PDA

View Full Version : It's shoulder surgery for Gibbs

FuManShoes
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Shame this kid has to deal with the injury bug. Luckily, he's not a pitcher and should recover from this and cheer the team on in the process.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8775#more

VinnyZag
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Shame this kid has to deal with the injury bug.

I guess that means he's officially a Zag now.

MickMick
11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Tough luck Grant. Hope it heals up like new.

MedZag
11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Been through 2 torn labrum surgeries myself, both on the same shoulder. I was a year older than Gibbs when I went through the first one (ironically the same mechanism of injury, dislocation, though not in a basketball game.) I was in pretty good shape before the first one and bounced back in a hurry. I was back to 75% within 2 months and 100% within 8, and I didn't have nearly the same level of rehab/PT/treatment as I'm sure he'll get.

His shoulder will be back to 100%. This isn't one of those chronic injuries.

duper
11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
I beg to differ. 90% of men who suffer a dislocation before the age of 20 suffer at least 1 other dislocation. Hopefully it will not be a problem for Gibbs.

MedZag
11-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I beg to differ. 90% of men who suffer a dislocation before the age of 20 suffer at least 1 other dislocation. Hopefully it will not be a problem for Gibbs.

The data is highly inconsistent, namely due to the small sample sizes of these sort of highly focused studies and the criteria of what is constituted as "recurrence of injury". Haven't heard 90%, but I've heard everything from 20% to 75%. From what I remember in ortho clinic, the consensus the orthopod I was working with said was something around a 50% recurrence rate of dislocation in patients under 22, 25% in 22-29, and 15% >30. I also seem to recall that recurrent instability issues were higher in young patients whose injury was not traumatic and received non-surgical intervention. Surgery was actually a good prognosticator for improvement in recurrence. I was particularly interested in this subject cause of my previous medical history.

With a quick search on PubMed, a recent study published in July that structured its study to only include the outcome of a "traumatic dislocation" (i.e. necessitating another arthroscopy) demonstrated recurrence rates as low as 10% in young adults. I think that's an important distinction, because not all dislocations result in an injury requiring surgery.

CelticZag
11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Shot out to Dr. Alan Alyea of Spokane, WA for fixing my torn labrum (SLAP IV) and getting me back to 100% in under a year. I've got some ugly scars but it's well worth it. My repaired shoulder actually feels better than my "healthy" one, although it does make some strange creaking noises.

If Gibbs' surgery is anything like mine, that kid is going to be in for some deep, bone-throbbing pain for a couple of months. Ouch. I had a sling for 6 weeks that was extremely uncomfortable because of the traction strap that goes around the waist. Sleeping is terrible. His grades will suffer. Coupled with the winter blues, he's going to be in for quite a ride. However, for someone that doesn't like painkillers, the Vicodin and muscle relaxers sure were a godsend. They also made seeing Iron Man way more fun. :D

229SintoZag
11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Can someone tell my why all of our stars seem to get injured while underclassmen in our program?

Is it something they serve at the COG?

Seems we have a higher rate of injury than other schools, and I wonder if that is true, and if so, why.

duper
11-24-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not a doctor but I just went through a shoulder dislocation and that is what I was told by my doctor. Also researched it alot.
:link: www.emedicinehealth.com/shoulder_dislocation/article_em.htm

look at outlook

LinnMarZag
11-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the update. Sad news for Grant, especially coming on the heels of last year. Heres to a long but full recovery.

cjm720
11-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Get better, Mr. Gibbs!

GO ZAGS!!!

BobZag
11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
He hopefully will be playing pick-up games at full-speed come Spring through Summer and into next Fall. Till then, if I'm Grant, I soak in all the coaching, and even walk through the various sets. I also study film. Lots to learn that doesn't require a healthy labrum.

Kids his age heal fast and bounce back quick.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Keep ya head up, Double G!!

HillBillyZag
11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
You will have the top medical care available and when you are ready to go the BEST coaching in the Country. Use the recuperation to your advantage, do all you can with your hoops game & hit the books. You are in our prayers! You are a Zag. "When it gets too rough for the rest of them, its just right for us!".

lothar98zag
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Sucks.

But if it had to happen, at least it's during the RS year and not later after he's already RS-ed.

ZagNut08
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Bet he is going to have some rust to shake off after missing 2 years of playing due to injury

ZagManFan
11-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Well, not all operations go well. I had Labrum surgery over a year ago and I would say that normal everyday things are 95%, but I play a ton of softball and the throwing motion is maybe 75%. I play basketball as well and even going for a rebound can be painfull if the arm gets tweaked the wrong way.

I truely hope that Grant heals better than I did. Of course I think my PT lady let me go a little to early:mad: