PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sacre

El Voce
11-27-2008, 09:27 PM
A group of us watching the game together -- which included some board regulars and spouses -- were all quite happy with how well Robert Sacre played tonight.

Early Zag foul trouble probably forced Coach Few to play Sacre more than he intended, but Sacre was an asset while on the floor.

Early indications would appear to be that once Sacre rounds into game shape, he will be a much bigger force than he was last season.

zag67
11-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I do agree with the Voice. He played the center of the zone very well and showed he was quick and could move. He did a great job for his first game of the year.

MedZag
11-27-2008, 09:30 PM
He looked rusty in the offenseive sets but he was aggressive on the boards, and yes, I agree, seemed to be moving around very well.

Pleasant surprise.

Nevtelen
11-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Agreed - rusty but improved in the post.

GoZags
11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
On the radio postgame show, Tommy said Rob's nowhere near ready, but they needed him tonight and he really contributed.

Can't wait for the big fella to get into a little better shape.

He will help this season.

kitzbuel
11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't think he looked comfortable in the offensive sets at all. He was not looking to be agressive and look for opportunities, but was looking to pass as soon as he got the ball.

kitzbuel
11-27-2008, 09:38 PM
At least he hit his free throws.

johnwzag
11-27-2008, 09:50 PM

Good point. Sacre's first game in a long while. We have yet to see Sacre. He is big and can scare the offense. Le'ts see what happens.

GPGUgrad
11-27-2008, 10:00 PM
On the radio postgame show, Tommy said Rob's nowhere near ready, but they needed him tonight and he really contributed.

Can't wait for the big fella to get into a little better shape.

He will help this season.

I agree.

jim77
11-27-2008, 10:19 PM
It was nice to see Big rob in there. He did a good job guarding the rim and playing his role due to Josh's foul trouble.

roxdoc
11-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Not only was this his first game - but good grief he was just coming back from major foot surgery. He undoubtedly played more than Few would have wanted right out of the box. With all of that I think he did a credible job of eating up minutes and in all honesty I didn't think there was that much of an offensive fall off tonight when he went in for Josh.

Go Rob - get up to game shape, practice your offense, etc. Tonight showed just how much we need you big guy!

Reborn
11-27-2008, 10:25 PM
A big surprise to see him play. I had to look two and three times because I really didn't think he was going to play. Its funny because there was a thread posted earlier tonight stating that GU would win if? I was going to say if Sacre plays....but thought that would be kind of dumb so I held back. He helped us a lot. Not a great performance but a good one. Hit both foul shots which we can't say about many tonight.

TacomaZAG
11-27-2008, 10:32 PM
back in action. Rusty, yes, not in game shape, yes, but still in there contributing. We are really going to need him when Josh gets in early foul trouble, especially when Austin is in foul trouble early also.

Go Rob.

Go ZAGS

ZagNut08
11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Great to see him play, especially since him entering the game meant Will leaving the game

He is going to give us a much needed banger inside who can clear some space and grab boards.

75Zag
11-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Good effort for 1st game back. We are going to need him tonight in order to try and manage Dave Neal. Neal's 270 pounds and 17 points pretty well toasted Michigan State last night. Will be very interesting to see what happens this afternoon.

El Voce
11-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Sacre was even better today against the Terps than he was yesterday against OSU. It's nice to see him playing so hard and so well.

mtzaga
11-28-2008, 05:14 PM

You beat me to it. Robert is a pretty good FT shooter.

RenoZag
11-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Sacre was even better today against the Terps than he was yesterday against OSU. It's nice to see him playing so hard and so well.

He can really fill up the paint. . .

Nevtelen
11-28-2008, 05:17 PM
When Josh was not really being a presence in the paint in the first half, Sacre was our man down low getting it done. I hope he's 100% before UConn.

ebayzagfan
11-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Sacre's best assets are 1)his size, and 2) his enthusiasm on the court. He obviously can clog up the lane defensively, alter shots, and rebound well. He has a decent touch on his foul shots, which is a plus as he will likely get to the line regularly. It's apparent to me that his footwork needs improvement before he can become much of an offensive threat. He gets himself into some awkward positions from which it becomes nearly impossible to shoot with accuracy. I'm sure the coaches are working with Rob on this.

