PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting rankings

dnj116
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Once again Gonzaga is not amongst the top teams in the country as far as recruiting classes go. When I look at the list of the top recruiting classes a trend seems to emerge to me:
Some of these schools consistently bring in the top talent in the country, but why are some of them not perrenial top 25 teams? I see that our recruiting classes once again, as always seems to find these "diamonds in the rough" that either slip by some of these other schools or that we see as raw talents waiting to blossom.
Getting a top recruit is one thing. Developing a future a top college player is another. The way that all our guy fit into our system, play like a team, act as a family, all say more than these "top classes" that never seems to produce. Way to go Few and co. and I'm happy that once again after this year, it's not a rebuilding, but a reloading!!!!

MickMick
11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Does a women have to be an elite supermodel to be beautiful? The most beautiful women I have personally seen is a housewife.

But wait a second...she can't be that beautiful. She isn't on the cover of "Vogue."

Or is it in the eye of the beholder?

cggonzaga
11-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I've convinced myself this is a top 25 class if Arop and Kong were from the States. We don't even know who the other 2 will be yet so it still could be a top 25 class come spring. Agree completely that the coaching staff does as good a job here as anywhere in the country at developing players.

Robzagnut
11-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Some of these schools consistently bring in the top talent in the country, but why are some of them not perrenial top 25 teams? I see that our recruiting classes once again, as always seems to find these "diamonds in the rough" that either slip by some of these other schools or that we see as raw talents waiting to blossom.

Getting a top recruit is one thing. Developing a future a top college player is another. The way that all our guy fit into our system, play like a team, act as a family, all say more than these "top classes" that never seems to produce. Way to go Few and co. and I'm happy that once again after this year, it's not a rebuilding, but a reloading!!!!

One of the main differences in that Few brings in a lot of 4 year players. It is much better to have 'lesser' talents that will stay for four years to bring experience and stability to a program than to get a 'one and done' and have to do it all over again next year.

Duke had their best teams when Coach K had players who stayed 3 or 4 years. Guys like Hurley, Battier, Laettner and Grant Hill.

bullzag23
11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Some of these schools consistently bring in the top talent in the country, but why are some of them not perrenial top 25 teams?

*cough* UW Huskies *cough*

I feel the team from the west side of the state is a prime example of this phenomenon. It seems like most of the last few years Romar's recruiting classes have been highly touted, but that seems to matter very little. I understand that he's had one and dones(or only 1?), but imo Romar is not very good at developing the talent that he brings in.

On the flip side, John Calipari brings in top 25 classes each year and he seems to do a much better job of developing players' skills and molding them to fit with the team system.

GUZagDenver
11-21-2008, 12:42 PM
It's the same in every sport. The reason Notre Dame is trash in college football. They have a top 10 recruiting class every year and are terrible on the field. They have a terrible coach. It's all about the coaches who find great players under the radar. Mike Leach at Texas Tech in football, Mark Few, John Bielein, Bob McKillop in basketball are just a few examples.

CDC84
11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I agree with cggonzaga regarding Kong and Arop.

I've seen Demetri Goodson play two games so far, but based on what I have seen, I would take him in a heartbeat over more heralded PG's like Jerime Anderson (#31, scout.com), who has hardly seen the floor at UCLA, as well as UNC's Larry Drew Jr. (#68, scout.com).

JAGzag
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm not too worried about the rankings. Yes, it's nice to say you have player "X" like we did with Austin, but with the Zags the coaches find players that fit the system both physically and mentally. UW really is the perfect example of grabbing talent and doing absolutely nothing with it. Just because a player is good doesn't mean he belongs at your school.

Larrylegend
11-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Last time I checked basketball is a T-E-A-M sport. It isn't about having the five best players on the court... it's about having the five who play best together.

BobZag
11-21-2008, 05:42 PM
When all is said and done for the 2009 Zags class, I'm pretty sure it'll be looked at as top-25.

I'd take USD's Rob Jones over 99% of other PFs. And he was hardly known.

thespywhozaggedme
11-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I've convinced myself this is a top 25 class if Arop and Kong were from the States. We don't even know who the other 2 will be yet so it still could be a top 25 class come spring. Agree completely that the coaching staff does as good a job here as anywhere in the country at developing players.

100% correct. Manny and BK would be Mickey D'rs if they were American.

Vanzagger
11-21-2008, 07:57 PM
When all is said and done for the 2009 Zags class, I'm pretty sure it'll be looked at as top-25.

I'd take USD's Rob Jones over 99% of other PFs. And he was hardly known.

good point

vz