PDA

View Full Version : Rob Sacre Update - 11/19

BobZag
11-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Big Rob will practice 30 minutes today and work himself into condition so he will be ready, if needed, in Orlando for the Old Spice Classic. He has always been a fast healer. When he was in high school he broke his arm and was playing again in a month.

Good stuff.

tobizag
11-19-2008, 07:58 AM
excellent news bob. just made my gray seattle morning a little brighter.

MickMick
11-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Although he will likey be a bit rusty next week, did anyone get a glimpse of his game prior to the injury?

I know that I read over the summer that Micah had really improved and Bouldin was getting buff. I don't recall any posts with regard to Rob.

BobZag
11-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Rob had improved over summer.

GUZagDenver
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
It doesn't seem like this injury will ruin the progress that he made over the summer, since he really hasn't been out that long. That's good to hear that he is that quick of a healer. Some people seem to just be like that. He will give us some much needed depth and toughness down low. If we play well and beat OSU, we will need him against the big, athletic, and physical MSU.

cggonzaga
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Sorry Big Will but I can't wait for Rob to get back. This team is so loaded. Outside of Chapel Hill this could be the most talented team in the country (and I don't necessarily believe UNC is more talented).

MississppiZag
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
If needed? Does that mean when Josh is out that Sacre will be in? Or is it like a emergency situation?

bomberooski
11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry Big Will but I can't wait for Rob to get back. This team is so loaded. Outside of Chapel Hill this could be the most talented team in the country (and I don't necessarily believe UNC is more talented).

Well, this team is talented but NO WAY are they right behind (or tied with) UNC for most talented team in the country.

BobZag
11-19-2008, 10:49 AM
If needed? Does that mean when Josh is out that Sacre will be in? Or is it like a emergency situation?

Foul trouble, fatigue, end of first-half, if needed. Three games in four days. Few may want to pace his players a bit.

cggonzaga
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, this team is talented but NO WAY are they right behind (or tied with) UNC for most talented team in the country.

Hopefully we'll find out in the NC game in March! Before making such broad statements as "NO WAY" maybe look down the list of players from each team and tell me where we don't compete.

Zag365
11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Good news indeed. I keep thinking about what would happen to this team if one of the starters picked up two quick fouls in one of our upcoming OOC games in Orlando. The worst scenario IMO would be if it happened to Heytfelt, which is why it would be great to have Rob available as long as he has healed. As others have said (and I'm sure Rob and the coaches agree), don't want to push him into situation where he has a setback or on-going problem the rest of the season.

former1dog
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm excited about the potential big front line of :

Sacre (5)
Heytvelt (4)
Daye (3)

Obviously, this won't be how Few runs the team a lot of the time, but that is a big and talented front line to use on occassion.

Once and Future Zag
11-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm excited about the potential big front line of :

Sacre (5)
Heytvelt (4)
Daye (3)

Obviously, this won't be how Few runs the team a lot of the time, but that is a big and talented front line to use on occassion.

Not to mention that's where each player is most comfortable.

zagfan24
11-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I know this is off topic, but since it was brought up in this thread:

Pargo vs. Lawson
Bouldin vs. Ginyard
Meech vs. Frasor
Gray vs. Ellington
Downs vs. Green
Daye vs. Davis
Ira! vs. Thompson
Sacre vs. Zeller
Heytvelt vs. Hansbrough

We certainly can match up to their talent, even if they have more talent overall.

GUZagDenver
11-19-2008, 01:04 PM
I know this is off topic, but since it was brought up in this thread:

Pargo vs. Lawson
Bouldin vs. Ginyard
Meech vs. Frasor
Gray vs. Ellington
Downs vs. Green
Daye vs. Davis
Ira! vs. Thompson
Sacre vs. Zeller
Heytvelt vs. Hansbrough

We certainly can match up to their talent, even if they have more talent overall.

I love the Zags, but this is actually pretty easy:

Lawson
Ginyard
Meech
Ellington
Green
Daye
Thompson
Zeller
Hansbrough

It's really not even a question when it comes to talent. UNC is unbelievably talented. That doesn't mean they are a better team, or that they are a shoe-in to win it all, but they easily have 6 NBA guys on their team. It's actually not even close.

UberZagFan
11-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Good news. Against tougher competition with more skilled bigs, we will be seeing JH get in foul trouble and GU will be needing productive minutes from Sacre. The sooner he returns the better. No excuses this year.

cggonzaga
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Lawson
Ginyard
Meech
Ellington
Green
Daye
Thompson
Zeller
Hansbrough

It's really not even a question when it comes to talent. UNC is unbelievably talented. That doesn't mean they are a better team, or that they are a shoe-in to win it all, but they easily have 6 NBA guys on their team. It's actually not even close.

Couldn't disagree more but that's all I'm saying.

Once and Future Zag
11-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Tyler better than Josh?

How'd that work out for Psycho-T last time?

Zaggy
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Zeller's out for the season after breaking his wrist last night.

btzag
11-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Downs > Green, and by a large margin.

Starting 5
Lawson-Pargo = push but slightly towards Lawson
Ellington-Bouldin = Ellington
Downs-Green = Downs
Daye-Thompson= Daye
Heytvelt-Hansborough=push

Pretty even as I see it and not sure why everyone is handing UNC the championship right now...

Qhall43
11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Since this thread was originally about Sacre... From Meehan

"Injury update. Center Robert Sacre (foot) said he spent 30 minutes shoooting around Tuesday and got some individual work done.

"Hopefully Orlando, (but) that's if everything goes well," he said of his return. "I'm praying for that. Hopefully I’m going to be there and ready to play and do whatever I need to do to contribute to this team. If that means just rebounding or cheering on the bench, that’s what I’ll do.""

MickMick
11-19-2008, 06:36 PM
All the WCC boards are gonna be ranting about "those dumb Zag fans" that are comparing the team to UNC.

Shoveling coal into the boiler.

But......if the Zags sweep the OOC, I'll jump on the train too.

OZZag
11-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Since this thread was originally about Sacre... From Meehan

"Injury update. Center Robert Sacre (foot) said he spent 30 minutes shoooting around Tuesday and got some individual work done.

"Hopefully Orlando, (but) that's if everything goes well," he said of his return. "I'm praying for that. Hopefully I’m going to be there and ready to play and do whatever I need to do to contribute to this team. If that means just rebounding or cheering on the bench, that’s what I’ll do.""

You just gotta love the enthusiasm for his team and his teamates. The Zags have sure pulled together in the last 18 months. Having guys who are willing to do whatever it takes for the team and not worrying about PT or points gets everyone going the same direction.

Go Rob!, Go Zags!

cggonzaga
11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
All the WCC boards are gonna be ranting about "those dumb Zag fans" that are comparing the team to UNC.

#1) Who cares?

#2) Do you really believe we aren't equally as talented? Burger Boys don't always mean better players. Ellington is hugely overrated in my book.

Mr Vulture
11-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Lawson
Ginyard
Meech
Ellington
Green
Daye
Thompson
Zeller
Hansbrough

Lawson/Pargo is a push
Bouldin over Ginyard
Meech/Frasor is a push (this year)
Ellingson over Gray
Downs over Green (not that close)
Daye easily over Davis
Thompson over Brown
Sacre over Zeller (NC guy is out for year)
Heytvelt over Hansborough (I think this was proven a couple seasons ago)

I don't view NC as the best team in the nation...they are one of about 5-6 teams that are essentially equal....I would say that we have probably 5 NBA guys on our team as well....Pargo, Heytvelt, Downs, Bouldin, and Meech/Gray/Sacre could develop as well. They have Lawson/Hansborough that will be 1st rounders but aren't going to be impact players at the next level...additional guys would Ellingson and potentially Thompson/Zeller/Davis...

bullzag23
11-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Downs > Green, and by a large margin.

Starting 5
Lawson-Pargo = push but slightly towards Lawson
Ellington-Bouldin = Ellington
Downs-Green = Downs
Daye-Thompson= Daye
Heytvelt-Hansborough=push

Pretty even as I see it and not sure why everyone is handing UNC the championship right now...

I'd say the main reason everyone is giving UNC the title is mostly because they brought back everyone from a team that made the Final Four. Obviously it doesn't seem to be happening as they originally planned with all the injuries to date, but unless Hansbrough goes out for the entire season I think they should stay in the serious contender/favorite to win column. Talk about their depth and wealth of talent all you want, but Hansbrough is the heart and soul of that team. If he goes down, he takes most of the NC hopes with him IMO.

gum797
11-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Sounds like most of you think Ellington is better than our 2's. I think he is one of the most over-rated players in college, just my opinion. Tyler makes that team go. I really dont think there is a question that Josh is more talented than Tyler, but nobody in the country can match Tyler's talent+hustle. But we saw a couple years ago that if Josh is going hard, he will dominate him. My Uncle lives in Chapel Hill and they still talk about how they have never seen Tyler dominated like he was against josh. There is no question that we automatically get better when Rob comes back. I am looking forward to his return!

btzag
11-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I'd say the main reason everyone is giving UNC the title is mostly because they brought back everyone from a team that made the Final Four. Obviously it doesn't seem to be happening as they originally planned with all the injuries to date, but unless Hansbrough goes out for the entire season I think they should stay in the serious contender/favorite to win column. Talk about their depth and wealth of talent all you want, but Hansbrough is the heart and soul of that team. If he goes down, he takes most of the NC hopes with him IMO.

