PDA

View Full Version : 3 point defense

OZZag
11-19-2008, 01:48 PM
From memory our 3 pt defense last year was a bit of a sore point.

This year so far we have allowed 15 three pointers in 53 attempts (28.3%)against mediocre competition. This is obviously a very good figure and also takes into account the period where Hall hit three in a row at the end of the first half against MSU Billings.

Teams like OKS and the like will be setup to take more threes (they are averaging 22 pg @ 39%). This will put more pressure on our defense.

I am guessing from the comments made re the first three games (defensive intensity) that with Micah healthy and Matt's improvement we should be able to cover the three point shot better, any thoughts out there?

NontradZag
11-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Only having watched the MSU Billings game, I still felt that GU had a ways to go in defending the three. It sounds like the defensive pressure was better in the UI game, which is good. I guess we'll see at the OSC when we play competition that uses the three-point shot more that what we've seen so far. I am withholding defensive judgement until after OSC.

TacomaZAG
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
this year (and healthy ones at that) to play a lot more man-to-man defense, which should really help. In years past we seemed to get beat for easy 3's out of the zone much more so than out of the man-to-man. Also, our length on the wings (Austin and Micah) when we go zone will help defend the 3.

It seems since Coach Ray arrived defense has been much more of a priority, as opposed to simply out scoring the opposition. The Zags will always be an offensive minded program but the defense seems to be a lot better than in years past. Much better balance this year between O and D.

Not a lot to draw from yet this year but I like what I see so far. We'll get a better picture against OKst but they sound like a "live by the 3, die by the 3" type of offense this year. I'm more concerned about teams that can go both inside and outside with some success, as the "penetrate and kick-out for the 3" is the most difficult 3 to defend. Jeremy and Matt's seemingly increased emphasis on defense at the point of attack (Meech too) will definitely help by hindering/stopping the dribble penetration.

Go ZAGS

MickMick
11-19-2008, 02:30 PM
How much tougher is the shot since the distance has changed?

CDC84
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
How much tougher is the shot since the distance has changed?

I saw some site which said that 3 point shooting percentage this year is only down 1% from last year. However, I don't think any statistical comparison is going to worth anything until February when teams get into conference play and the games get tighter. It will also be important to track how many 3's are being taken per game compared to last season.

zagfan08
11-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Not a lot tougher, MickMack. Division 1 shooters aren't going to miss a bunch more all of a sudden because of a small change. And I think they will still attempt a lot of them.

But yes, you could see a small dip in the overall percentage.

Colbyspapa
11-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I loved seeing Austin at the top of the full court press. He is quick and long and a huge obstacle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Few experiment with AD at the top of the key on a zone defense. Especially if we have Josh, Micah, Steven and Pargo in the game. Lots of spead and length at the sides, height and length on top and Josh in the middle.

UberZagFan
11-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Not to beat this dead horse again, but this topic irks Uber. GU has not played "a lot" of zone for a long time--let's just say many many years. Many want to blame the zone for GU's past deficiencies in defense and nothing could be farther from the truth. E.g. Uber tracked this on the prior board during some games in Ammo's senior year. At that time, the MOST GU went zone in any one of those games was just under 25% of the defensive possessions--most were under 15%. And most times it was to hide a player with foul trouble (mostly Ammo). GU's perimeter defense sucked that year--as it mostly has since then but was improved last year (and ironically, GU played more zone last year than in the prior 2-3 years).

The reasons are many--perimeter defenders that can't defend, players too slow on rotation, playing a "prevent" style D when you are ahead allowing a player to get hot that stays hot until all of a sudden the game is close, etc.

For the most part, GU has given up the three when its perimeter defender gets beat, the offensive player drives to the middle of the key/FT line and then kicks to the open three. What's frustrating is that GU has given up the first look way too much (meaning that the player guarded by the defender that came to help on the driver would be open to shoot the three). It would be nice if GU could at least make that first rotation and force the second pass--which it did a lot better job of doing last year and maybe somewhat better this year.

xjzico
11-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I saw some site which said that 3 point shooting percentage this year is only down 1% from last year. However, I don't think any statistical comparison is going to worth anything until February when teams get into conference play and the games get tighter. It will also be important to track how many 3's are being taken per game compared to last season.

Ken Pomeroy has been tracking it so far on his page. You'll find the capsule at towards the top of his ratings.

Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings (http://kenpom.com/rate.php)

As it currently stands:

3-Point Tracker (D-I vs. D-I only)
2009 to date... 3PM/3PA:32.7% 3PA/FGA:33.2%
2008 season.... 3PM/3PA:35.1% 3PA/FGA:34.4%

With OSU employing a four guard lineup I wonder not only about the combination of their 3-point shooting proficiency combined with our 3 point defense but I also wonder about long rebounds coming from all those 3 point shots. It seems the Zags got thrashed by a similar team a while back, Georgia I think, where you'd initially think they'd have a size advantage to exploit but instead Georgia's guards were good rebounders who gobled up all those long caroms for second chance points.

roxdoc
11-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Our overall defense seems much improved this year. Really a joy to watch. But alas I have not seen much improvement on the rotation against the 3. In both the games the 3 pt % was off because, luckily for us, the other side could not hit wide open shots. This could prove embarrassing against OSU with 3 to 5 sharp shooting guards on the floor at any one time. Is one of those guys looking for a career night?

zagco
11-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Zagco actually thought we looked better at the perimeter on defense last year, and he likes what he sees so far this year--we get out, and we are very, very crafty with knocking away balls. Of course, this feeling is tempered by the fact that our competition has not been real good. Still, Zagco is much happier with our perimeter defense these past couple years.

Also, the movement of the 3-point line, long overdue, should also help somewhat, because Zagco has always felt a lot of junk takes place out there from players who just should not be shooting the bomb, primarily because it wasn't much of bomb at the old distance. Now, there are going to be some players who will probably just avoid the shot altogether.

johnwzag
11-19-2008, 06:54 PM
We had Steven and Josh out most of the season. Did'nt Matt get hurt too? I remember Jeremy taking a terrible fall. Then there was bad food or the flu or something with a bunch of players.

I don't know what this year will bring, but I see everyone picking it up.
We played Davidson well at the end of the year. Micah and Matt, Ira, Austin is great as always and Josh is back. Steven Gray is playing great defense too. Intensity and competition amoung teamates to out-do each other just builds a better team. There is a lot of pride out there on the floor and I like seeing them trying to out-do the other as a team on defense. Have not seen that in years.

There is hope, but we have to wait for some real games before making judgements.