Ya gotta luv his intensity on the court. He will be needed on those nights when Josh and/or Austin get into early foul trouble.

MickMick
11-28-2008, 05:24 PM
He is a brute. A big, bad brute.

kitzbuel
11-28-2008, 05:29 PM
He did a great job today. He looked much more aggressive.

jim77
11-28-2008, 05:37 PM
I loved that rebound with "Double elbow swing" its very effective at clearing the ball. I also loved the way he DID NOT put the ball on the floor on his dunk. The kid is doing great considering it hasn't been that long since surgery...GREAT JOB ROB!

ebayzagfan
11-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Good point Jim, re: not "checking the air" on the dunk. A lot of big men can never resist this. The double elbow swing is effective, but potentially dangerous. I recall the commentator bringing up the fact that refs can blow the whistle for this even if no contact? Anyone know the rule on that? Thx,

BobZag
11-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Very proud of Rob. Ebayzag hit the nail on the head. Zags will need him.

I like how Ira! has come along, too.

bigblahla
11-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Very proud of Rob. Ebayzag hit the nail on the head. Zags will need him.I like how Ira! has come along, too.

Rob is showing us what the future is going to look like but what I'm excited about is that we are truly nine deep with athletes who can really play this game.

Go!! zags!!!

gamagin
11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
to his task. I think he's our best (%) ft shooter this tourney, too. And that could be a big plus when foes try to stop him underneath.

john montana
11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Rob is going to be a big help this year. He's a load down low.

btzag
11-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Was Foster dressed for this game or out of action? Saw him only a couple times during timeouts and seemed to be in street clothes...can anyone confirm or deny?

Either way I think it's fairly obvious that Sacre is an important role player this year as the backup at the 5. Without him we get pretty small even though we can still provide matchup problems with Downs/Daye/Ira. I thought Sacre was OK especially with the layoff and hopefully can continue to develop offensively as the year goes along.

Unbiased
11-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Was Foster dressed for this game or out of action? Saw him only a couple times during timeouts and seemed to be in street clothes...can anyone confirm or deny? .

He was dressed for the game, just did not play.

btzag
11-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Hmmm, weird warmups... Kind of feel bad for the guy as I don't think he's going to get a shot, especially when you don't get more than a minute or two in a 3 game/4 day tourney. I guess that explains all the experimenting with weird lineups in the post. Thanks for the info.

ZagsGoZags
11-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Rob's defensive game has definitely improved since last year, and he seems to have a little more 'game sense' on offense. When he went in for the dunk, he knew he would have to blow through hands in front of him, and expected contact, got contact, and still made the shot. Batista was so good at that, and Rob is strong enough.

He still reminds me of an adolescent stallion, hopefully still at the early stages of a big learning curve

I don't know if he will ever develop soft offensive hands. His value alone as a defender is worth every pound of him, and lots of minutes, IMO

roxdoc
11-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Dont look now but Rob has a higher pts/game ave than Ira!

I know, I know... points aren't everything and Ira! is a really big plus for the team. Just sayin!

It sure is nice that we have 4 players off the bench (incl Rob) that can play significant minutes, in a credible fashon. Any one of them with 4 starters and there is no, to very little fall off in team performance.

calizag
11-28-2008, 11:27 PM
sacre is a bit raw especially in posting up, but he works hard and is a big body and i think he will come good, if not this year, next year...

Birddog
11-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I was screaming FINISH when he missed that putback, but he came back and made a nice flush on his next chance and hit those freethrows. I'm liking what I'm seeing, esp in light of his injury. He must have been shooting a ton of free throws while re-habbing.

Oregon Zag
11-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I was very impressed with Rob. He gives the team more depth. Early play now is really going to benefit the team down the road. He seems to draw quite a few fouls so those free throws are extremely important. I look forward to watching the big guy get better and better. Go Sacre!

OZZag
11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Great to see the big guy back on the court. As I mentioned in a previous thread for the team to go to the next level (top 8 +) we need him to be able to contribute up to 20 minutes (in a pinch) as a dominating defensive presence> He gives us 5 extra fouls and a bit of mongrel attitude. This year any points he scores is a bonus.

My prediction is that next year Rob will be playing 25-30 minutes a game and flirting with double/doubles. In WCC play he should be the dominant centre with Josh, Samhan and Bryant out of the picture.