PDA

View Full Version : Why Indiana beats Gonzaga Thursday

BobZag
03-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Btw, I will not feel bad at all. For this team to even make the dance is a huge accomplishment, considering schedule, travel miles, legal drama... To win the conference outright, to win the conference tourney, to earn a 10 seed out west, it's huge for a team that we all knew would be in a transitional season, losing over 50 points from Adam, Batista and Erroll.

I know the Zags' staff and they will put way too much emphasis on trying to stop Indiana's post scoring by DJ and Mike White. They double them quickly. Since you can't always deny the entry pass, IU's bigs will get plenty of touches, don't kid yourselves.

But that will be GU's undoing, imo. Only one team all season hurt GU inside with their bigs and that was at St. Mary's. All the other teams that either beat GU or gave GU the hardest time were teams whose guards shot well.

And yet, GU will continue to focus on post scoring more than defending perimeter scoring. You can bank on it. Every year it's the same. Zags will stand and watch open treys be shot, or run in vain with an arm up.

Kuso has proven all year that he can't resist jumping on pump-fakes, so he'll be in foul trouble in short order. If he ever learns to keep his feet, he'd be able to play longer due to fewer fouls.

But my main point is, look for UI to have wide open shooters who have shown that they can and will bury treys in bunches. Open shooters due to GU's fixation with collapsing into the post area. Kick-outs from UI's bigs and driving guards will become common place. Mostly to open guards on the weakside corner or wing. (UI has very good guards, btw)

GU's ability to locate shooters has been inadequate all season. Does anyone expect that to magically change now? Being realistic and objective, I don't.

Whenever Gonzaga has played tough defensive-minded shutdown defenses, the Zags offense has struggled mightily. Welcome to Kelvin Sampson basketball. It all starts with defense with Sampson whereas it all starts with offense with Few.

Defense trumps offense everytime, folks. Be it football, basketball, soccer, whatever, defense wins championships. And while I'm not saying Indiana will win a championship here, defense still trumps offense.

The Zags will battle hard, they'll give it 100%, and I think everyone with some degree of hoops IQ will be proud of the guys. I already am.

I just don't see them winning this particular game.

But it sure beats sitting at home, not worthy of playing at all. ;)

ZagDaddy
03-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Every year the pain we end up feeling in the tourney is due to a failure to defend the 3. I agree it will probably be our undoing again, maybe not this game but ultimately. What has changed to expect otherwise?

TexasZagFan
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
...when BZ posts his "Why the Zags Lose". :D

Karma's getting better, as I cast my vote for the "one-and-done".

McZag
03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
This is the BZ I know and love. :D :D

wazZag
03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Doom!

Thomas_Sutpen
03-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Excellent analysis, BZ.

I hope you're wrong--despite DJ White, Indiana doesn't have much of a post game--and that's been their undoing this year. We need to let DJ get his points and defend the 3. Mike White will not be a factor. He's solid, but he's only 6'4" and has no offense (3.4 ppg).

The thing that might save us is that Indiana's shooters are streaky. If they are cold early, it might stick.

By the by, it's IU, not UI. (sorry for the technicality, but it's a pet peeve!)

Gloom, doom, etc.

----

GoZags
03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
and I don't feel bad about it at all. Not after what this year's team has accomplished. GoZags

http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/bbyrne/GZPics/devoneshockey.jpg

23dpg
03-13-2007, 11:08 AM
He's right, we're doomed!!:( :mecry:

Zag87
03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree with the analysis. On paper you're right on. But:
The ZAGS have had reasons to lose all year. Losing 50 pts a game to start the season, losing 17 pts a game and 7 boards a game in mid-league (add the legal distractions) - Pargo's injury going into the WCC championship. Where are they? The Dance, seeded 10. They will find a way. That's just what they do!

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
I drank too much kool-aid this morning not to respond to BZ's doom and gloom post, even though I know it's his superstition to bring out the pessimism:

For this team to even make the dance is a huge accomplishment, considering schedule, travel miles, legal drama... To win the conference outright, to win the conference tourney, to earn a 10 seed out west

All GU fans should be proud of this team. They have accomplished more than what many expected. But a win come Thursday night will just add to those accomplishments. No need to stop at earning a 10 seed.

, it's huge for a team that we all knew would be in a transitional season, losing over 50 points from Adam, Batista and Erroll.

