PDA

View Full Version : Zags' Defense

zaguarxj
03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Is it my imagination, or have the Zags been playing more man defense lately? Seems like it started when they put PMAC on Deregotis and went man-to-man, which worked really well. Has anyone else been paying close enough attention to tell me if they're really playing more man late this season?

BobZag
03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Much more m-t-m defense with occasional zone. It will be interesting to see if m-t-m defense was best suited for slower WCC teams, or if the guys can do it just as effectively on more athletic teams like IU.

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Good eyes. BZ is right on. Gonzaga has seen great shooting guards in the WCC. DeRogatis is as good as I think we'll see anywhere. The San Francisco guards are great too. The thing I think we'll have to adjust to against IU is not their offense, but their defense. They will play very, very tough and that will prepare us for UCLA. I think Pargo is going to cause IU a very intense stress related headache. They will deny Raivio as most do (unless they get overconfident in themselves and their ability to stop Derek one on one). I think they need to ask themselves how they will stop our offense.....How will they match up to Downs....Pendo? GU's flex is going to rip their tight defense apart.....I love to watch the Zags tear teams up with our passing....Oh...by the way...who's going to guard Bouldin at 6'5"...Look for Matt to continue to post up their smaller guards....I don't believe IU can score in the 70's and GU will.....

beatProgram
03-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Is it my imagination, or have the Zags been playing more man defense lately? Seems like it started when they put PMAC on Deregotis and went man-to-man, which worked really well. Has anyone else been paying close enough attention to tell me if they're really playing more man late this season?

That scheme looked more like a junk zone to me. Like when they used to run the 4+1 with Errol Knight as the rover. They looked to do the same thing, but replaced Knight with PMAC and ran the other guys in a box or 3-1. I can't recall for sure now.

Either way. I like the man-to-man or junk schemes better than the 2-3 and 3-2 that's killed us against skilled teams all season.

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
I do realize PMAC was playing between 7-10 minutes a game...I think he may have been asking what we play the other 30 minutes. Also I've never heard of this Junk defense.....could you explain it a little more in detail....sounds kind of interesting....

beatProgram
03-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Junk defenses are defenses in which you alter a traditional scheme (like various zone, m-t-m, and pressure schemes) to cope with a single threat on the opposing team.

Box and 1 is what I thought I saw GU dropping into against USD and DeRogatis.

That's where you set 4 guys in a box zone. 2 covering the post and 2 covering the top of the key. Then you take the most athletic defender on the team as the "and 1" and run him around man-to-man smothering the killer shooting threat. This would have been PMAC and DeRogatis, respectively.

EL MUSTACIO
03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
The Zags play defense????
I didn't know that
o ya, AMMO is gone. Makes total sense