I definitely agree that they are the favorite to win it all as they have the talent, experience, coaching, and desire. I mean they went something like 36-3 last year and basically return the same group!

However there was a reason Kansas beat them by 18 to finish their season off and it had to do with talent and athleticism across the board. Both Kansas and Memphis were just in another world when it came to who they could put on the floor and even a team like UNC could not match it. Remember Hansborough elevates himself to a POY candidate half on desire than skill or athleticism. Well when you face players who play that hard and are more athletic and more skilled you are in trouble.

Basically I think the top of CBB is just not as high this year when you look at UNC, Uconn, UCLA, Mich St, Duke, Texas, and GU as your top 10 range teams. None of them are going to be at that level that Kansas and Memphis achieved and so that throws the Zags right in the mix. Don't forget that we could have 4-5 NBA players out of our team...Pargo, Downs, Daye, Heytvelt for sure have a shot and maybe Gray or others will emerge in coming years.

DrDrivel
11-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Hey, I love Josh as much as the next guy, but saying that he's more talented and a better player because of one head-to-head matchup a couple years ago doesn't make sense. Hansbrough is a legitimate low-post banger with incredible body control and abilities that, were he taller and quicker in the air, would make him an unquestioned NBA star. It's the same sort of fallacy from which it was deduced that Kwame Brown was the obvious pick over Tyson Chandler. Silly.

If you're talking about talent, talk about talent. Don't set up an artificial comparison to do the talking for you.

roxdoc
11-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Let me know when the subject gets back on the topic of this thread as I would like to hear more about Rob. Talk about a hijack!!:mad:

Who Dat
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Psycho T will NEVER be an NBA star. He is much like Jon Brockman under sized and not athletic enough. Most of the NBA scouts would agree that Josh has a much higher up-side then both Tyler and Jon.

DrDrivel
11-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Psycho T will NEVER be an NBA star. He is much like Jon Brockman under sized and not athletic enough. Most of the NBA scouts would agree that Josh has a much higher up-side then both Tyler and Jon.

You're still missing the point. Tyler destroys his competition at this level. And were it not for his lack of size and mild dearth of athleticism, he'd be destroying people at the next level, too. Josh does not destroy his competition on a regular basis - he has the potential to, but hasn't to this point. Up-side has nothing to do with this discussion, just as one head-to-head matchup cannot be the arbiter of the better player when juxtaposed with four-year resumes.

BogoZAG
11-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Lawson/Pargo is a push
Bouldin over Ginyard
Meech/Frasor is a push (this year)
Ellingson over Gray
Downs over Green (not that close)
Daye easily over Davis
Thompson over Brown
Sacre over Zeller (NC guy is out for year)
Heytvelt over Hansborough (I think this was proven a couple seasons ago)

I don't view NC as the best team in the nation...they are one of about 5-6 teams that are essentially equal....I would say that we have probably 5 NBA guys on our team as well....Pargo, Heytvelt, Downs, Bouldin, and Meech/Gray/Sacre could develop as well. They have Lawson/Hansborough that will be 1st rounders but aren't going to be impact players at the next level...additional guys would Ellingson and potentially Thompson/Zeller/Davis...

This is my first post so hopefully, I won't be making too many mistakes...
Just wanted to add that on this current Zag Team, there are for sure two possibly five future NBA prospects...Daye and Pargo, possibly Josh, Meech and Gray-if he can develop his own shot off the dribble. Bouldin and Gray are too slow IMHO for the next level. Also, regarding comparisons of Zags to UNC players...its nice to do so on paper but in comparison, Hans has played the best in the land and came out on top almost everytime, whereas, Josh only had one dominate game against top ten talent. I root for him this season to rise up to that level of play and "prove" that he can dominate at the same level as Hans...defensively he should be able to prove he can BUT our offense does not get him the ball enough in the low post, so it will be difficult to do on the offensive end.

Zaghuatanejo
11-22-2008, 01:34 AM
You're still missing the point. Tyler destroys his competition at this level. And were it not for his lack of size and mild dearth of athleticism, he'd be destroying people at the next level, too. Josh does not destroy his competition on a regular basis - he has the potential to, but hasn't to this point. Up-side has nothing to do with this discussion, just as one head-to-head matchup cannot be the arbiter of the better player when juxtaposed with four-year resumes.

I agree, but, Tyler hasn't been saddled with the injuries that Josh has. I would like to see them match up this year. Josh is finally playing like "THE JOSH HEYTVELT" that we've been hoping to see. Tyler willl be ready to roll as well, so it would be a great battle. I love the Zags, but UNC is the team to beat at this early stage of the season.