What a over-hyped worry that turned out to be. Who on here recalls all the threads at the end of the season last year with everyone panicking over how to replaced the 50 pts lost? Some of the more reasoned posters suggested that no one need worry as Few has historically found ways for his team to average @ 80 points a game. Well this year's team averaged 79.1 ppg, a whole 1.3 ppg dropped from '05-'06.

But that will be GU's undoing, imo. Only one team all season hurt GU inside with their bigs and that was at St. Mary's. All the other teams that either beat GU or gave GU the hardest time were teams whose guards shot well.

On the other side, GU beat many teams this year that had guards who shot the ball well.

And yet, GU will continue to focus on post scoring more than defending perimeter scoring. You can bank on it. Every year it's the same. Zags will stand and watch open treys be shot, or run in vain with an arm up.

Ok I can't argue with this, as much as I want to.

(UI has very good guards, btw)

I'll take GU's guards over IU's anyday, but more importanly on Thursday.

GU's ability to locate shooters has been inadequate all season. Does anyone expect that to magically change now? Being realistic and objective, I don't.

BZ, you are too focused on the wrong side of the court. GU will locate shooters and will be doing it all night. They will locate Matt in the corner, Micah on the wing, DRav coming off screens on the top, and Pendo wherever the Brewster Rooster pops up.

Defense trumps offense everytime, folks. Be it football, basketball, soccer, whatever, defense wins championships.

Tell that to the Indianapolis Colts!!!

The Zags will battle hard, they'll give it 100%, and I think everyone with some degree of hoops IQ will be proud of the guys.

Agreed.

But it sure beats sitting at home, not worthy of playing at all. ;)

Couldn't resist taking another jab at the Chickens, eh?

sonuvazag
03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Defense wins championships... aarrrrgggghhhh! Anytime a team wins, it could be correctly said that they both outscored and outdefended their opponent. Its more a question of uptempo vs. downtempo teams.

People want to say offense is more glamorous, but I hear no cliche more overused than good defense beats good offense. That and the other trusty: "good pitching beats good hitting" which is, interestingly enough, true.

Otherwise.... yes. DOOOOM!

ZagPants
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Allow myself to plagiarise... myself. If we score more points than IU, we will win. That is the key to the game.

More points > Less points

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Now this is the Bob we know and um, er...love? If anyone doubted we'd lose thursday BZ's post just solidified the W. All is right in Zagland.

ZaginLaw
03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
BobZag > Me

gozagswoohoo
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
- - - - - To Bobzag and all the other guys that agree that we'll lose- - - - - -

You can't tell, but I am giving you a 'thumbs down' sign right now.

ZagPants
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
- - - - - To Bobzag and all the other guys that agree that we'll lose- - - - - -
You can't tell, but I am giving you a 'thumbs down' sign right now.

You are being much more polite than I am.

Zag84
03-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I can't believe anyone listens to this. What a loser way of looking at things. Is there any positive that can come from this attitude? I think the team wins! Way too many good stories with this team. Let's look for the positives.

AllezZags
03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
you obviously have not seen many of Bob's pre-game predictions for important games...

He does make a salient point about us trying to sag, or double-down, too much on average bigs, only to get burned from the outside. That was a GU tendency prior to the last couple of games. However, I thought we did a much better job of playing SCU's bigs straight up and stayed at home (for the most part) on the perimeter threats. We'll have to wait and see if Few's staff also saw the improvement enough to stick with that plan.

zagfan08
03-13-2007, 01:22 PM
haha everyone new to the forum is going to hate bz now

Zag84
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
you obviously have not seen many of Bob's pre-game predictions for important games...

He does make a salient point about us trying to sag, or double-down, too much on average bigs, only to get burned from the outside. That was a GU tendency prior to the last couple of games. However, I thought we did a much better job of playing SCU's bigs straight up and stayed at home (for the most part) on the perimeter threats. We'll have to wait and see if Few's staff also saw the improvement enough to stick with that plan.

BobZag is just too pessimistic for me. He does make a point but I don't want to hear it. Tell me how the team will win. I don't want to hear anything else.

beatProgram
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
BobZag is just too pessimistic for me. He does make a point but I don't want to hear it. Tell me how the team will win. I don't want to hear anything else.

So just put him on your ignore list. End of story.

Too many Pollyanna types around here. :confused:

TheBeast
03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Tell me how the team will win. I don't want to hear anything else.

I haven't seen such unbridled optimism since I graduated and entered the real world and my soul died.

sonuvazag
03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Tell me how the team will win. I don't want to hear anything else.

