mistakes (compared with Pargo's brain cramp shot with 25 seconds on the shot clock?)

Just think of the on the job training this young man is getting against top quality competition at the start of his career! This guy will be a very significant cog in the GU program for the next 3 years. Not saying he will attain the same level, but in my view he compares very favorably, freshman to freshman, to the likes of Ammo and Pargo.

Enjoy the feeling you have right now fellow Zags - it really doesn't get too much better than this (well perhaps with one exception! )

Comment

• Psychozag
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Feb 2007

Meech provides the opportunity for Jeremy to get some rest, which in turn makes Jeremy more effective for the minutes that he is out there. This is something that Jeremy couldn't really do last year.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

Wasn't he in the middle of the get together with their players right at the half? He doesn't back down, I like his competitiveness, and toughness. He is going to be a good one.

Comment

• Akzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
                  Wasn't he in the middle of the get together with their players right at the half? He doesn't back down, I like his competitiveness, and toughness. He is going to be a good one.

According to a couple of articles, indeed it was Demetri "barking" at Chism at the end of the half that set that in motion (Chism had been talking to him earlier in the half).

Some cajones man, for both Meech and Few. Granted Bouldin was normally out there when Pargo was getting spelled by Goodson. Obviously, Few loves him and Demetri's already bought into the stystem, his role, etc.
                  So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• JohnOGU
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2008

that block was incredible. i went nuts after seeing it. its kinf of funny. used to watch him in practiceand he would always try SO hard to swat our bigs' shots. Tyler smoth is no seven footer, but it looks like Meech got his finally. kid is a hustler.

Comment

• cjm720
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

If I was a high-scoring wing or big, I'd want Meech as my point. (hint: Josh Smith). He's going to have an unbelievable career here. GO ZAGS!!!
                      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I can only imagine that Meech loves it too. 7 months ago, he was in HS wondering how it might be at GU. Now, he's on a top 10 team fresh from a big tournament at Disneyworld. I suspect it'll just get better for our new face. He's obviously a tough, standup kid. What surprises me is that he seems to have figured out Few's system in pretty short order. I wonder if Few has simplified his playbook. Meech seems to have taken to it like none since Blake. Watching him makes me breath easier about next year's Point guard situation.

Comment

• jonesz
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Feb 2007

question

just wondering: Does meech have an outside shot??

I don't even see meech looking at the basket when they swing the ball to him.......I know there are four other options to choose from. I can see teams daring him to shoot.

His putback against Maryland was huge!!

Comment

• FuManShoes
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jonesz View Post
                            just wondering: Does meech have an outside shot??

I don't even see meech looking at the basket when they swing the ball to him.......I know there are four other options to choose from. I can see teams daring him to shoot.

His putback against Maryland was huge!!
                            Through scouting reports and descriptions from warmups and exhibitions, it sounds like his shot has a long ways to go. Fortunately that isn't needed on this squad and Meech can focus on putting his other skills to use. He does have an incredile nose for the ball and great touch aroudnd the rim, in amongst the redwoods. From what he's shown so far, he's a Texas-sized steal.
                            “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• billyberu
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

I wholeheartedly agree about Meech. Tough kid who plays some stellar D and brings those intangibles that come with being hardnosed. I understand he was the one barking at the end of the half against Tennessee. Coming from a true freshman you have got to admire his "Q" like qualities.

If Mark Few and his coaches have proved one thing throughout their tenure it's that they can develop players, particularly guards. That tradition will live on and I can't wait to see what the next 4? years of Meech will bring us.
                              There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                              Surfmonkey89

Comment

Working...
                              X