• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag4Hire
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

OSC Championship Game: Tennessee vs Gonzaga

It is already being chatted up on the UT message board and Vols fans seem to have tempered expectations, throwing around 'challenge' and 'good learning experience'. I think it could be the best game so far of the season since so many other tournament matchups failed to come through (UCLA/Duke for one). Keys to the game:

1) Looking at the two OSC games so far for Tennessee, it is interesting to see they outrebounded the Hoyas. They can obviously play to the strengths of the other team.

2) In a post game recap article, Coach Pearl noted their strength is their 10 man deep roster. That definitely is the case...the Vols have scorers up and down the roster. Limiting the bench contributions of the Vols will be key

3) Our lack of depth in the frontcourt is always going to be concern against the big time programs but if we control the boards like tonight against the Terps (41-28 is an awesome margin), we should be in good shape.

4) Who will show up at the free throw line for Gonzaga? Jekyll (vs Maryland 18 of 25) or Hyde (vs Oklahoma State 13 of 26)?

5) Any player could be a X factor on the Vols squad. I am keeping my eye on Freshman Renaldo Woolridge: vs Siena, 3 of 6 from 3pt and 6 boards; vs Georgetown, 1 of 7 FG. Able to dominate the Hoyas without his contribution so how will they do with him?
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
  • HiwasseeVol
    Redshirt
    • Nov 2008

Congrats on the thrashing of Maryland today. Very impressive. The Zags look big and very talented. Don't know if some of our young kids can rise up to the challenge, but look forward to the game.

Zags are always one of my favorite teams as they play all and back down from no one.

Comment

• Zag4Hire
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by HiwasseeVol View Post
      Don't know if some of our young kids can rise up to the challenge, but look forward to the game.
      Great to have you on the boards and I, too, am eagerly anticipating this matchup. Also I am excited that Gonzaga and UT will have two games in one season. I really enjoy Coach Pearl and the full court pressure he puts on teams. Best of luck.

Regarding that line, I think they said the same about last year's Purdue team and look how they have developed. The future looks bright for Rocky Top hoops.
      IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• TuckC
        Kennel Club
        • Mar 2007

The main thing that will be interesting to watch is what Pearl does. Will he have Chism and Smith down low try and get Josh in foul trouble? I'd be surprised they wouldn't knowing that the number two big man down-low just got his boot off and an unsteady 7-5 guy are their only other real options.

Comment

• krozman
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

We play them twice, so may as well call them an RPI boosting WCC opponent this year. Except of course they're both away/neutral games.
          Krozman
          GU student 1996-2000
          Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Five words for Gonzaga:

Take care of the basketball

Comment

• TuckC
              Kennel Club
              • Mar 2007

MEECH's athleticism would be nice in this one, but maybe see what he does with limited time in the first half; see how he reacts to equal speed.

Comment

• roxdoc
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

As CDC says - taking care of the basketball will be #1.

Although they did ok today, I thought the team was a little shaky when UM turned the heat up in a last ditch effort to get back in the game. Some of Pargo's passes weren't good and Matt's hands had some problems.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I agree that the team was a bit shaky vs Maryland's press. I hate to say this, but I'm not sure the Zags are quite up to this game yet. I fear foul trouble inside when going for blocks and trying to stop the dribble and lots of TOs by the guards.

Comment

• azzagfan
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nevtelen View Post
                    I agree that the team was a bit shaky vs Maryland's press. I hate to say this, but I'm not sure the Zags are quite up to this game yet. I fear foul trouble inside when going for blocks and trying to stop the dribble and lots of TOs by the guards.
                    I'm actually more concerned with how our bigs will handle the ball. You know Tennessee will press and pressure all over the floor, and our bigs will have to handle the ball in the press break in the middle of the floor (at least catch and pass out). Heytvelt had a few knocked away tonight and Daye will need to be strong with the ball. Bouldin will also have to do better with the ball than he did tonight (5 TOs).

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Tenn starters are: 3 kids 6'7",1 at 6'9" and the last is 6'6". All leapers and quick with sticky fast hands. This game is full of danger, mayhem and lots of chances to lose. It's a classic team that might win it all..and they're getting better.

Last year was a track meet. Our Zags need to slow things and play defense. Bigs should be careful with shots. Pargo needs to feed..not shoot unless its in the key. Defense is key. Tenn is scoring 90 ppg. This will be a very difficult game.

Comment

• rawkmandale
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Yeah, but we're going to win semi-easily. It's our turn. Things will be dicier in Knoxville.

Comment

• MickMick
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

Zags will defend well enough. The rebounding will be close as Tennessee sports athletic length. The shots need to fall. Gray needs to get it going from the perimeter.

Tennessee is very aggressive with defensive pressure, steals, and defending the inbound pass. Zags need IQ for this one and CDC is right.....take care of the ball.
                          Last edited by MickMick; 11-29-2008, 09:07 AM.
                          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• beatProgram
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

We'll be fine...

So long as our guys wear a little body armor to protect against all the Vol's shivs and brass-knuckles under the boards.

Can we at least get some Pac-10 refs, so that we can be certain the game will be terribly officiated all-around?

Comment

• 75Zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

No 400 For Pearl!

This will be a great chance to see how GU players match up against BCS quality opponents. Josh (and Ira?) will have their hands full with Chism. I don't know which Zag will need to defend Tyler Smith (Daye?), but I wish him well. Smith is getting nearly 20 points a game. I would like to see a head to head match up between Woolridge and Daye if GU does not need Daye to defend Smith. I think Woolridge is one of the best freshman small forwards in the country.

I think our guards will outplay their guards, except for steals.

If Tenn makes their usual number of steals and GU reacts by going from inside play to outside jumpers, I think Tenn will win by 10 - unless GU's outside shooters get hot and save the day. If GU protects the ball and resists the temptation to go to outside jumpers against the defensive pressure, GU can win this.

Now is the time to step beyond the hype and earn that #2 Seed that so many on this board are counting on.
                              Do not go gentle into that good night,
                              Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                              Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                              X