Intersting... if you're looking to be blindly optimistic, it's better that I just say: GU will win.

Of course it's not our job to decide how the team will play, but a lot of people share my belief that we should extend more man-to-man pressure in an effort to force opposing players to do more to score. It seems too much that other teams tear our zone apart with open shots created by simple ball reversals.

I feel like this is the scene out of Hoosiers where the town instructs the new (few) coach how to do his job and here we are playing Indiana! Truth is, Few has done his best coaching to date the past weeks, I'm confident he knows what to do.

Relax, Zag84. I'm fairly new on the boards but the tone I get is Bobzag is a regular doomer and this is for entertainment purposes only. I don't think GU will lose because of this board.

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
What is it with BeatProgram and his disdain for what he calls the Polyanna's. I'm so TIRED of hearing that expression as it shows nothing but a closed mind, and very, very biased opinion toward truth, insight and knowledge. The reason I disagree with BeatProgram is that those he calls Polyanna's have believed in this year's Zags, and thought we'd be a lot better then others (the Nay Sayers) did. I can understand him being pissed off because he and his posse have been wrong so often.....Get used to it Ghost Riders....I enjoy you all being wrong as much as everyone else does....BZ apparantly does his negative Voo Doo because he believes it helps the team....I understand that, and it's kool. It takes a unique talent to be wrong about everything you write...I do very unusual things as well that I think will help the Zags win....Hey, what ever it takes....I love you all, and I enjoy hasseling some of you, and driving you nuts.....it gives me great pleasure.....And what is so Kool about all this; after the Zags DO Win, THESE guys will ALL tell you how great the Zags are and that they REALLY KNEW ALL ALONG that they'd win...Don't you just LOVE (oh god, there's that L word again...):) it.....I hope there's a fire burning inside ZagNation that we haven't seen YET!!!!! It's time to LIGHT THE FIRE!!!!

sonuvazag
03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I haven't seen such unbridled optimism since I graduated and entered the real world and my soul died.

LOL. That's my joke for the day. Phew.

Zag84
03-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks Rebornzag,
I feel better already. I believe Few has a good idea what needs to be done. I also believe the team is playing with a chip on their shoulders, especially Raivio.

zaguarxj
And the gathering gloom soon completely blotted out the sky, and men's hearts grew heavy as they contemplated their impending doom, when suddenly a rending shriek pierced their souls with icy terror as the foul Hoosier swooped down...

BobZag
It's time to raise the white flag, guys.

http://www.lost.com/images/surrender-2.jpg

Qhall43
03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
And all is right with the world...

beatProgram
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
What is it with BeatProgram and his disdain for what he calls the Polyanna's. I'm so TIRED of hearing that expression as it shows nothing but a closed mind, and very, very biased toward negativism. The reason I disagree with BeatProgram is those he calls Polyanna's have believed in this year's Zags, and we thought we would be a lot better then others (the Nay Sayers) did. I can understand him being pissed off because he and his posse have been wrong so often.....Get used to it BP and BZ....I enjoy you all being wrong as much as everyone else does.

:mad:

I've been as amped about this team all year as anyone... when they've been A TEAM!

The only time I'm ever "down" on them is when they're showing no motivation and not playing to their obvious potential.

Pendo might be the only male I've ever encountered that made me wish I were a woman so I could have hearty babies with so many super powers that Marvel couldn't hire enough writers to make comics about them.

I'm down on Few when he plays the zone in the face of 3-ball shooters, because HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

I'm down on people claiming Mallon is some tremendously consistent player and talent who does nothing but LIFT the state of the game when he's on the floor, because when the team is playing quick ball it's obvious to anyone with two good eyes that he's creating a net negative being on the floor at both ends. It's only when the team slows down and runs set plays that he's being effective, excepting the oddball 3 that he manages to drain from time to time.

I absolutely love the play of Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, and have been one of the biggest fans of PMAC since he came to the team, and have been hoping he'd get his confidence back and start to break out. I'm always talking up how impressive Bouldin has played as a true freshmen and WAY outside his comfort zone for position.

