PDA

View Full Version : Rebounds: Vols 46 GU 23, but GU holds Vols to 36% shooting

CDC84
11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Not only that, but the Vols collected 23 offensive boards compared to Gonzaga's 4. It's a good thing that GU held Tennessee to 36% shooting and 29% from 3 point land. Rebounding is something that RayG says they need to keep working on. But no matter how many boards the Vols got, the Zags kept defending the basket. As I mentioned before the game in my post on the potential effectiveness of a zone defense with this team, the two 6-11 guys constantly bothered Tennessee's perimeter guys once they got into the lane, and it was really difficult for their interior players like Chism and Williams to do much of anything with all the length that was around them. Unlike previous years where the zone was used to hide Gonzaga's defensive weaknesses, the zone is a strength with this bunch. But I would like to see Gonzaga continue to improve it's man defense so that teams can't just prepare for the zone and the zone alone.

I don't want to come off as negative, but the 2 (actually, 3) bonehead plays at the end were inexcusable. That intentional foul on Austin was about the
5th or 6th time this season he's fouled a driving offensive player in transition for a 3 point play. He needs to just let them score....especially in a situation like that when the game clock is your buddy. Pargo and Bouldin also made a couple of poor decisions in the final 3 minutes where they tried to make tough offensive plays with tons of time on the shot clock. Those three poor decisions helped the Vols to get back into the game and get the lead down to 6 after GU had been up by 18 with 4:30 to go.

One of the better stats of the night....the Zags only coughed up 14 turnovers, while inducing Tennessee into 21 turnovers. The Zags only turned the ball over 4 times in the 2nd half.

Pargo really had a fantastic tournament.....he had 17 assists and 5 turnovers for a 3.4 to 1 assist to turnover ratio against three teams who love to pressure the basketball all over the floor.

Heytvelt went 18/24 from the field in the tournament. I think he's back :o

It's a long, long season. The Zags need to maintain their focus and stay sharp next Saturday against Indiana so that they will be firing on all cylinders for the Wazzu game. The Cougs have beaten the Zags two years in a row. That streak needs to end. As long time posters know, road games are always tough in Pullman, and it will be GU's first real road game against a good team this season.

seasontixholder
11-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Howd'ya like that zone which came out in force right from the start in the second half (appears in big games at various times, but often 2-4 minutes into the 2nd)? It slowed the Vols to a crawl, made them think, force bad shots, and minimized the mayhem after the made basket. Their adrenaline moments were spotty afterwards. Most of all, it made their half-time adjustments completely moot.

I said it was coming.

zagzilla
11-30-2008, 09:48 PM
very unusual to see a team that blocks as many shots as the Zags have early this season give up so many offensive rebounds. Point of emphasis for the coaching staff this week

CDC84
11-30-2008, 10:10 PM
When you play a zone against a team like Tennessee which thrives on offensive rebounding, you are going to lose the battle of the boards. It's almost a given. The goal is to not get killed on the boards.

The Gonzaga machine is by no means perfect. As Fraschilla said tonight, GU is only 70% as good as it will be 2 months from now.

MDABE80
11-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Just amazing......winning this game and losing the rebounding so badly. And shooting 55% on 3's won't likely happen again. Odd turn of events tonight. I do think the Zags' speed, tougness, athleticism and unusually good shooting bailed em out this night. I dunno if we can lose the boards and win like this.

tobizag
11-30-2008, 11:42 PM
cdc: totally agree about those few plays at the end of the game. i have no clue what was running through austin's head to make that play. just leave him be. and pargo taking a contested shot with 23 on the shot clock is inexcusable. i'm just glad we played so well for the majority of the game despite some questionable officiating and were able to pull out the victory.

abe: if we lose the boards like this on jan 7th, we'll be in big trouble (that is, unless we shoot like we did tonight i suppose.)