PDA

View Full Version : What is it with the Kool Aid stuff....

Reborn
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Could anyone explain to me what it means specifically? Where does this phrase come from? It seems to be assigned anytime a few fans say something really positive about the Zags. If that is so, the Kool Aid club seems to be growing this year. I'd be interested in how many of you fans feel like you're part of this infamous Kool Aid fan club?

I remember the first time that label was applied to me. It was back in the good ol days when I DARED say that The Zags were an Elite Basketball program. That was a time when no one, but a dare devil rookie blogger, would dare use the word ELITE on this board in reference to the Zags.

I also remember when I really started getting behind Jeremy Pargo that same idiotic saying was thrown at me. It didn't stick then and it's not going to stick now. Now we are wondering if Pargo can get a tripple double. I say he will. Call me Kool Aid if you want. Here's to Pargo getting it too.

And now I get it because I have some good thoughts about Ira Brown. I wish a few of you would come up with a better defense of your opinions than your junior highish name calling campaign against some folks who may not agree with your opinions. Rather then telling other GU fans to "tone down" their optimism or to take your "suggestion" and lower his expectations of a player to match your negative one, why don't you just listen to what others say and respond with some objectivity as Demian did.

There just may be other fans on this board who also know a thing or two about basketball. There are a fair number of people who will not post here or will only rarely post here, because they anticipate the slam dunks that, imo, too often take place. I enjoy hearing from new people who come here to share, and I think we should do more to help them continue to come here and post. I thought Demian's post was sound and objective, backed up by some examples that he saw last year. New blood is always good for any group of people, and quite frankly groups survive because of new people who come into the group. I hope our Board will continue to grow in size and in diversity of opinions.

ZagSlug
11-20-2008, 09:34 PM
From your friend Wikipedia...

The saying "Do not drink the Kool-Aid" now commonly refers to the Jonestown tragedy, meaning "Do not trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side," or "Whatever they tell you, do not believe it too strongly."[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-Aid#cite_note-5)

Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O%27Reilly_%28commentator%29) is known for using the term in this manner.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-Aid#cite_note-6)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-Aid#cite_note-6)
Having "drunk the Kool-Aid" also refers to being a strong or fervent believer in a particular philosophy or mission wholeheartedly or blindly believing in its virtues.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2008, 02:42 AM
'Born---Kool Aid is just shorthand for a pollyanna (woops, another shorthand phrase)...nothing hurtful implied, just a lil smack (yet another).....basically someone or a pov that seems to go beyond the reasonable and measured or takes things without question or skepticism....usually hyper-optimistic, over-praising.....dont worry about it, you just be you....we need as many KA drinkers here as gloom and doomers....

kitzbuel
11-21-2008, 05:43 AM
It is generally expected that the GU Boards will serve up quite a bit of Zag kool-aid, it is sort of the motherspring.

maineblackbear
11-21-2008, 06:18 AM
its routine. on the Maineblackbear hockey boards there was a thread for months entitled "Will the real kool-aid drinkers stand up?" (Maine hockey had a very bad year last year-- some people, like me, who had the temerity to predict any improvement received the kool-aid label.)

Its snarky and funny (both) even if disrespectful of those who died at Jonestown.

mbb

jbslicer
11-21-2008, 06:48 AM
http://blogs.kxly.com/blog/2008/11/18/following-in-my-fathers-footsteps/

Jim Jones was the grandfather of USD's Rob Jones.

former1dog
11-21-2008, 06:54 AM
'Born---Kool Aid is just shorthand for a pollyanna (woops, another shorthand phrase)...nothing hurtful implied, just a lil smack (yet another).....basically someone or a pov that seems to go beyond the reasonable and measured or takes things without question or skepticism....usually hyper-optimistic, over-praising.....dont worry about it, you just be you....we need as many KA drinkers here as gloom and doomers....

A more interesting question to me is, Has Jazz started to drink the Pargo Kool Aid? :D ;)

kitzbuel
11-21-2008, 06:57 AM
I don't think Jazz drinks kool-aid. Doesn't he prefer Napa cabs?

jazzdelmar
11-21-2008, 07:01 AM
f1d: nope, not a chance.....still a cynic on Pgo

former1dog
11-21-2008, 07:02 AM
f1d: nope, not a chance.....still a cynic on Pgo

:D Glad to hear it, someone's got to keep us grounded.