Most people think Kuso is some horrible liability, but I've NEVER seen a GU player improve so much from the beginning to end of one season. He's pulling down boards, blocking shots, throwing down dunks. If he ever stops going for the pump fake and giving up the easy foul he'll be a really solid post player. Oh, and his free-throws could use some help. :)

I was down on Raivio for reasons that have nothing to do with Raivio. I was frustrated with the fact that Few kept trying to funnel the offense through a guy who has almost no ability to create his own outside shot when he hadn't apparently coached the guys successfully on how to set a firm pick so that Raivio stands any chance of being able to dump his defender. Not to mention the issues with timing the incoming pass. Both of those things have improved, but they both still need a lot of improvement. My only real gripe with Raivio is that when he takes it through the lane HE NEEDS TO LOOK AT THE HOOP. A senior guard should not be hurling wild lay-ups at the bottom of the rim/backboard.

All in all I'm incredibly excited about the fact they fought really hard at the end of the season to pull things together. Few is absolutely right. GU has been playing their best basketball down the stretch that they've played all season, and it's been fun to watch.

That said. There are legitimate criticisms and concerns about plenty of facets of the team's play over the year. Mid-season was TERRIBLE at times, and the blowout losses to teams GU should/could have beaten were frustrating.

The only thing that bothers me about "Pollyanna" folks is the lavishing of praise onto performances, judgement calls, and efforts which don't seem to indicate warranting such. That and the utter inability to emotionally handle anything but the most undying of blind optimism.

If one of the players gets angry and hurls the ball at a referee's head, then I'd hope the reaction from a sensible observer would be, "WOW, that was way way out of line. He should to be suspended immediately and indefinitely." NOT "It was too bad that _____ felt like he needed to bean the ref with that ball, but at least it shows how excited and emotional he is about being a Zag. Yay! GO ZAGS!"

lothar98zag
03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm really enjoying this thread.

Carry on...

BobZag
03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Indeed. :lmao:

zaguarxj
03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
:mad:
Pendo might be the only male I've ever encountered that made me wish I were a woman so I could have hearty babies with so many super powers that Marvel couldn't hire enough writers to make comics about them.

:explode:

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm really enjoying this thread.

Carry on...
You must have some posters on iggy.

McZag
03-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Still LOL. I may calm down by tomorrow.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I know what you guys mean, Lothar and BZ... BeatProgram I really do appreciate the work you put into your posts....I like your passion as well. Don't mind me too much, I just love to have fun like this in the days preceeding the game...actually I'm looking to get into fights :mad: and arguments:D in order to prepare me for the war on game day....;) Not too many people will spar with me anymore...many of them have found their safety and comfort in a world which denies my existance. I also want to thank you BeatProgram for the Long Post....maybe the posse will go after you now.....:lmao: I also notice no one, accept me now, has said anything about Lothar's 775 posts. I wonder how many people work for him?????????

jhoop
03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I just love the way BZ gets into people's heads. I'm sending this thread to a high school bud who's a clinical psychologist. He'll have a field day disecting this one.

ZaginLaw
03-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I have always wanted to see what BZ looked like. Great Picture Bob.

What's the pin say? "Play Hoops not War"?

lothar98zag
03-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I also notice no one, accept me now, has said anything about Lothar's 775 posts.

It's actually 778, but close enough.

:D

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 03:39 PM
jhoop: let me know if he has anything to say about me....I've yet found a counselor who's been able to help me, nor understand me...Most usually give up trying and say that they think I'm from another planet......I have sometimes wondered if I am.....There were all those UFO stories going around in the 80's and 90's...I've heard some pretty wierd ones too.....I'd also like to hear what he has to say about voo doo????:D Let me know..PLEASE;)

Zag84
03-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I think maybe I took BobZag's remarks a little too seriously. That being said, I truly believe the guards are going to be too much for IU.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I can't believe anyone listens to this. What a loser way of looking at things. Is there any positive that can come from this attitude? I think the team wins! Way too many good stories with this team. Let's look for the positives.

...to the first time I saw one of these. This thread kicks arse, way too much fun. Reborn picking a fight - a Pollyanna hatred defense - the death of a soul...
classic, just awesome.

Gu sucks tailpipe though against the hoosiers, No way we win this game, hate to say it but BZ nailed it down....don't bother trying to dispute him.

ZagSlug
03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Such an amusing thread, typical Internet stuff with missed sarcasm, unrighteous indignation, and unnecessary overreactions. I am glad that you people don't have access to the "Nuclear Football"

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2005/05/05/nuclear-football-inside.jpg

A recap of the Lou Holtz method:

But even more than his on-field accomplishments, the eighth-winningest coach in history brought personality to the game. Holtz was never dull for the media and fans. His honesty and hyperbole were both endearing.
Never was there a better motivator and tougher underdog in the big games.
The constant poor-mouthing of his own team and the grandiose statements about his opponents seemed insincere and frustrated many. The reality was he wanted his team to believe and wanted the opposing players to believe the outcome was already determined.
Ever wonder why Notre Dame seemed to squeak out a tough win against a weak opponent right before a game against Michigan, USC or Miami (Fla.)? That is how you ensure your team has that extra emotional edge for the biggest moments.

