PDA

View Full Version : A Most ReAssuring Pattern Is Developing

ZagsGoZags
11-30-2008, 09:35 PM
In all three games of the Old Spice Classic, as a nervous fan who cares way too much, I experienced the same pattern:

GU plays even with opponent until just before or after the half. Then, slowly, a lead begins to build. My emotions at this point are: OMG who cares, the Zags have to stay tough, these little leads come and go.

And then the GU team's powerful, quiet strength keeps pouring it on, not flashy, and they continue pulling away.

It reminds me of the way Dan Gable use to beat everyone in wrestling (this dates me I am sure) or Vince Lombardi's Packers. It reminds me of when I could hold my own in tennis against a much better player, for awhile, until the skill level difference asserted itself. Or the way so many runners kept up with Michael Johnson for the first 200 meters, then the power just turned on. Not like afterburners. Like the stronger competitor, like the stronger engine.

I'll be thrilled if the zags can exhibit this pattern in at least a few more games. If it becomes a larger pattern for the season, my reaction is, more or less whisperingly, ..... "This is too good to be true."

pbriz
11-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I think Mark Few has a lot to do with this trend. And Ray G has done a tremendous job on the defense. Very nice work by the staff

calizag
11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
yes it does seem that this teams quality shines through during the second half. It will be very important to close out teams especially in close games such as this one. I also like how pargo has an instinct for the important moments in a game and knows how to get those much needed buckets...he scored 8 in like three minutes if i am not mistaken....