PDA

View Full Version : Collison Injury

Ziggy
03-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Darren Collison suffered a grade one sprain on the left ankle
during Tuesday's practice, reported on ESPN.com by Andy Katz.
Anyone with medical knowledge have any comments on this?
What grade of sprain did Sean suffer? What impact will this have on Thursday's game even if he can play?

Angelo Roncalli
03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
From WebMD:

Grade one means that you have just stretched the ankle ligaments. Grade two involves more swelling, stretching and sometimes partial tearing of the ligaments. Generally, patients with a Grade two sprain have to take two to seven days off from participating in their athletic activity. Grade three is the most severe type of ankle/ligament sprain and indicates that the ligaments have been torn completely or even torn off the bone.

IrishZag
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM
If I remember correctly from personal injury experiences Grade 1 is the least severe of ankle sprains i.

Grade 1 indicates that there is no significant ligament or tendon damage in the form of tearing.

It amounts to sprained ligaments, some brusing, a lot of swelling, and quite a bit of discomfort. Not a good injury to have when you have a lot of games in a short amount of time. Severity does vary but I imagine he can play with it, especially with proper treatent. But it will definitely slow him down a step especially on defense and cutting.

bayzag09
03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Anything to slow that kid down.....sheesh

lothar98zag
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Anything to slow that kid down.....sheesh
He's probably still the fastest guy on the court even w/ the sprained ankle...

RenoZag
03-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Link to ESPN story re: Collison

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney07/news/story?id=2797762

Also news on Villanova's PG:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney07/news/story?id=2797691

And Arkansas' Thomas:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney07/news/story?id=2797837

CDC84
03-14-2007, 07:36 AM
UCLA could probably not even play Collison in their opening round game and still win handily. It might be a tempting idea........

SteeleMan
03-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Collison sat out against W. Virginia with a bumb shoulder resulting in a Bruin loss. It would would be huge if he couldn't go when they meet up with the Zags on Saturday.

zaglawdad
03-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Collison is listed as probable so I would imagine that he would start. Even if he sits out, Westbrook is an adequate temporary replacement. In the W. Virginia game the Bruins not only lost Collison, but Mata sat out the second half also. With Westbrook, Afflalo, Roll, and Shipp, the Bruins have plenty of options at the guard spot.

Sacto
03-14-2007, 10:17 AM
If Collison does have any kind of ankle injury and plays tommorow expect Weber to exploit it as much as possible. They have very quick guards. We will know very early on how serious this is. UCLA fans don't expect to get out of the first weekend without a healthy Collison. I tend to agree with them.