PDA

View Full Version : Wow someone's mad at IU's head coach

soonerterp
03-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't really like this writer much but he's fairly spot on here.

Apparently Kelvin Sampson took a wee wee in Gregg Doyel's oatmeal (http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10058201)

To Indiana, OU basketball gave coach Kelvin Sampson. While at Oklahoma he racked up record numbers of wins and cell phone minutes, numbers that are related. He parlayed his advanced work ethic, as he liked to call his remorseless cheating, into relationships with high school kids who chose to play for the Sooners and their telephonically gifted coach.

Sampson probably would have left for Indiana regardless, but with NCAA investigators closing in, Sampson couldn't flee that sinking ship fast enough. What was Indiana thinking? Indiana was thinking about the bottom line -- wins and losses -- and Sampson has delivered. The Hoosiers do not have NCAA Tournament talent, but they have an NCAA Tournament team, and a No. 7-seeded team at that. That is all Sampson. He's a great coach. A cheater and a liar and a hypocrite. But a great coach.

I've heard around town that if he hadn't taken the IU job that after another year he probably would have been canned. Some of the NCAA punishments (and a sanction from the National Association of Basketball Coaches, which took away his complimentary Final Four tickets or something like that) actually apply to him and him alone even though he is at IU (I think they are restrictions or a ban on recruiting activities).

I'm a Terps fan but I've lived in Norman for 12 years and also have loyalties to Oklahoma. You'd better believe I wouldn't shed a tear if Gonzaga made KS one and done this year.

Please make it happen. :)

jhoop
03-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks for posting that Sooner. Indiana has had an extremely successful basketball program for decades. It boggles my mind that they would bring in a creep like Sampson to run the show.

PDXZag
03-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the post Sooner. I always enjoy getting the various perspectives of other teams' fans. Yeah, for most Zags fans, there is no love loss with Sampson either. In addition to being a cheater, he's also an arrogant SOB, even back when he was at WSU. Back in the early-mid '90's Gonzaga was practically begging to get a game with WSU. At that point, nobody would play us, even on their home floor, and we were really trying to break out of the "mid major" mold by trying to play anyone, anywhere. But year after year, the guy wouldn't play us, even in Pullman. The worst part of it was that he was so publicly flippant about it, basically taking the position that "why would we lower ourselves to play them." I mean come on, it's Wazzu for Pete's sake; it's not like he was coaching Kansas or UCLA. Most years, WSU is in the bottom 3rd of the Pac-10.

Beyond my dislike for his cheating and arrogance, I've always thought Sampson was a mediocre X's and O's coach. Just my opinion.

gamagin
03-14-2007, 08:44 AM
to me, is a survivor. A good coach and a really good communicator and motivator. Popular as a person. Intense.

All his qualities, however, pale, in comparison to his willingness to trade in his integrity, disrespect those hundreds of coaches who do honor the rules, and essentially shake hands with the devil, in order to advance whatever team he runs.

youreachiteach
03-14-2007, 08:51 AM
You'd be surprised how many Sampson's there are in college basketball today folks.

Birddog
03-14-2007, 09:11 AM
to me, is a survivor. A good coach and a really good communicator and motivator. Popular as a person. Intense.

Sooners had a love/hate relationship with Kelvin. Virtually all the local scribes and talking heads liked him, probably because he played the game so well. He'd drop the various tidbits to the reporters, and they would report favorably. He was a master of the symbiotic, no make that incestuous relationship that coaches have with reporters.

To the fans, he came across as sometimes arrogant, and often condescending, not good traits anywhere, esp to the know it all Sooner fans. Smug and sanctimonious are two adj.s that come to mind when describing Sampson. As a motivator, I dunno, he ran a lot of players off, esp in the later years, so I think maybe that was a wash. Kelvin was best at taking good players and making them better with hard work. He did not handle the high level recruits all that well.