You going to Vegas for the WCC's?

GUZagDenver
11-21-2008, 07:05 AM
I love Kool Aid

Jakester425
11-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Dave Chappelle calls it Grape Drink...sugar, water, purple lol.

TexasZagFan
11-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't think Jazz drinks kool-aid. Doesn't he prefer Napa cabs?

TZF prefers Guinness and German bier.

ToreroStudent
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Poor Rob. All he ever hears about is something he never had a part in.

former1dog
11-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Poor Rob. All he ever hears about is something he never had a part in.

He wasn't even born yet.

If Rob keeps playing like he's playing, he sure as heck is going to be known for a lot more than being the grandson of some megalomaniac.

johnwzag
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I have been drinking the Kool-Aid this year.:D

1 1/2 oz Tequila
3 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz Lemonade Kool-Aid
1/2 tsp grenadine

krozman
11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Just to expand on an answer already given.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-Aid

The earliest known use of the term in its figurative, non-literal context (that is, outside descriptions of people actually drinking real Kool-Aid), is from a 1987 quote about former Washington, D.C., mayor Marion Barry in the Washington Post.[2][3]

The term is derived from the 1978 cult suicide in Jonestown, Guyana. Jim Jones, the leader of the Peoples Temple, persuaded his followers to move to Jonestown. Late in the year he ordered his followers to commit suicide by drinking grape-flavored Flavor Aid laced with potassium cyanide. A camera from inside the compound shows a large chest being opened, clearly showing boxes of both Flavor Aid and Kool-Aid.[4] There is also testimony from criminal investigators at the Jonestown inquest stating that there were "cool aid" [sic] packets there.[5] It is unknown whether these are a reference to the Kool-aid brand packets from the trunk, or simply a generic use of the more popular brand for the product. In what is now commonly called the "Jonestown Massacre", a large majority of the 913 people later found dead drank the brew. (The discrepancy between the idiom and the actual occurrence is likely due to Flavor Aid's relative obscurity, compared to the easily recognizable Kool-Aid.) An earlier usage than 1987 can be attested at least as early as 1982 in the film "The Slumber Party Massacre" by Amy Holden Jones. In the scene where Valerie 'Val' Bates prepares Kool-Aid, she offers a glass to her sister and says "As the famous Jim Jones once said: 'should have been drinking Kool-Aid'".

The saying "Do not drink the Kool-Aid" now commonly refers to the Jonestown tragedy, meaning "Do not trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side," or "Whatever they tell you, do not believe it too strongly."[6] Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly is known for using the term in this manner.[7]

Having "drunk the Kool-Aid" also refers to being a strong or fervent believer in a particular philosophy or mission wholeheartedly or blindly believing in its virtues.[8][9]

This expression can also be used to refer to the activities of the Merry Pranksters, a group of people associated with novelist Ken Kesey[citation needed] who, in the early 1960s, traveled around the United States and held events called "Acid Tests", where LSD-laced Kool-Aid was passed out to the public (LSD was legal in the U.S. until 1966). Those who drank the "Kool-Aid" passed the "Acid Test". "Drinking the Kool-Aid" in that context meant accepting the LSD drug culture, and the Pranksters' "turned on" point of view. These events were described in Tom Wolfe's 1968 classic "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test". However the expression is never used figuratively in the book, but only literally. [10]

USF
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
To his credit, Rob Jones (San Francisco Riordan High) has never shied away from discussing his lineage. He has handled it in a very mature manner. That said, it is important to note that Rob's father is the adopted son of Jim Jones. Rob shares no DNA with Jim Jones. I have met Rob's father and he is a great guy and a great dad. Rob is a testament to his fine upbringing.

Nevtelen
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
If Rob keeps playing like he's playing, he sure as heck is going to be known for a lot more than being the grandson of some megalomaniac.

No kidding - he's been tearing it up. With the 3s I saw him hit vs Nevada, he could even move to the 3 if he had to. But he still plays the 4 very well. Props to him - I hope he has a great season (except maybe a couple of games vs GU).