PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the OSC bracket for me?

thespywhozaggedme
11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm going to be at our game Thursday night, but I have no idea how to read this thing. Which game will we be in next if we win, or God forbid if we lose, and then which game after that? Thanks

http://www.oldspiceclassic.com/pdfs/08Bracket.pdf

Zag4Hire
11-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm going to be at our game Thursday night, but I have no idea how to read this thing. Which game will we be in next if we win, or God forbid if we lose, and then which game after that? Thanks

http://www.oldspiceclassic.com/pdfs/08Bracket.pdf

If Zags win, Game 7 is the next matchup of the winner of Maryland/MSU.
If Zags lose, Game 8 is the next matchup of the loser of Maryland/MSU.
The right side is the progression of the teams that keep winning and the left side is the consolation side. Looks like each team gets three games. What's interesting is that it looks like if a team loses, they are relegated to playing games on ESPNU, which many would be unable to view.

lothar98zag
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
...What's interesting is that it looks like if a team loses, they are relegated to playing games on ESPNU, which many would be unable to view.
If GU wins vs Ok St, they will then have 2 games on E$PN/E$PN2
If GU loses vs Ok St they will then have 2 games on E$PNU

Day 1 = Ok St
Day 2 = MSU or Maryland
Day 3 = Tenn, Seina, Wi St, or Gtown

If GU finishes 3-0, GU wins the tourney
If GU loses 1 or more games they don't win the tourney (2nd-8th)

CDC84
11-24-2008, 12:38 PM
What's interesting is that it looks like if a team loses, they are relegated to playing games on ESPNU, which many would be unable to view.

Normally with these tournaments the organizers reward the 1st day winners by letting them play the late game. The Oklahoma State/Gonzaga game is not going to end until 11pm EDT at the earliest. It would make more sense for, say, Gonzaga and Michigan State to play at 8pm EDT on ESPNU if they win their 1st round games. It will allow the teams more time to rest and prepare.

Zag4Hire
11-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Based on the looks of that bracket, it could just as well be the other way around. Normally with these tournaments the organizers reward the 1st day winners by letting them play the late game. The Oklahoma State/Gonzaga game is not going to end until until 11pm EDT at the earliest.

On the right side, it says 'CHAMPION' and it says nothing on the left side. Also the times on the right look more in tune with the championship such as Game 12 being the last game of the tournament.

GolfZag
11-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Also, teams that lose their first two games will go to game #9 and teams that win then lose go to game #11.

The only way we will be on ESPNU is if we lose to OK St.

Akzag
11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
To be fair, they did a pretty half-assed job on the bracket (My attempt to simplify it follows, from multiple sources).

Day 1 - Thursday

Game 1 - Tenn - Siena - noon (all ET) ESPN2
Game 2 - Wichita St - Georgetown - 2pm (yeah right) ESPN2
Game 3 - Maryland - Michigan St - 7pm ESPN2
Game 4 - Ok. St - Gonzaga - 9pm (again, it ain't gonna be 9) ESPN2

Day 2 - Friday

Game 5 - Loser Game 1 v. Loser Game 2 - 10:30am ESPNU
Game 6 - Winner Game 1 v. Winner Game 2 - 1:00pm ESPN
Game 7 - Winner Game 3 v. Winner Game 4 - 5:30pm ESPN
Game 8 - Loser Game 3 v. Loser Game 4 - 8:00pm ESPNU

Day 3 - Sunday

Game 9 - Loser Game 5 v. Loser Game 8 (7th/8th place) 10:30am - ESPNU
Game 10 - Winner Game 5 v. Winner Game 8 (4/6) - 12:30pm (nope ...) ESPNU
Game 11 - Loser Game 6 v. Loser Game 7 (3/5) - 5:30pm ESPN2
Game 12 - Winner Game 6 v. Winner Game 7 (1/2) - 7:30pm (really, it won't start until closer to 8) ESPN2

An interesting thing that CDC alluded to, typically in this kind of tourny set-up, there are morning and evening sessions (each with two games). The first day's winners, again typically, would all then play in the day two's evening session receiving the "reward" of extra rest / preparation.

In this case, the Siena - Tennessee winner vs. Wich St. - Georgetown winner, will be the second game in the morning session. I'm sure ESPN had their reasons for it - whether to squeeze the winners' bracket games inside their other programming, or in a hope to ensure better sales at the Day 2 morning session, as one of the semis will be taking place then.

I will say that it was nice of them to place two of the 'western" teams in the late game on Thursday. But that also makes sense financially for them, viewership wise.

But bank it, there is no way that Games 2, 4, 10, 12 are going to start at their scheduled times. You can't compress a full game AND a mandatory 20-minute warm up period for the next game into a two-hour time spot. Plan accordingly.

Akzag
11-24-2008, 02:12 PM
fwiw - I agree with you. They could have done a better job (as well as a worse one). At least most people have access to ESPN to record / DVR / not rely on radio, etc.

CDC84
11-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I know some people don't get ESPNU, but if GU wins its first game, a heck of a lot of people on this board will not be able to watch their 2nd round game live as they'll be at work. Also, if that 2nd round matchup ends up being Gonzaga and Michigan State, that game has national interest that extends well beyond the two schools who will be involved. It isn't very often that you see two top 10 teams square off during the non-league season. Such a meaningful game deserves prime time treatment.

Akzag
11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
well, I will be one of those people who will be working, "enjoying" the multimedia experience that is cstv, live, and also not happy about it. But at least I'll have access to these boards to commisserate with other deprived souls.

lothar98zag
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
I know some people don't get ESPNU, but if GU wins its first game, a heck of a lot of people on this board will not be able to watch their 2nd round game live as they'll be at work. Also, if that 2nd round matchup ends up being Gonzaga and Michigan State, that game has national interest that extends well beyond the two schools who will be involved. It isn't very often that you see two top 10 teams square off during the non-league season. Such a meaningful game deserves prime time treatment.
At least day 2 is a day that most non-retail workers get/take off...