His teams always played good defense albeit an almost dirty style. Lots of pushing, pulling, banging, all legal mind you, but borderline. Like his "advanced work ethic", he encouraged his teams to do the same on the court. If you aren't whistled for it, it must be OK. The "General", no saint himself, has really bad feelings about Kelvin, and hasn't been too quiet about it either. I don't think many people here in OK would list Kelvin as someone they'd like to go have a few beers with, and they wouldn't have before the NCAA infractions either.

OU Pres. Boren was totally pissed about Cellphonegate, and didn't like Kelvin's responses much either. He sort of implied that the real fault was with the NCAA and too many regulations. After the punishment and before he left, he crowed about the fact that if he had just known how to text message, this whole deal would have been legal (A loophole that still exists BTW). I'm sure Kelvin was told to take a job if it was offered. Boren does not like Negative publicity
Bottomline: he's a Richard (insert nickname here) , but he CAN coach.

Birddog

KoolAidRules
03-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Coach KS has learned his lesson and we have moved on from the subject. The things about Coach KS is that he has embraced the traditions of Indiana Basketball and has a great pulse for how the State of Indiana feels about basketball.

KoolAid recognizes that every person is entitled to their opinion, but this Hoosier rides with Coach KS and he is doing it the right way. We all make mistakes in life and the true test is how you respond after those mistakes.

--KoolAid

youreachiteach
03-14-2007, 10:15 AM
The KoolAid from Sampson and Calapari sure tastes goooooood!!

Angelo Roncalli
03-14-2007, 10:24 AM
KoolAid recognizes that every person is entitled to their opinion, but this Hoosier rides with Coach KS and he is doing it the right way. W

--KoolAid

KoolAid...your real name wouldn't happen to be Rickey Henderson, per chance?

gamagin
03-14-2007, 10:50 AM
re: KS << we have moved on from the subject >>

how far away from a turd does koolaid need to be, and how much sugar does koolaid require on that turd, before it's no longer considered a turd?

TexasZagFan
03-14-2007, 11:17 AM
re: KS << we have moved on from the subject >>

how far away from a turd does koolaid need to be, and how much sugar does koolaid require on that turd, before it's no longer considered a turd?

Three more years without a B1g 10 title and/or a deep run in the NCAA will turn that koolaid into vinegar. 3/4 of the IU faithful are longing for the "Return of the General". Just ask Mike Davis.

KoolAidRules
03-14-2007, 11:32 AM
KoolAid has never been treated with disrespect from the Zag faithful before, but I guess it is a first time for everything.

The thing that KoolAid does not understand is that people can take cheap shots at programs, but it is truly the wrong thing to do. KoolAid knows that people have taken shots at the Zags for the episode with Heytvelt and Davis with drugs, however, it is not the right thing to do. People make mistakes and should be given a second chance.

KoolAid is all about fun and respect on the message boards...Keeping it Classy is always the right thing to do!!!

--KoolAid

sonuvazag
03-14-2007, 11:50 AM
KoolAid has never been treated with disrespect from the Zag faithful before, but I guess it is a first time for everything.

The thing that KoolAid does not understand is that people can take cheap shots at programs, but it is truly the wrong thing to do. KoolAid knows that people have taken shots at the Zags for the episode with Heytvelt and Davis with drugs, however, it is not the right thing to do. People make mistakes and should be given a second chance.

KoolAid is all about fun and respect on the message boards...Keeping it Classy is always the right thing to do!!!

--KoolAid

I disagree. With a few exceptions, I don't think the IU program is under attack here. Kelvin Sampson got his start with our backyard rival WSU and, although it was before my time, the resentment from GU seems to come from old greivances about him. And the occasional jokes about KoolAid's manner of speaking.

ZagNative
03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
KoolAid...your real name wouldn't happen to be Rickey Henderson, per chance?

