PDA

View Full Version : Not a criticism, just an observation

former1dog
11-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Daye looks a step slow to me vs. the Daye of last year.

I'm certain it has to do with his conditioning, knee brace or a combo. I hope he gets up to 100% soon.

Even at 90%, though, he's still one helluva player. :D

cjm720
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
He's been fantastic. Those steals and easy buckets looked too easy. Please stay another year (by choice, not injury)!!!

GO ZAGS!!!!!

cggonzaga
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
While I'm highly skeptical he'll stay past this year, he would be the player of the year next year if he stayed in school.

MickMick
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
As well as Austin has played, I think he has it in him to play even better. Potential lottery picks are like that. I think the best is yet to come.

Edit:

Anyone else notice what a game planning nightmare Austin has become for opposing coaches?

I'm talking about little things like defending the inbound pass. Did I see him steal two different inbounds passes and take them in for the dunk?

When the opposing coach has to take valuable minutes to plan for that, he is robbing time needed elsewhere. That is an example of how Austin impacts the game in a variety of ways.

Austin did it with length, Meech did it with speed. Double the problem.

lothar98zag
11-19-2008, 09:46 PM
While I'm highly skeptical he'll stay past this year, he would be the player of the year next year if he stayed in school.
WCC or nation?

Robzagnut
11-20-2008, 07:47 AM
The only thing that irritates me about Daye's game is the fouls.

On the offensive end he needs to stop asking/begging for calls. On the defensive end he needs to quit raising his hands up in the air with the 'Who me?" look. Yes, there are going to be bad calls and he got a few called on him, but I would like to see that stuff stop.

77Zag
11-20-2008, 09:03 AM
WCC or nation?

WCC is a no brainer -- National POY, certainly a good chance.

cggonzaga
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Nation.

gbnyba17
11-20-2008, 01:37 PM
The only thing that irritates me about Daye's game is the fouls.

On the offensive end he needs to stop asking/begging for calls. On the defensive end he needs to quit raising his hands up in the air with the 'Who me?" look. Yes, there are going to be bad calls and he got a few called on him, but I would like to see that stuff stop.

I couldnt agree more. It has bugged the heck out of me since the very beginning and it doesnt look likes its gonna end soon. ud think the coaches would be on him about it but who knows. the whiny attitude needs to stop!

MickMick
11-20-2008, 01:42 PM
The man is emotionally invested. Like Ammo and Pendo were.

ZagsGoZags
11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
true, but neither of them had that 'victim' look as much
I thought Daye's facial expressions of 'poor me' after calls went against him dropped 75% after about Dec last year. I had the impression he decided, or the coaches talked to him. I credited him for it this board somewhere.

With him the sky is the limit in talent and attitude, and he seems to be such a hard worker, too, who will take coaching -- it just doesn't get any better

he'll be our go-to guy by Feb, I think, or at least the principle go-to guy

Rubbadub
11-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I couldnt agree more. It has bugged the heck out of me since the very beginning and it doesnt look likes its gonna end soon. ud think the coaches would be on him about it but who knows. the whiny attitude needs to stop!

Because none of Gonzaga's greats ever complained abut foul calls...

Morrison, for one, was always completely stoic when he got a whistle. So were Ronny, Pendo and a slew of others before them.

former1dog
11-20-2008, 02:35 PM
As much as I want to agree with the idea that Daye and the rest of the gang should just mind their p's and q's and play the game and let the refs do their job I gotta admit to some pretty poor behaviour as a fan at games towards refs, even using language I wouldn't use in front of my mother. :o

RenoZag
11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
If the biggest criticism of Austin Daye ( or any other Zag, for that matter ) is he channels a bit of Danny Ainge re: fouls, I can live with it.

MickMick got it right.

GamblingZag
11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
He always looks at the bench like "see what they're doing to me." It comes across as whining, and is something he needs to grow out of. Making excuses is giving yourself a reason to lose.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Because none of Gonzaga's greats ever complained abut foul calls...

Morrison, for one, was always completely stoic when he got a whistle. So were Ronny, Pendo and a slew of others before them.

Must have learned it from Stockton ;)

btzag
11-20-2008, 04:19 PM
It will be interesting to see his decision for next year. Right now I also think he looks a step slow but still ridiculously talented. Probably will contend for POY in WCC but I'm doubting All-American status, kind of like Ammo during his soph year. Now if he stays for his junior year I think he projects along the same lines as Morrison. He would be on a team that needs 20-30 a night from one player and could be that goto guy. Get stronger for a year, contend for a national player of the year, get another year of education, and reach your highest potential in college before jumping to the pro's.

Or make millions a year earlier....