PDA

View Full Version : Why Gonzaga beats Indiana Thursday

BobZag
03-13-2007, 05:36 PM
This won't be nearly as fun, and I was tempted to post a big "Forfeit" sign, but I know humor is at a premium in this all-too-serious world we live in, so I opted for the ol' straight-forward post.

----------------------------------

On offense, I believe it's imperative that GU gets a healthy mid-range game going, be it Raivio curling and pulling up for the 16 footer, Pendo picking and popping, Micah running floaters on drives, Pargo (see Micah)... Everyone but Kuso has this ability.

Sure, if an open three is there and confidence is flowing, let 'er rip. But I am not a fan of falling in love with 3-point shooting. I think GU took almost 40 of them at LMU. And you know the result.

Bouldin should post up no less than ten times. No guard or wing can defend his moves down low, and if IU wises up and runs a big (White) over to swat Matt, GU runs a cutter to the basket that Matt can pass to for a layin/dunk, preferably Pendo, Downs, Pargo...

Micah absolutely needs to drive and dish/kick-out. Not every time. If an opening is there, make like Gale Sayers and take it all the way, but know that Raivio and others are ready to fire away if things clog up for Micah driving.

Pargo has to do what's described for Micah, but I feel Jeremy must assert himself (see Stanford game) and become someone who can make big plays during any scoring droughts, and there always seems to be one or two of those dry spells in each game.

Scoring and all the little things from Pendo; Kuso being a beast on the glass (please keep your feet, man) and being a garbage man; Mallon utilizing mid-ranger and attacking the hoop, giving IU fouls. If Pierre can give GU some points and just help run the offense, that's a bonus.

Against such a tough, physical defense GU's offense must, 1) not turning it over umpteen times, 2) be efficient with execution, 3) and perhaps most importantly be strong and decisive with the ball.

On defense, I'll keep it shorter.

Handle DJ White like GU handled SCU's bigs. Stick on IU's guards like Hondo on a Katz's Deli sandwich. Switch defenses. Treat rebounds as if they are million dollar bills. Try to force bad shots, ie, press fullcourt.

In summary:

Be the hunter.
Be hungry.
Want it more.
Play smart.

If the Zags do none of the above--

http://humanities.byu.edu/elc/student/idioms/idioms/images/throw_in_towel.jpg

I couldn't resist. ;)

HRZag
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Wear those beautiful BLUE uniforms. Red and we are dead.

sonuvazag
03-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Wear those beautiful BLUE uniforms. Red and we are dead.

So true.

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 06:38 PM
There's only one reason I believe (not know) that GU will overcome IU and that is a simple reason: I believe in The Zags!!! I've believed in them from the first day all the way up until this very minute. And i will believe in them on Thursday. I don't believe in Hoosiers!!! At least NOT THIS YEAR!!!

This team has the chemistry that I haven't seen since '99. It just does, and it's getting better with each game. Talent is the smallest element in measuring the worth of a team and it's value. Chemistry is a priceless ingrediant. And this year's Zag team has Chemistry in abundance...and it's getting better with each game.

I will also say that these Zags are a heck of a lot tougher then they look. Bob is right...defense wins, and it has been our defense that has been winning games lately. For instance...Danny P. was 1-8 in the WCC championship game, and the point guard wasn't much better. I think we also held Hansborough to like 8 or 9 points. And how about Stuckey and Almond. People tend to forget the great defense the Zags have played this year.

And finally we will win because we are better on offense. People just haven't realized how good the Zags are YET. But wait.....

We will win because we have Pendo, Kuso, (The Gladiators) Pargo (The Ninja Gladiator) and Bouldin the Magician, and the three Ninja's: Drav, PMAC and Downs. And that leaves The One and Only Ninja Turtle, Sean Mallon....Better known in these parts around here as The Hoosier Hose Eater!!! I feel the same way I did when we Played Santa Clara. The Hoosiers will not know what hits them until it's too late...............They aren't prepared for the FUEGO of this Zag team.

gozagswoohoo
03-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I was waitin for someone to start this thread! Good job reborn!

We will win because...Drav is gon step it up. He knows his career is on the line. He wants to go out like a stud, and him will, oh yes, him will...

(plus, Bouldin and Downs will want to come IN like studs)

bia bia!

Zagster
03-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Guards Guards Guiards . . . . We got GUARDS WHO CAN FLAT OUT PLAY !

We are doomed . .. .

WE ALSO HAVE A kUSO, Downs, Sean, Foster, Berguss, Pendo . . .etc.

We are doomed . . .

Go Zags!

BobZag
03-14-2007, 08:11 AM
You see? 6 posts on this thread. 6000 on the other.

Go Zags!

sonuvazag
03-14-2007, 08:14 AM
*** the sound of crickets ***

Zag79
03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
someone get BZ on the bench, with that analysis we win for sure! :D

DenDiegoZag
03-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Bouldin should post up no less than ten times. No guard or wing can defend his moves down low, and if IU wises up and runs a big (White) over to swat Matt, GU runs a cutter to the basket that Matt can pass to for a layin/dunk, preferably Pendo, Downs, Pargo...

I love this idea...The back-cut out of the double team, which Sampson is certainlly going to do if Bouldin starts posting it up...Easy buckets will cause the Indiana players to start to overthink things...And we all know that overthinking by IU = GU Victory...One day and Counting...I cannot wait...GO ZAGS!!!

LA Zag
03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Please tell me if this is just me. I look at my completed Tournament Pick'em and I see 8 teams in the Sweet 16 that we have played. I would call that very good scheduling in preparation for this year's tournament. Does this (potentially) mean that we played half of the top 16 teams in the country? Wow, that's a one tough schedule.

So why is our strength of schedule score so low??? How many other teams can say this? Did I just pick these teams because I saw them play against us? This could be, that's why I need to hear if others see the same thing on their "pick'em."

Okay, so we only beat one of those teams, but I say we win Thursday because we are more ready for this tournament than any other team in it.

Kiddwell
03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Harass, harass, harass...

[A wise sage once said, "Do not hesitate. Show no mercy."]

:]

kitzbuel
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I believe in The Zags!!! .

I hope you are believing in the Zags harder than the Indiana fans are believing in the Hoosiers! If not, then we might actually have to rely on our team to play better than their team!

:)

Mr Mallon is my pick to be the Hoosier killer again and I do NOT plan on having his super babies!

sonuvazag
03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I hope you are believing in the Zags harder than the Indiana fans are believing in the Hoosiers! If not, then we might actually have to really on our team to play better than their team!

I thought the same thing.

History lesson: Believing in the crusaders in the middle ages didn't work, but the Russian winter, fire bombing, and atomic warfare did in WW II.

Translation: Pendo and the mountain men win by outbombing the Hoosiers.

4EVERaZAG
03-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Why Gonzaga beats Indiania? The answer is simple Eric Gordon isn't there yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNQRKsZYXZ8

He will be an impact freshmen next year ala Durant.

RebornZag
03-14-2007, 07:52 PM
As good as IU is on defense (yes I know they held Adam to 14 last year but Mallon got 15) they will have a tough time defending the multiple set/Mark few Flex offenses. In the last 5 games we have 4 guys averaging in double figures: Drav 17.5, Downs 16, Pendo 13 and Bouldin at 11.5. Matt Bouldin is really coming on with a variety of ways to score. I hate to say this about a Freshman but when Matt is scoring we usually win. I think he is healthy right now (finally) and is looking like he did at the beginning of the year (finally). In the final Analysis Gonzaga can and will score more points then IU.