Angelo's connection of Koolaid with Rickey Henderson drove ZagNative to do some googling, eventually finding the following in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickey_Henderson):

Many stories have been told about Rickey Henderson over the years, both the player and person. He is well known for his malapropisms, being an illeist (for example, calling Padres GM Kevin Towers to inquire about a contract and leaving a message starting "this is Rickey, calling on behalf of Rickey."), and for talking to himself at length when he is up to bat. He has been known to speak to his bats, asking them which one has the next hit inside them.
One widely reported story, however, is by all accounts a fabrication. Supposedly while playing for Seattle in 2000, Henderson went up to John Olerud, and remarked on Olerud's practice of wearing a batting helmet out on the field, noting that "Rickey used to have a teammate in Toronto who did the same thing." To which Olerud was said to have replied, "That was me." The two men had also been together the previous season, with the 1999 New York Mets. The humorous anecdote was much-repeated, but Olerud has denied it ever happened.

"Illeist" was a new word for ZagNative. For a bit of fun while waiting for tipoff for the first game of tomorrow, Zagnative checked out the definition and examples of noted Illeists in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illeist). Good stuff! ZagNative finds that Koolaid is in good company, though the following example of one noted Illeist in the Wikipedia story may sting Koolaid a bit:

Elmo from Sesame Street refers to himself in the third person. In response to the challenge that this will not teach children proper English usage, the Sesame Workshop states that this behaviour "mimics the behavior of many preschoolers".

Oh, and back to the subject at hand, ZagNative believes KS is a scumbag.

sonuvazag
03-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Good research Zagnative. Good for a laugh. George is upset. Elmo wants to know why. Ricky is unhappy... very good company for KoolAid.

soonerterp
03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
In all seriousness, I met Sampson on a few occasions and thought he was an okay guy but I think as the years dragged on, and especially when he couldn't replicate the success he had with players like Eduardo Najera (the only OU alum currently active on an NBA roster) and later Hollis Price (the player who really and truly keyed OU's 2002 and 2003 postseason runs), I think he increasingly became frustrated. That said, that's no excuse to thwart NCAA rules, no matter how stupid those rules might seem to some.

What really bothered people here was that this was apparently going on while Sampson was sitting president of the NABC a few years ago AND had a seat on some NCAA ethics committee at one time.

Another thing to also factor in about Norman is that sports-wise, OU is all about football above everything else (and recently there's been some stuff that OU has had to explain to the NCAA as well), and for a long time I viewed Sampson's violations (and those of his assistants) as being desperate to compete with football for the attention of OU's fanbase (which can admittedly be tunnelvisioned with respect to football vs. everything else). At Indiana Sampson doesn't have to compete with football in quite the same way, and in part I can't help but think that motivated him to take the job.

It has taken some time for me to come to this assessment, really. Sampson kind of left OU in a lurch, especially when players like Scottie Reynolds spurned OU for other places, and a lot of fans here that I know offline kind of resent how its gone, although despite the rough first year under Jeff Capel, have high hopes for him and already feel he's a superior replacement.

Zagpower
03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Another story about Rickey Henderson has him getting on the team bus and a teammate yelled at the rookies in the back of the bus to give their seats up to Rickey because "he has tenure." To which Rickey reportedly replied "Ten Year? Hell, Rickey got fifteen year."

True or not? Who knows, but he is becoming the next Yogi Berra.

KoolAidRules
03-14-2007, 12:27 PM
brought a smile to you Zags today. To call Coach KS a scumbag is a pretty low comment in my opinion, but all people are entitled to write what they truly feel. Calling Coach Sampson a negative word could actually anger the Basketball Gods and they could take it out on Gonzaga tomorrow evening. Be Careful!!!

The Hoosiers Love Kelvin Sampson and that is all that matters!!!

Also, note that KoolAid does not get mad or hold grudges against posters. He loves all Zag Fans!!!

--KoolAid

Nevtelen
03-14-2007, 12:34 PM
I, for one, have nothing but respect for Indiana basketball but nothing but dislike for Sampson. Ah well.

4EVERaZAG
03-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Coach KS is on Jim Rome is Burning next. Should be interesting to here him discuss the past and his upcoming game.

gamagin
03-14-2007, 06:48 PM
missed the kelvinator. what happened ?

thanks