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Right again Herdsman: The only thing this thread lacks is one of Bowser's special posts. Speaking of Bowser. What's happened to him. He seems to have fallen into a depression or something since the death of the old board. I guess maybe he's just going through the grieving process....

Be very careful with Voo Doo my dear friend Oldwomanasherdsman. The Catholic Church has written much about it.;) How's your mom doing, buy the way? I hope she's getting the courage to write....have you changed your id yet? That was my first thought when I first read your post...What you said about GU sucking Indian's tailpipe Thursday night just doesn't sound like you. It is either your vulnerability to BZ's ability to pursuade others to follow him (classic Voo doo) or your mom using your id. Remember my friend, what voo doo can do do, faith can do more of and do it better. GU by 3 in overtime!!!:lmao: :lmao:

jhoop
03-13-2007, 05:37 PM
jhoop: let me know if he has anything to say about me

I'll try to get a read for you Reborn, but I think he's going to have his hands full trying to analyze BeatProgram's latent desires to have Marvel babies with Pendo. Then there's the whole issue of Beast's soul dying in the real world. You guys have had me chuckling all afternoon.

RebornZag
03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah. It's really something. Those are two very interesting issues you mentioned. I'm beginning to sense the FUEGO!!!!! When it appears things begin to happen that are extraordinary....like Santa Clara losing to Pepperdine on the last day of conference play......and losing not only the conference championship but a chance to play in the NIT....people MUST BEGIN to realize at some point that they shouldn't mess with our Fuego.:D
Bad things can happen. They may have gotten our home court win streak. But we had to sacrifice something.....and for us the sacrifice was HUMONGOUS!!!! and that's why the outcome must also be humungous. It's the Newtonian law of cause and effect.....:lmao: Mount up guy's...it's time to head out!!!

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Gosh darnit!!! I was just about to praise the board for ranking this a http://216.229.189.28/images/rating/rating_1.gif thread and now somebody went and gave it a higher ranking.

You pollyana's!!! Now we're jinxed.

I'm so superstitious that I have to post something positive in this thread to counterbalance the bad vibes: Positive statement: Jessica is hot. Oh, wait, I mean Mallon will not be shut down in his last harrah at GU. There.

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Also, according to "their" records, Uber has already voted to rank this thread. So somebody else will have to cure this deficiency.

sonuvazag
03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
As far as vibe goes, you guys need worry not. I've got one gray sock and one white sock on and will for the rest of the trmt. No worries on the voodoo end of things. This has worked always.

If God weren't a Zag fan, why did he make the sky blue?

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 06:35 PM
If God weren't a Zag fan, why did he make the sky blue?

sonuvazag: That would be a great sig line.

IrishBulldog
03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
We might need to set you up with a twelve-step program.

:p

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I am the one that ranked it higher...and my argument is as follows, and Uber I believe you are incorrect!

That right there was your first mistake!

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
We might need to set you up with a twelve-step program.

:p

I blame Lothar.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-13-2007, 09:29 PM
That right there was your first mistake!

Ranking it or doubting the infallibility of Uber's interpretation? Man, I put a lot of thought into that....damnit - I thought I called you out at least enough to get a 2 liner.;)

Clarification, I didn't really put a lot of thought into it, but I typed a lot. Does that count

former1dog
03-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I blame Lothar.

That hurts. :(

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
doubting the infallibility of Uber's interpretation

That of course. By the way, I'm telling your mom!!!

UberZagFan
03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
That hurts. :(

Why's that? Because I should have included F1D as well? If so, considered the statement amended:

"I blame Lothar and F1D".

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
That of course. By the way, I'm telling your mom!!!

Damn you, may you graduate soon and watch your soul Die - just like the Zags against Indiana, i might add.

RenoZag
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
"The 2nd greatest test of courage on earth is to defeat bears without losing blood. "

Dr. Reason A. Goodwin. . .;)

former1dog
03-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Why's that? Because I should have included F1D as well? If so, considered the statement amended:

"I blame Lothar and F1D".

:clap: :agreed: :clap: